Gransnet forums

Health

ECG

(9 Posts)
dragonfly46 Fri 07-Dec-18 09:06:27

Has anyone ever had a false negative reading of an ECG? I keep getting them and eventually paid for an ultrasound scan to show my heart was healthy. That was two years ago. I am worried it might hold up my cancer treatment.

Karanlouise Fri 07-Dec-18 09:21:07

Morning dragonfly46. Haven't had ECG problems but have had treatment for cancer a few years ago and had a few other health worries during time and was always worried they would delay my treatment. I talked to the Oncology team each time and they always looked for ways to continue with treatment. They might just need to repeat the ultrasound of your heart to have it on their records that your heart is healthy. Thinking about you.

notanan2 Fri 07-Dec-18 09:28:16

An ECG is more likely to MISS problems than show false ones.

Well "miss" isnt the right word exactly, its more that ECGs only give limited information

Luckygirl Fri 07-Dec-18 09:29:43

How do you know that the ECG result is false?

You can have a healthy heart on echocardiogram/ultrasound, but have a problem with the rhythm that shows up on an ECG.

I hope your cancer treatment can go ahead.

Kateykrunch Fri 07-Dec-18 09:30:00

I had a mitral valve prolapse years ago, so had ecg and ultrasound prior to mastectomy which were fully considered by the surgical team prior to my op. I also had a chest infection on the day of the op and thought they may cancel, but they said that my op needed to go ahead and they would deal with any issues as necessary after. I recovered well. The team really do look to get your treatment started. All the best for next week dragonfly x

dragonfly46 Fri 07-Dec-18 09:38:09

I saw a leading professor at the hospital and I have the letter from him assuring me that my heart was healthy and you often get false negatives and false positives on an ECG. Fortunately he works at the same hospital where I am having my treatment. And I have had a CT scan surely that would show any abnormalities.

notanan2 Fri 07-Dec-18 09:41:55

No a CT wouldnt show any rhythm/electrical anomalies. It might show large anatomical/structural issues.

silverlining48 Fri 07-Dec-18 10:50:05

I have recently had similar dragonfly, slow heart rate which has needed investigation prior to an unrelated operation that I need. Have had ecg, 24 hour ecg and echocardiogram and have been passed fit for the other op which annoyingly is now delayed til March.
Hope all goes well.

dragonfly46 Fri 07-Dec-18 12:11:49

I didnt have a ct scan I had a stress echo test which is not offered on the NHS. I was assured by the consultant that it is the best test there is for the heart and there is nothing wrong with mine. He told me there are false positives with ECG and false negatives.