Gransnet forums

Health

Can I send Calpol to Australia?

(19 Posts)
nanasam Tue 09-Oct-18 10:48:17

Hello all,
My son has asked if we can send some Calpol for our 1 yr old GD. He can't buy it in Australia and the local equivalent is not as effective. I can't seem to find a definitive answer online. Has anyone had any experience of this? Thanks!

Daddima Tue 09-Oct-18 11:02:54

Calpol is just the brand name for paracetamol, which I imagine is widely available in Australia ( though it might be sold under other brand names, like Panadol)

Greenfinch Tue 09-Oct-18 11:09:11

I think it has been proved to be not very effective anyway.

CassieJ Tue 09-Oct-18 11:11:07

I can't imagine that you can send it to Australia. There are lots of restrictions on sending medications abroad.
As Daddima says, Calpol is liquid paracetamol, so they will be able to buy the equivalent in Australia.

My son lives in Canada and they buy Tylenol, or whatever equivalent there is to that.

MiniMoon Tue 09-Oct-18 11:22:32

I read that you cannot send pharmaceutical products to Australia. I think any paediatric paracetamol suspension would be more or less the same as Calpol. After all, it's just a trade name. I'm sure that Australia will have something equivalent to it.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 09-Oct-18 12:16:45

They definitely have an equivalent, have bought it when we have traveled there with our young children.

Apricity Tue 09-Oct-18 12:22:51

Children's paracetamol in various forms is readily available in Australia. Import restrictions on pharmaceuticals are very tight and any parcels will probably be confiscated on entry. Suggest your son has a chat with his local pharmacist about any concerns about the Oz product being less effective. It may be a simple matter of dosage.

Nanabilly Tue 09-Oct-18 12:27:14

I have just sent a message to my 2 nieces who live in Australia and both are young mum's so will know.
Is your dil "into" brands and thinks the paracetamol syrup is not as good.
It is exactly the same product I assure you. Check the ingredients and percentages of these one against the other..
Will let you know when I get a reply

nanasam Tue 09-Oct-18 13:18:23

Thank you, all, for your help. GD liked the taste of Calpol so maybe a squirt of strawberry juice in liquid paracetamol will do the trick!

Nanabilly Tue 09-Oct-18 13:39:23

My niece has replied about calpol.
They can only get Panadol and Nurofen for children but have to give them both together for good results.
I would not advise posting meds to Australia as you could end up in trouble with customs and excise.

DoraMarr Tue 09-Oct-18 13:57:03

Panados and Neurofen are both liquid paracetamol. Paracetamol is toxic in large doses, so has you nice checked with her doctor or pharmacist before giving both together?

Daddima Tue 09-Oct-18 14:06:32

Nurofen is the brand name for Ibuprofen, which is an anti- inflammatory drug which can treat pain caused by inflammation, and may safely be taken with paracetamol.

Please speak to your pharmacist before giving ANY drugs to children.

Beau Tue 09-Oct-18 14:15:19

My SIL is a consultant and always gives DGS alternate doses of Calpol and Nurofen at 2 hour intervals if he has a very high temperature - he insists the danger of a febrile convulsion outweighs any tiny risk - which he says doesn't exist anyway ?

BlueBelle Tue 09-Oct-18 17:58:59

I ve always been advised to take ibrufen and paracetamol separately even for adults at 2 hourly intervals
I also don’t think you can send any type of pharmaceuticals by post

nanasam Tue 09-Oct-18 18:11:31

Thanks all, DS has now sourced cherry flavoured Panadol and will give it a go.

Melanieeastanglia Tue 09-Oct-18 20:46:04

I don't believe you can send medication to Australia through the post. You could ask the assistants at the Post Office as they're bound to know.

notanan2 Tue 09-Oct-18 20:54:45

There are signs up in kids areas of A&Es asking parents NOT to give both ibuprofen and paracetamol together until after they have seen a HCP, because if you give one or the other and the child still has pain or a temp then they need to be checked over, THEN they can have both.

Both together are also contraindicated in some childhood illnesses. And can PROLONG illnesses.

notanan2 Tue 09-Oct-18 21:05:56

Nurofen is the brand name for Ibuprofen
Neurofen is a brand with a range of products, some of which include paracetamol.

BlueSky Wed 10-Oct-18 21:42:58

I send OTC medication to Australia for my grandchildren on a regular basis. You can send up to 3 month worth in a single mailing and must declare the items and value on the custom form. I never had any problems.