Gransnet forums

Health

Bell’s Palsy: The Mysterious Syndrome You Need To Know About

(14 Posts)
Lynne59 Fri 19-Oct-18 17:34:17

I can remember my dad having it - he must have been in his 70s then. My son's friend (30s) had it recently, and it was about 2 or 3 months before his face looked normal again.

valeriej43 Fri 19-Oct-18 10:46:00

I had Bells Palsy about 10 years ago, was due to go in for cataract surgery but had to delay it,
Woke up looking like Quasimodo, got to Drs quickly and had antivirals, took months to look normal again though,, and still get tightness on that side if stressed

mrsmopp Fri 12-Oct-18 17:29:22

My mother had this quite badly but I don't recall any medication for it. She said it was stress related having two teenage daughters going through a rebellious stage.
So we believed it was our fault. Probably right.

sunseeker Thu 04-Oct-18 09:42:17

I had this last year - I thought it was a mild stroke. I live alone so rang 999 then packed an overnight bag and waited. At the hospital it was diagnosed as Bell's (I was also told off for not ringing earlier!). It took several months to clear and now one eye still droops slightly but is hardly noticable. The important thing is to get treatment as soon as possible.

Grannyboots1 Thu 04-Oct-18 09:22:13

I had it in my fifties. My workmates noticed my eye was not shutting, went straight to the doctors. It took at least six weeks for my symptoms to disappear.

Marthjolly1 Thu 04-Oct-18 09:16:56

Two of my friends had this (Different parts of my life) , both years back now. Uncomfortable condition and took quite a long time to heal but both made full recovery.

PamelaJ1 Thu 04-Oct-18 09:05:08

My mum had it but it’s hardly noticeable now.
Botox can help to relieve the paralysis.

harrigran Thu 04-Oct-18 07:52:48

DS had it a few years ago, it was so marked that he was admitted to a stroke unit. More or less made a full recovery.

BlueBelle Wed 03-Oct-18 22:21:03

I think it’s quite common as I seem to know quite a few people who’ve had Bells including my cousin

NanKate Wed 03-Oct-18 22:18:23

My dad had it and over time it improved but not 100%.

MiniMoon Wed 03-Oct-18 22:09:07

Thank you for this Felicia1. We do need to know about Bell's Palsy.
I went to visit my mother one day and noticed that her face had lost some movement on one side. I made her visit the GP there and then. He diagnosed Bell's Palsy and gave her drugs to alleviate the symptoms. It took two or three months to return to normal. She was always very grateful that I had chosen to visit her that day, as the damage might well have been much worse.

Anniebach Wed 03-Oct-18 22:08:08

I had Bell’s Palsy. Had never heard of it, was relaxing chatting to my young daughters, went to the loo, washing my hands glanced in the mirror and a twisted side of face, side of mouth dropped, face numb, thought stroke, amazingly I was very calm, didn’t want to alarm my daughters, packed them off to bed, phone the GP, he came to the house , examined me then said Bell’ Palsy , see Dr x in the morning. Saw my GP next morning at the hospital had cortisone injection and was shown facial exercises to do. It eventually cleared up, this was the early 80’s, at times I feel a nerve pulling at the side of my mouth if I am upset or stressed but no dropping of the side of my face.

Don’t be afraid of it

kittylester Wed 03-Oct-18 22:03:28

confused

Felicia1 Wed 03-Oct-18 21:54:33

drmonicatadros.com/the-mysterious-syndrome-you-need-to-know-about-bells-palsy/