Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract

(17 Posts)
phoenix Fri 30-Nov-18 12:49:47

What a timely thread!

A year ago I was told that I had the beginning of a cataract in one eye.

Went for my routine eye test this week, and over the last year it has deteriorated at an alarming rate, so I have been referred for surgery asap! shock

Feeling very reassured after reading the posts on here!

lindiann Fri 30-Nov-18 11:21:30

Mine where small but they got worse so I was referred to hospital. I could see but like looking through a fog I can now read a number plate at a distance and road signs are so clear smile

BlueSky Fri 30-Nov-18 09:12:42

PamelaJ1 I think the NHS would treat when the time is right so guess it will be OK to wait till they refer you.

PamelaJ1 Thu 29-Nov-18 19:37:49

My husband has the beginnings of cataracts.
The NH don’t treat them until they are ‘ripe’, by which , I presume, means you can hardly see.
Should he wait or dig into savings?

wildswan16 Thu 29-Nov-18 17:14:52

Pleased it went well for you *lindiann". It is a bit scary imagining having surgery on your eyes but it really is so simple and so very well worth it. Hope you can reassure a few people in the future, and that your eye recovers well.

stella1949 Thu 29-Nov-18 16:43:06

My sister had it done a few weeks ago, quick and painless. She is now seeing without glasses for the first time since she was 14. What a blessing to live at a time when this is a possibility.

BlueSky Thu 29-Nov-18 14:25:02

Last year the optician mentioned very early cataracts this year nothing said. As I was relieved about other issues not being found I forgot all about the cataracts. Any ideas?

grandma60 Thu 29-Nov-18 12:41:08

That's great news Iindiann. Glad the Gransnet threads helped sunshine

lindiann Thu 29-Nov-18 11:33:31

Thank you all I had my Cataract done yesterday it went very well I was strangely calm the nurses were wonderful. I sat in the waiting room thinking all in the same boat. They went out looking worried and came back smiling. So I can see clearly now the rain has gone smile

M0nica Mon 17-Sep-18 21:37:10

That's great.

lindiann Mon 17-Sep-18 18:03:41

Hi I have read the other threads thank you all for your replies I feel better bout it now smile

M0nica Sun 16-Sep-18 21:36:28

lindiann, look at the list of threads discussed in the past on the health forums and you will find thread after thread on cataracts, from others as worried as you, followed by post after post saying how easy, painless and wonderful the operation is - and do not worry, there are no 'tables' just adjustable chairs.

Afterwards you will wonder why you were so nervous.

grandma60 Sun 16-Sep-18 20:59:49

I can only repeat what everyone else has said. You will be amazed by the result and wonder what you were worrying about.

Willow500 Sun 16-Sep-18 19:48:13

A friend had her first eye done in Jun and is waiting for the other one - now rescheduled for the beginning of Oct. She was absolutely terrified but said it was so quick and simple and nothing at all to be worried about. She is astounded at the clarity of sight she now has in the corrected eye and is now no longer wearing her glasses and can't wait to get the other op done! Good luck!!

Pippa000 Sun 16-Sep-18 19:32:30

I had both of mine done a couple of years ago, amazed by the improvement in vision. It was a very quick procedure and no pain involved at all.

Bridgeit Sun 16-Sep-18 19:30:01

My elderly Mother had it done, she was worried about lying still etc, she was absolutely fine & very pleased with the outcome,you will be too. Best wishes you will be fine

lindiann Sun 16-Sep-18 18:26:12

Hi Has anyone had Cataract Surgery? I am terrified and will probably do a runner before i get to the table EEK!!!