Gransnet forums

Health

Cough

(17 Posts)
ayse Mon 26-Nov-18 12:22:38

My DH seems to have a cough that does not seem to go away. He says it’s too trivial to bother the doctor but I think he should at least arrange a telephone appointment to discuss it.
What do you think?

Greyduster Mon 26-Nov-18 12:39:52

Is this the same long standing ‘trivial’ cough as I have just nagged my DH into going to see the doctor about? He sent him for an X-ray. We are awaiting the results. I don’t believe that long standing coughs are trivial. Make him an appointment.

Jane10 Mon 26-Nov-18 12:43:40

My DH had an irritating dry cough. I read on GN that it can be a side effect of Ramipril. He asked to change meds and lo and behold the cough disappeared. Is that a possibility for your DH?

wildswan16 Mon 26-Nov-18 12:44:18

NHSinform tells us we should go to the doctor
1) with a cough for more than three weeks,
OR 2) if it is getting worse
OR 3) you cough up blood, have shortness of breath or chest pain.

Willow500 Mon 26-Nov-18 12:58:16

My DIL has had a cough for months and had quite a lot of tests but they can't seem to find anything wrong. The NHS advise above is right and you should get him to go to the GP even if it's just to put your mind at rest.

ayse Mon 26-Nov-18 13:01:39

Thank you for that. He’s just said he will get it checked out so I’ll wait with bated breath.

Marydoll Mon 26-Nov-18 16:02:14

Today after over fortnight of coughing, wheezing and barking, I was given antibiotics. and steroids. Doc told me I should have gone sooner.☹️
I have croup, laryngitis and a chest infection. Serves me right, I should have listened to DH. He isn't usually right.?

ayse Mon 26-Nov-18 16:16:26

Well, he hasn’t contacted the surgery yet! I wonder how long I’ll have to hold my breath?

Marelli Mon 26-Nov-18 17:32:03

Jane 10 , my DH has also had his prescribed Ramipril changed to another medication due to coughing. He's had a cough for years, due to a bit of scarring on his lung which probably came about by not wearing a protective mask when working in a dusty atmosphere, and that may never improve.
However, if I'd not nagged him to see the GP, he wouldn't have 'happened to mention' in the surgery that he'd been having a 'bit of an achy chest when out walking'.... Triple heart-bypass followed not too long afterwards, and 8 months later he's as fit as a flea (but still has a cough)!

Marelli Mon 26-Nov-18 18:04:43

I must add that the Ramipril was possibly making the cough DH already had, even worse.

NfkDumpling Mon 26-Nov-18 18:49:27

A persistent cough can be caused by stress, a hiatus hernia, a smokey fire, lung cancer. Many things. It needs checking out.

Jane10 Mon 26-Nov-18 19:35:24

DH is a regular at the surgery! He must be one of the most rigorously monitored patients in the NHS!

Katyj Mon 26-Nov-18 19:50:51

My DH has had a cough for two years sometimes it better than others.He's had a x ray which came back clear, thank goodness the Dr thinks it may be reflux so gave him an antacid, this hasn't worked.I wondered if it might be a side effect of his statin simavastin, but the Dr says that's not likley either, so back to square one .

Grammaretto Wed 28-Nov-18 16:31:57

Marydoll I hope your cough had cleared up now?.
I have had a cold for over a week which is better but the hacking cough persists . I was going to ask for a favourite remedy but should I go to the doc?

Marydoll Wed 28-Nov-18 17:00:05

Grammaretto, I still have it! sad. There is a slight improvement, but I'm still barking like a dog. Steroids and antibiotics always take about a week to start working for me
I've been banished to the spare room, but don't tell DH, I quite like the peace and quiet! grin
If you are worried, either ask your pharmacist or try and get a GP appointment.
I hope you feel better soon.
Are you going to the Edinburgh lunch? I'm going, cough or not! grin

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 21:40:50

Marydoll I'm so sorry you are still suffering. I'm missing a concert this evening due to the cough and just feel lethargic . We don't have a spare room at present but mine hasn't been too bad at night (DH or cough).
Is it the 12th? I am still waiting for DD to tell me if she needs me to babysit that time. I don't suppose the Edinburghers want babies as well as a cough.

Marydoll Thu 29-Nov-18 21:47:06

Gramaretto, have you seen a doctor? I kept putting it off, thinking I could self medicate. I could have nipped it in the bug.
Now I have a fortnight of steroids and antibiotics.☹️
Mine was caused by a combination of flu jab, looking after toddler with croup and low immune system.
I hope you feel better soon.
It is the 12th for lunch. I hope you can make it.