Gransnet forums

Health

Vertigo

(9 Posts)
ValC Wed 10-Oct-18 17:00:38

I am just about getting over a bout of positional vertigo, with the accompanying sickness etc. The last attack was about 3 or 4 years ago and I was hoping that would have been the last. It is so debilitating and knocks me off my feet for days. The first attack I had I stupidly waited till my Dr's surgery was open and requested a home visit. I was given an injection in my leg and some tablets to dissolve under my lip, and was told if it happens again not to wait and call out the standby Dr. This I did but I was redirected to the 111 no, eventually getting to speak to a doctor about an hour later who said he would send some tablets which arrived at 4 a m. Tablets and sickness don't go together very well. I was wondering if anyone who suffers with this could give me some advice, I am dreading the next attack. Thank you

DoraMarr Wed 10-Oct-18 17:41:07

I have bvp- benign positional vertigo, which is mild in my case, although I have had full-blown attacks of viral vertigo like you are experiencing. I’m afraid the only thing you can do is ride it out, and take the anti- emetic drugs if they work for you (they just made me sicker.) I do Tai Chi which has helped with balance. I’m just careful how I move my head, especially first thing in the morning, and I always request to raise my head if I’m having a medical or at the dentist etc. I found eating toast and honey and drinking tea helped when I was feeling sick. It’s miserable, but it will pass, and you may not have such a severe attack next time, or ever. Flowers

DoraMarr Wed 10-Oct-18 17:41:36

Sorry, meant to add flowers emoji!

SueDonim Wed 10-Oct-18 18:07:44

I've had the same issue as you in the past and even been hospitalised with it. It's absolutely vile. flowers

Buccastem tablets are available from a chemist shop without prescription - they're the ones you dissolve on your gum. Could you ask someone to go and buy you some? Don't take them with the doctor's tablets, though, in case they don't mix together!

Also, if you're able to investigate the Epley Manoevere, that might help you.

Get well soon.

ValC Wed 10-Oct-18 18:45:42

Thank you so much for your replies, I tried some toast doramarr but couldn't get it down, I didn't know you could get those tablets at the chemist suedonim, I will get some in and also look into the manouvre you mentioned. Its absolutely vile and I think living alone makes you feel more vulnerable.

Bopeep14 Wed 10-Oct-18 18:48:54

I get this not had an attack for a while thankfully but what works for me are travel sickness tablets. Worth a try. It’s awful isn’t it.

JenniferEccles Thu 11-Oct-18 12:16:04

I have PM you

silverlining48 Thu 11-Oct-18 12:57:33

Betahistine prescribed plus buccastem and injections if necessary usually work. I was 4 years clear of attacks and quietly celebrating, until earlier this year when another one happened, no warning, but I did have a very bad cold and cough. I now get a flu jab in the hope this may help avoid, it’s horrible and being alone is so much worse, at least I have my dh to help me.
Hope you feel better soon Val.

ValC Thu 11-Oct-18 16:19:45

Thank you al so much. I had my flu jab about 4 weeks ago silverlining. My own lovely doctor, (who unfortunately has now left and am at the mercy of a very unsympathetic one), gave me an injection and buccastem last time quite early on so helped a lot but this time was at the mercy of 111 who hours later sent me some phroclorperazine and still 4 days later am really unsteady on my feet and although the sickness has stopped the nausea hasn't. Thank you JenniferEccles for the very helpful pm you sent to me. It amazes me how you can be as right as rain one minute then the next you are thrown off your feet with no warning whatsoever.. Once again many thanks to you all