Gransnet forums

Health

Reverse shoulder replacement

(5 Posts)
Chipharris Sat 06-Oct-18 22:05:23

I had a right reverse shoulder replacement 6 weeks ago, following 3 rotator cuff repairs, the last of which failed in May 2017. I am 6 weeks post surgery, doing home rehab exercises 3 x daily. All seemed to be ok and was off all pain meds after 7 days. However, although I can do the appropriate movements expected at this early stage, I am still experiencing the same pain I was in a month ago. I expected the pain would lessen a little each week, but sometimes just sitting resting my shoulder/arm I can still feel a pulsing throb of pain.

I’m not due to see my surgeon) or a member of his team) till 5 months post surgery. I am worried that I may have an infection or some inflammation going on and don’t know what to do. Am I worrying needlessly or should I be pro-active at this stage. Any advice would be really appreciated.

aggie Sat 06-Oct-18 22:16:53

I haven't had that procedure , but was told after my hip op last year , to ring the ward if I had any worries or problems post op

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Oct-18 22:33:24

I think that 6 weeks is too soon to be thinking that you should be free from pain- you have had major surgery and your poor deltoid muscle among others has taken a battering. Good that you are doing your exercises religiously. I agree, if in any doubt ring the ward for help initially.

Chipharris Sun 07-Oct-18 07:47:52

Aggie and Charleygirl5

Thanks for your replies. I am seeing the physio next week (for the first time) so I will ask her and be guided by what she thinks.

J52 Sun 07-Oct-18 08:03:57

flowers for you. Hope you’re feeling a bit better today.
I can only go by breaking my shoulder at the ball joint. Every movement to my body hurt the shoulder area. So much sympathy to you.
When I did the break, it was the beginning of April and I was not fully recovered until September, so it is early days.
I hope the pain eases soon.