Gransnet forums

Health

Bakers cyst

(15 Posts)
overthehill Tue 27-Nov-18 19:57:56

Couple of weeks ago me & DH went on long coach trip to Durham (we live in London).

Whilst there we were taken out and about. The last evening I noticed DH's legs had swollen up. I am a fidget so move legs constantly whilst sitting on the coach, he on the otherhand doesn't. Next day legs had gone down and he was careful to move his legs.

Two weeks forward and he was having a bit of pain walking. Last Friday we went to the Ideal Home Show and he could hardly walk.

His left leg was swollen and he could barely get his jeans off that leg. I immediately thought DVT so next day up the hospital. To our relief it was a Bakers cyst and the swelling was caused by fluid.

Now I've done some research and cannot find any connection between long distance travel and the cyst, but to my mind it is too much of a coincidence. Anyone else experienced this?

A warning to anyone on coach trip treat it like air travel move you legs pethaps wear flight socks.

Farmor15 Tue 27-Nov-18 23:59:07

I don’t know anything about Baker’s cyst but have experienced ankle and foot swelling on long flights and long bus or train journeys. Then I got flight socks and as well as presumably reducing risk of clots, they prevented the swelling which was quite uncomfortable as shoes would get too tight. The “socks” I got are quite thin but very firm, so provide good compression.

harrigran Wed 28-Nov-18 09:14:09

The people I know, who have had Baker's cyst, have been athletic and cyclists. I believe it is wear and tear on the knee joint causing fluid to build up in the capsule and collect behind the knee. My BIL had the operation and was fine after, DH's cousin had the op and he didn't allow enough time for recovery and has remained in pain.

merlotgran Wed 28-Nov-18 09:23:47

I had a Baker's cyst about six years ago due to wear and tear. I've had dodgy knees since my horse riding days!

The pain and stiffness definitely affected my mobility and even after it drained naturally - a horrible feeling like boiling water trickling down the back of my leg, I had muscle weakness so it took months to get fit again.

All fine now though so I hope it doesn't return.

Jangran99 Wed 28-Nov-18 09:38:33

My DH had these cysts behind both knees and were attributed to his intensive marathon training and cycling. They would be drained and recur. Fortunately he no longer pursues such daft strenuous hobbies!

millymouge Wed 28-Nov-18 10:47:33

DH has a Bakers cyst which was a relief as originally it was thought he had a DVT. A scan showed what it is. Don't know why it's appeared but it is on the same leg as he had the knee replaced some years ago. Can be uncomfortable if he walks too much and he says it is easier if he comes down stairs backwards!! He has never had any treatment for it.

overthehill Wed 28-Nov-18 11:08:42

Been reflecting on this since I posted. DH had been having problems with that leg for sometime before we even went on our coach trip.

I'm now thinking he may have had the cyst awhile and the swelling of his leg due to the coach travel may have caused it to burst.

Kim19 Wed 28-Nov-18 11:12:33

Totally agree with the wearing of pressure socks when enforced sitting for lengthy spells is to take place. My first wear on a bus trip was very much 'well I have them, so why not?' Always wear them now and totally unaware of their presence. Certainly no discomfort whatsoever.

janc Wed 28-Nov-18 13:16:11

I had the same experience last year, we done a coach trip to Germany,at the end of it I couldn't walk it was far too painful ( have had DVTS) thought that I had another one.
My bakers cyst apparently had perforated I had a swollen leg etc couldn't weight gain and had to use crutches,then a stick, ended up with physio!
Hope it never returns and would wear socks on any journey or keep moving my feet and legs.

chicken Wed 28-Nov-18 13:59:57

I heard a loud "pop" from the knee region on getting out of bed, followed by searing pain and over the next few days my ankle swelled until it looked like an elephants foot. When I went to see the doctor, she said it had been a Bakers cyst which had ruptured, the cyst having been formed because of my arthritic knee leaking synovial fluid into the membranes around the knee joint, the pain because the fluid is corrosive and the swelling because the fluid drains down the leg until it is gradually absorbed. Since then I've had no further trouble---I never knew it was there beforehand and I have never been athletic or been on long journeys. I think it was just a wear-and-tear thing.

minxie Wed 28-Nov-18 14:20:21

My sister has a bakers cyst. It’s very painful and can take months for it to clear so rest is needed

MysticalUnicorn Wed 28-Nov-18 14:55:34

Beware of misdiagnosis! I actually have a torn meniscus in my knee and over the last year have been diagnosed with Baker's Cyst, Arthritis, and Bursitis, to name but a few! I knew it was a torn meniscus all along but none of the gps would listen to my symptoms, which were classic. I had to insist on an MRI which finally diagnosed what I knew in the first place! Make sure he gets the diagnosis he needs and appropriate treatment.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 28-Nov-18 16:25:47

I suggest your husband checks with his GP whether he or she agrees with the hospital's diagnosis. Better safe than sorry, after all.

I admittedly know nothing of Baker's cyst, but reading this thread it seems it afflicts the very active and athletic types, which I gather your DH is not.

Perhaps a general check -up would be a good idea, legs can swell for numerous reasons.

overthehill Wed 28-Nov-18 18:54:12

DH was given an ultrasound scan as well as an x-ray so we're sure the diagnosis is correct. He's not had a good year and fell off a ladder in the summer and hurt himself quite badly so may have hurt his leg back then.

moggie57 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:02:37

I wear supportive socks every day as im on my feet most days