Gransnet forums

Health

Post-herpetic neuralgia (after shingles)

(9 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Tue 04-Dec-18 14:11:58

Thanks for all your advice. I think I should re-visit my GP and have my eyes checked.

notanan2 Sun 02-Dec-18 15:07:54

The post viral stage can be the worst.

I heard a good tip from a doctor:
Don't over do it on your good days and push yourself a little on your bad days x

travelsafar Sun 02-Dec-18 14:37:27

I have a dear friend who suffered the same as the OP she had a headache constantly for several weeks, She also had to attend out local eye treatment centre as her eye was affected.Sadly she had developed an ulcer and is now on drops for life according to her. If i were you i would get your eye checked out by optician just in case you need to be referred elsewhere. The headache did eventually subside.

Charleygirl5 Sun 02-Dec-18 14:24:54

I was lucky if that is the word having shingles only on my chest a few years ago with no after effects once it had cleared.

M0nica Sun 02-Dec-18 14:02:00

You can be innoculated against shingles now. I was fortunate to be eligible for it the first year it came out.

Having seen DM and DD, not to mention another friend, with shingles I couldn't get the jab fast enough.

MissAdventure Sun 02-Dec-18 11:15:50

Sometimes anti depressants can be good for nerve pain.

EllanVannin Sun 02-Dec-18 11:09:04

Yes it could be a sinus pain. Horrible. Nasal drops from the GP are worth a try. Albucid was once used, but see what the GP has to say first.
I didn't have chickenpox as a child even though my brother did. Also when my GGC had it I didn't get anything again so I'm a " carrier " as I must have had the germ but showed no symptoms. I hope my chances of having shingles is nil because it's a dreadfully painful virus.

M0nica Sun 02-Dec-18 10:38:31

I felt yu needed an answer. I have not had shingles, but I have been alongside my DM and DD when they had it and DD had it across her face an eyes.

I would speak to your GP about the sinus and headache. It may be that they are a quite separate problem and you need something to clear that.

Could you try using Vick or equivalents at night and when the pain starts to see if that clears the headache?

Grannyjacq1 Sat 01-Dec-18 14:30:09

I had shingles behind my right eye and on the right side of my forehead 2 months ago. Luckily I managed to get anti-viral medication promptly, but I still occasionally get very severe pain which usually starts in the early hours of the morning and keeps me awake. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen don't seem to have much effect on the pain. I was prescribed Co-dydramol, but these made me feel worse. The pain is worse when I am lying down, and usually goes soon after I get up in the morning. I also seem to have a blocked sinus on my right hand side at night. Has anyone experienced anything similar, or can anyone offer any helpful advice?