Gransnet forums

Health

Dentist Treatment

(6 Posts)
Caledonai14 Sat 01-Dec-18 18:40:53

After several appointments to get a tooth with a large abcess out, the local hospital told me to get more antibiotics from my own dentist and report back in a week. I didn't get past the dental receptionist who told me "no way". A week later, the hospital spent ages carefully numbing me up then began the extraction, upon which I hit the roof from pain. I got a telling off for not getting the extra antibiotics and when I said the dentist's receptionist said "no" they told me I should have gone to my GP.

You'd have to know my GP (nicknamed Dr Naples - as in "nae pills") to know where that would have got me.

Grammaretto Sat 01-Dec-18 15:04:40

Sending hugs. This is a horror story. You should complain and you should not be suffering so long after an extraction.
A good dentist would have put a dressing on the wound, suggested pain killers and at least given you a prescription for antibiotics.
Can you see a good dentist now?

I have a wobbly old tooth with infection in the gum. I've made an appointment but it's not until January. My NHS dentist seems ok but has no time.

ninathenana Sat 01-Dec-18 14:34:18

No antibiotics needed shock

A friend is having a really bad time caused by an abscess at the moment. Course of antibiotics, extraction, 2nd course, still in pain and now on her 3rd course (different type). She text me this morning saying "she wanted to rip her face off" bit dramatic I know. At least her treatment has been better than yours.
I'd say a complaint is called for. I hope you'll soon be pain free.

maryeliza54 Sat 01-Dec-18 14:27:56

dcs.gdc-uk.org/

Here’s the link

maryeliza54 Sat 01-Dec-18 14:23:43

It says put in a formal complaint to help others

bettyboo22 Sat 01-Dec-18 14:21:07

I went to the Dentist was a private one as it was a Saturday I was in pain and it was X-rayed and she said it's a abscess will have to come out ,
I said what about antibiotics?
Dentist said you don't need them . Anyway she took my tooth out £165 pound it costed
I came out out headed for home the pain started really bad I had to go to bed with a hot water bottle pain killers
Couldn't eat anything drink through a straw
Monday cane I rang her said I need antibiotics they said you always have pain after it will be ok Tuesday I rang they gave me 3 days of antibiotics I was still in pain
A month later I can still feel it I know it's not right as still swollen a bit
I complained said I'd take it further still no apology but they gave me my money back all of it . What does that say to you people of gransnet