Gransnet forums

Health

Senile Purpura

(10 Posts)
aella Fri 12-Oct-18 13:33:11

I get a lot of these marks and was looking for possible causes and it said that Aspirin and Ibruprofen can contribute to them, I take them regularly for Arthritis so may have to stop now after over zealous scrubbing of my neck and ears after colouring my hair as left me lookig very battered!
And don't you just love the name!!

nanaK54 Fri 12-Oct-18 13:45:52

My DH is a fellow 'sufferer' apparently it is the steroids in his inhalers that cause this for him

silverlining48 Fri 12-Oct-18 13:58:15

My dh gets these all the time, he never recalls knocking himself despite the bruising sometimes being massive. It goes and then returns. Inexplicable. His meds havnt been mentioned as a cause, but will enquire next time.

KatyK Fri 12-Oct-18 14:19:42

I get these all the time, small ones though, usually on my arms. They spring up overnight. I never take aspirin or ibuprofen. I have been getting the marks for years.

annsixty Fri 12-Oct-18 14:23:44

My H gets them, we put it down to firstly warfarin and now Apixaban

Fennel Fri 12-Oct-18 15:29:46

I've had them for years. I always thought they were due to taking various so called blood thinners. The least little tap and blood floods to the surface of my very thin skin.

ninathenana Fri 12-Oct-18 15:32:06

The penny drops !

Mum used to get these they often occured on the backs of her hands or wrists when she was in the care home. DB and I could never work out how she (??) had hurt herself.
I've never heard of this condition.

FlexibleFriend Fri 12-Oct-18 15:37:26

Warfarin, apixaban, and Aspirin are all blood thinners so usually cause you to bruise easily. Ibuprofen is a nsaid which interferes with the way and time the blood clots. So basically your bleeding under the skin just as when you bruise.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Oct-18 18:50:46

My mum used to get these too.
It was an oft used phrase around these parts, as soon as a grandchild went near her..
"MIND NANNY'S LEGS!!"

Lynne59 Fri 12-Oct-18 20:28:07

Senile (simply means old-age) perpura is regularly seen in older people as the skin thins when we get older.

Warfarin doesn't thin the blot (nothing actually makes the blood thinner), it merely alters the clotting factor.