Gransnet forums

Health

Fluoxetine friends over here please!

(7 Posts)
Ohmother Sun 02-Dec-18 09:19:47

I have just been prescribed the anti- depressant Fluoxetine for menopausal hot flashes. I’m not too sure about taking anti-depressants as they are mind altering drugs aswell. Is anyone else on Fluoxayine for the same reason and if so, how have you found them?

EllanVannin Sun 02-Dec-18 10:05:23

This is the " old " Prozac ( by any other name )
I think that what GP's do is to tie-in menopausal symptoms as being part and parcel for anxiety/depression when this isn't always the case. It's a pity that a lot of GP's haven't studied menopause and its varying symptoms from woman to woman. As afterall both MENopause and MENstruation are part of what a male doctor should be knowledgeable about.

Gonegirl Sun 02-Dec-18 10:14:12

Fluoxetine is fantastic. Totally changed my life. Wish I could have had it years ago. It isn't mind altering at all. You are still you, just minus a lot of the anxiety which in turn enables you to shake off the depression. I had no side effects to speak of when I started it apart from being a little bit more anxious for a couple of weeks whilst they were kicking in. (That is normal and soon wears off) Best wishes.

Gonegirl Sun 02-Dec-18 10:15:43

Yes, it is, of course, Prozac, and one of the oldest Sri's. Which means it has had years to be proved safe.

Gonegirl Sun 02-Dec-18 10:16:51

Sorry ssri' s. Daft iPad missed an s out.

Teetime Sun 02-Dec-18 10:42:47

I had Fluoxetine for 5 years in my 50s- saved me by releasing the overwhelming sense of doom and misery I had every day.

Volvariella Sun 02-Dec-18 16:52:02

Ohmother - as EllanVannin siad. If there is no reason for you not to take HRT, and depending on your age and time since menopause your doc shouldn't be prescribing these pills for menopausal hot flushes. Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole - if you are not suffering from long-standing depression. Please don't fill the prescription and have a think about HRT. Go over to Mumsnet menopause section or Menopause Matters website and forum, or My Menopause Dr to find out information. The go back to your GP fully armed with the right information!