Gransnet forums

Health

Turmeric and pepper

(38 Posts)
Nanagem Mon 17-Sep-18 09:34:01

I started taking these in February, one tablet once a day. I wasn’t sure but thought nothing ventured etc.

I have noticed my aches and pains are easier and my ibs is greatly improved, but told myself it could be a coincidence IBS, has good and bad times, and aches do get better with the right weather.
I couldn’t take them for about 4 days and OMG the difference, could hardly get round the house again, and as for the stairs they were a nightmare, and my tummy, well less said. Make on them, and within a week I’ve improved.

I just thought I would post this for anyone who was interested.

Forlornhope Fri 30-Dec-22 16:38:42

I started taking turmeric and black pepper tablets a couple of months ago. I’ve acid reflux problems and take an omeprazole type medication plus suffering from IBS so always closely monitor any new addition to the diet. I was driven to giving t & bp another go (tried capsules previously but react badly to the cellulose or whatever the capsules are made from) by persistent pain in my hip. It seems to have improved things. I dropped to a tablet alternate days (some niggle or other started up) and that seems enough to keep up the good work.

ExperiencedNotOld Fri 30-Dec-22 16:23:48

I’ve tried turmeric twice, persisting through a 30 tablet cycle and they do nothing for me apart from make me feel queasy. However, I now use a Turmeric oil rub that does work very well, alongside green lipped muscle capsules.

Kim19 Fri 30-Dec-22 16:03:59

Don't yet feel the need for this addition to my intake. Daily CLO capsule and very healthy breakfast seems to have held me in really good stead thus far.

AMVital Fri 30-Dec-22 15:58:56

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AMVital Fri 30-Dec-22 15:38:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 18:24:25

I make turmeric and black pepper vodka.

Ooooh, now you're talking Merlotgran grin

I particularly like the idea that it might help with sleep. Mind you, I have a drinks cupboard so I suppose I could just raid that for a night-cap!

BBbevan Thu 05-Sep-19 18:16:11

Apparently tumeric is also beneficial for those with early AMD. Along with saffron and marigold .

Oldandverygrey Thu 05-Sep-19 18:14:50

My husband started taking turmeric tablets, but it affected his medication and made him quite ill - so do be careful.

merlotgran Thu 05-Sep-19 18:10:40

I make turmeric and black pepper vodka. It's great for colds and sore throats and will guarantee you a good night's sleep. grin

Nonnie Thu 05-Sep-19 16:36:08

Bathsheba Thu 18-Oct-18 17:06:05I agree and was going to say the same until I read your post.

DH is prone to trying anything he reads about from Holland & Barrett etc but I am always wary and check very carefully. Many of us are on some form of medication and should always check before buying any of the over the counter pills.

Day6 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:34:25

I use turmeric and black pepper in cooking, quite often and I take Omeprazole. That's an interesting finding.

I bought tiny little turmeric and black pepper pills about 6 months ago, hoping they'd help with inflammation and nerve damage but I keep forgetting to take them!! confused

Cannot really draw any conclusions other than to say I shall now start taking them every day, given I paid good money for them! smile If they have adverse effects on my digestion, in terms of acid balance I'll report back.

PamelaJ1 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:21:29

‘Natural’ remedies do have contra indications too as pa20 found out. Some medications can react with it.

Strange though that the turmeric should cause inflammation, it is supposed to help reduce it not exacerbate it.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Sep-19 15:12:54

The rose hip tablets I mentioned higher up made no difference what so ever didn’t do diddlers squirt a few people said they helped but the majority on the trial felt no relief at all
Having said that I ve tried most thing that make no difference either

vissos Thu 05-Sep-19 14:59:05

Tried them, gave me heartburn (which I'm prone to)

pa20 Thu 05-Sep-19 14:36:40

Please beware of turmeric and black pepper. I took 500 mg twice a day for 2 weeks and did not notice any difference in arthritic pain. I then got diarrheah really bad, with terrible cramps. I then started passing pure blood. I landed up in hospital on a drip, had a ct scan and colonoscopy. I have never experienced anything like this before. I am 68 years old. If I have no more problems, hospital says no further action. Ct scan showed some inflammation which is now going down according to blood tests and colonoscopy. I am fairly sure this is due to turmeric combined with black pepper which some people can be sensitive too. I really think more attention sgould be drawn to this as I would not want anybody else to go through what I have been through. Thank goodness I did not double my dose as suggested by company. I am not naming the company but have seen many posts about diarrheah and even hospitalisation.

Greyduster Fri 19-Oct-18 08:53:37

I was going to start on turmeric until I read about the contraindications for reflux medication. I might look at the rose hip though.

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:06:41

Well looking at my previous post it's just a month since I ordered these for my husband - at first he said they weren't working but then a couple of weeks in he tentatively said his sciatica was a bit better. He's still on them and although he does get twinges he's nowhere near as incapacitated as he was and has managed to walk round the supermarket the last couple of weeks without having to go and sit down. Result!

janeainsworth Thu 18-Oct-18 17:24:01

missadventure Mot sure what you mean by your 'always there' pimple but perhaps you should get it looked at. Things that don't heal can be suspicious.

BlueBelle Thu 18-Oct-18 17:16:21

I signed up for that trial on here of rose hip tablets and started taking them last Sunday I ll let you know how it goes

Bathsheba Thu 18-Oct-18 17:06:05

There are some contraindications for turmeric when taken with certain medication, such as drugs for blood thinning, for stomach acid reduction, or for diabetes.
I take omeprazole to reduce stomach acid, so I never use turmeric, as it appears that if taken in combination this can actually increase stomach acid.
So perhaps people should exercise caution if they are already on certain medications.

juicing-for-health.com/do-not-consume-turmeric-if-on-these-medications

JackyB Thu 18-Oct-18 16:42:33

I got some of these capsules recently and have been taking them for a few days. Haven't noticed any difference yet.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Sep-18 22:03:04

I've just started putting turmeric cream on my 'always there' pimple, which has recently had its first birthday.
I shall report back if there is any improvements.

MargaretX Mon 17-Sep-18 21:47:04

I've read a lot about tumeric but the scientific trials I looked up had not had a positive result but that might have changed now. For myself I find that the less fine wheat flour I eat the better I am, and usually take extract of rosehip (the centre not the flesh) to ease my knees. I'm told dancers take it regularly.
Its good to keep on trying things out.

JackyB Mon 17-Sep-18 21:36:30

Can you taste the pepper in the tablets (capsules)? This sounds too good to be true. I'd try it if I wasn't worried about choking on the pepper.

Grannyknot Mon 17-Sep-18 20:06:50

No I haven't. I'll try it ?, is it strong in taste?