Gransnet forums

Health

Perforated eardrum

(11 Posts)
kittylester Thu 29-Nov-18 17:00:01

DD1 has been told she has a perforated eardrum and is now deaf in one ear following an infection in the summer. She has been advised that there is nothing to be done unless she swims a lot.

Has anyone any experience of this?

SueDonim Thu 29-Nov-18 17:16:39

At least two of my dc have had perforated eardrums and also my brother, way back in the 60's. All regained their hearing eventually.

kittylester Thu 29-Nov-18 17:30:32

DD had one when she was about 5 - she picked up a pigeon feather and stuck it in her ear to see if it made her look pretty. She's 43 now and been told that the hearing loss is probably permanent and she will need a hearing aid.

Jane10 Thu 29-Nov-18 17:56:02

I've had perforated eardrum over the years (on both sides). There is nothing to be done about it. It heals fine and I'm not deaf. Don't worry about it.

Auntieflo Thu 29-Nov-18 18:07:25

Our DS2 used to get perforated eardrums when quite young. He would come and say, ‘my ear’s gone bang again’, and show me the results on his pillow!
As far as I know his hearing is fine, as he hasn’t mentioned anything. He is now 43.

Liz46 Thu 29-Nov-18 18:10:02

My grandson had an operation to repair his. They took a bit of tissue (collogen?) from behind his ear and used it to repair the hole. He has been fine since it was done.

It was carried out privately as my daughter has insurance through her job.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 29-Nov-18 18:13:05

I had perforated ear drums when I was small and had lots of ear infections. I recovered fine, but recently read about tinnitus and think I may have it as I always have a whistling or a high pitched noise in my head, which I have always assumed to be the norm! Now I wonder if it is tinnitus and caused by those ear infections.

Pittcity Thu 29-Nov-18 18:28:19

DS and I have had perforated eardrums. Hearing is OK. We have been told not to scuba dive because of water pressure but otherwise no effects.

gillybob Thu 29-Nov-18 19:04:13

My DH has a perforated eardrum caused by a botched operation . He does get a lot of ear infections and has had it cauterised a few times which helps but unfortunately never lasts very long . He also has really bad tinnitus but I’m not sure if that’s connected at all ?

Willow500 Thu 29-Nov-18 19:40:53

A friend's son perforated his eardrum with a cotton bud when he was in his 20's -he's 47 now - it healed and he's not deaf so hopefully your daughter's hearing loss won't be permanent.

kittylester Thu 29-Nov-18 21:26:39

DD has been told the hole won't heal now and that her hearing won't improve.

Apparently, in a bid to avoid prescribing antibiotics, her gp suggested inhalations when she first went with earache. Then she had 2 lots which didn't do the trick.