Gransnet forums

Health

Help! Atopic dermatitis

(8 Posts)
giulia Thu 06-Dec-18 14:13:16

Please can anyone offer me a CHEAP way of calming the itch?
Have been suffering from this for several months now, despite professional help from a well-reputed dermatalogical centre.
One problem is that you cannot select the doctor who visits you so one doctor prescribes a treatment (all these creams etc., are quite expensive). Then you go back for a checkup and a different doctor says "Oh, no! You shouldn't use product "X" and they prescribe something else that costs even more. Am getting increasingly confused and downhearted.

In theory, the origin of my skin problem is the Atorvasatin I had taken for over a year. Have been off it for over three months now but various skin problems persist - also embarrassing seborrheic dermatitis.

I would so like to find something to calm the itching: have read about bathing in oats or rice flour.

Does anyone have any useful hints?

PS: I do not live in the UK, so don't mention National Health services.

Lynne59 Thu 06-Dec-18 21:47:15

Have you tried Aveeno? They do a range of products, all perfume-free and made with oatmeal. My adult son has Excema, and he finds the moisturiser very good.

FlexibleFriend Thu 06-Dec-18 21:54:12

I had a hideous rash in the summer that nothing seemed to cure and a friend suggested I use child's farm moisturiser which she used on her baby's eczema and it cleared it up quite rapidly. As it was so cheap I bought the baby wash as well and the two combined were brilliant. It's worth a try at that price.
www.childsfarm.com/collections/full-range/products/childs-farm-moisturiser-unfragranced-250ml

travelsafar Fri 07-Dec-18 08:39:26

I suffer with a form of dermatitis on both hands and was prescribe Aveeno by my GP.
It is amazing stuff and my hands are now beautifully soft and no longer itch.
If it flares up i have a steriod cream which i use for a couple of days then back to just the Aveeno.

harrigran Fri 07-Dec-18 08:46:17

Google MooGoo, I have heard it really works.

Nanabilly Fri 07-Dec-18 10:30:11

My mum used to have dermatitis and one Christmas I bought her a selection of toiletries from the bath and body works shop ..raspberry scented. She used the cream on her dermatitis , mainly elbows and he d's and it went away and never came back.
I would give up on those quacks you have mentioned though , maybe the way they operate is done on purpose so you just spend more with them . Very dirty tricks in my opinion.

giulia Fri 07-Dec-18 14:27:18

Nanabilly: actually, the hospital is free for me because I'm over 65. Maybe, if I went privately (but cannot afford it), I would get better help.

Thank you, everyone who has given me advice. I have just bought a bag of wholegrain oats and intend to soak in an oat bath tonight. Trouble is the water should be fairly cool - not so enticing in Winter!

KatyK Sun 09-Dec-18 13:27:04

I agree re Averno. I had a terrible rash earlier this year. I saw three GPs, had blood tests, they prescribed various lotions and potions. In desperation I asked a pharmacist who said I was being given the wrong thing and to try Aveeno. He said it was made from pure ingredients. It worked for me.