Gransnet forums

Health

Vaso vagal episodes

(10 Posts)
BlueSky Tue 16-Oct-18 17:33:27

I've had these episodes which I put down to vasovagal attacks (after googling symptoms) for the past 10 years + where I suddenly feel like I'm going to pass out: dizzy, hot, queasy stomach etc. When I'm at home I promptly go to bed and stay there until the feeling has passed. Recently being out I actually fainted, luckily I managed to sit down and when I came to DH was there all worried. This time he made me go the GP and I'm being investigated. I'm usually quite fit even if suffering from high BP controlled by medication. I'm of retirement age. Any similar experiences?

fourormore Tue 16-Oct-18 19:40:14

Hi Bluesky I have suffered from VV episodes for many years. Basically it is a posh word for a faint but fortunately I generally get warning.
It has been described to me as, that for some unknown reason, my BP suddenly drops. Once I get the 'wave' warning I know that if I don't go to the ground, the ground will come to me!
It is a bit of a pain, but it is 'liveable with' so please don't worry at least until your investigations are complete. I see that you are on medication for high BP. It could be something as simple as the medication may be lowering your BP too much?
I am NOT a medic so please don't take this as official - but my experience is that, if I can, I prevent actually passing out, by going to the floor and raising my feet onto a chair or something. The blood then returns to my head. If I leave it too late and I pass out, all I need is someone to check I am breathing (and have a pulse!) and raise my feet as before. I 'come round' after a few minutes.
After each episode I usually feel a bit washed out for 24hrs but then I am fine again.
It is a good idea to let your work colleagues (and anyone around you) know that it may happen so that they don't panic. I may have several episodes in a short period of time, or I can go for 2 years or more, so the chances of them witnessing an episode is not high.
A friend of mine knew it was a possibility, then one day it happened in front of her. She has since told me that although it was a bit frightening when it happened she was glad she knew and that all would be ok.
The real nuisance is not knowing if, or when, it will happen so, as I had small children when they first started happening, I bought an SOS talisman bracelet and put the details of my GP, contacts etc. into it. I still wear it!
I also carry smelling salts in my handbag - just in case!
Good luck and please don't worry - my feeling is - never worry until you know there is something to worry about! flowers

BlueSky Tue 16-Oct-18 20:11:07

Thank you Fourormore! What a lovely reassuring answer! Yes I was thinking of a SOS talisman bracelet if I was out and about on my own (I even travel on my own but this episode has scared me a bit). And yes my usually high BP had dropped dramatically for unknown reasons (Medication don't usually achieve this feat)! Will do as you say and stop worrying about it right now! flowers

Luckygirl Tue 16-Oct-18 21:28:45

I have had 2 episodes that have both been preceded by an acute needle-like pain between my ribs; and both occurred as I was in the act of lying down in bed. The second time I was unconscious for 40 minutes! I have had a ton of investigations and still none the wiser as to what is happening. There were 7 months between each episode and it is 7 months since the last one - so I fear that one might be due!

MargaretX Tue 16-Oct-18 21:51:47

Have you thought that your BP medication might be to blame. that your BP falls after taking meds. Try taking less. take half a tablet (if it is a tablet that has half line on it)

popsis71 Tue 16-Oct-18 22:14:54

I have had similar. Mine is due to an inherent low BP combined with long term medication that has the side effect of lowering my BP. I have had several incidents of crashing out. Mine always occur after a day of heavy physical exercise followed by a large meal. Have been thoroughly checked out at our local A & E Hilton. I guess that my body can no longer be expected to do the exercise, digest a meal and keep me sitting upright. I'm not giving up the exercise though !

popsis71 Tue 16-Oct-18 22:20:55

..... also best of luck !!

Grammaretto Tue 16-Oct-18 23:13:57

I had this recently on the bus returning from a gransnet meet up!
I felt as you describe: nauseous, hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. I passed out and the next thing I knew a fellow passenger, an off duty nurse, was holding my hand, taking my pulse. She'd stopped the bus and called an ambulance.
I had loads of tests but nothing bad found apart from a tendency for low BP. I'm not on any medication. It was called a vaso vagal syncope. I have fainted before- sometimes at the sight of blood associated with shock - but not often.
It has left me feeling nervous and I try to avoid crowded buses.

fourormore Wed 17-Oct-18 10:22:30

Grammaretto that is exactly my experience - and it is so difficult not to be left feeling nervous as we never know if it will happen again. Your feelings of hot, sweaty etc. are like my warning - a wave of yeuk! Difficult if you are on a bus!
I would suggest smelling salts - old-fashioned but they do work. I have sourced them on-line so contact me if you need details. Just knowing I have them helps psychologically!
I started this when pregnant (some 40 years ago!) - at that time it was written off as being pregnant. Since then I have gone over 2 years between episodes on occasions and sometimes had several in a few weeks - there is no sense!
There seems to be no obvious trigger but I would recommend all of you 'fellow fainters' to keep a diary of the date, time and place and also whether you had just eaten or what you had been doing.
It is hard not to constantly think "is it going to happen today?" I have trained myself to be prepared but not expect it as we can't live our lives waiting for something to happen that may not happen again!
Good luck everyone! flowersflowersflowers

Granny23 Wed 17-Oct-18 10:49:15

I echo everything that fourormore has said, having suffered these fainting fits off and on since puberty. I have naturally low blood pressure but it has been explained to me that the 'fault' lies in the mechanism which should readjust blood pressure following a sudden drop due to a shock e.g. bad news, sudden sharp pain, bleeding or claustrophobia due to being 'trapped' in a hot, crowded place such as a bus.

In some people the regulating mechanism does not work properly and their blood pressure drops to the floor, only rising again when they fall or lie down with head below body. Once I understood what was happening I was able to recognise the warning signs and seldom now have a full blown episode.