Gransnet forums

Health

waves of nausea

(18 Posts)
Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 11:47:06

I was woken this morning with a feeling of giddiness and nausea, and surge of temperature. It kept recurring every half hour or so , so I went without breakfast.
I looked it up on the internet and they said the most likely cause is pregnancy. shock. I don't think so.
They also say go out and get some fresh air, which I did, and feel better TG.
I think it must have been that meat pie I made yesterday from leftover stew, I've binned the remains.
But I was wondering, is there a 'bug' going round?

Farmor15 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:03:11

Sounds a bit like vomiting bug (norovirus). Doesn’t always cause actual vomiting. Last year we were visiting son and family and children brought bug back from nursery. We all caught it in the end but husband and son had symptoms like you, never actually vomited.
Good news is that recovery is usually 24 -48 hours.
It's less likely to be pie from stew but that’s gone now anyway!

gillybob Tue 11-Dec-18 12:07:08

I was just how you described Fennel couldn’t get out of bed on day 2 . Just dizzy, weak and nauseous . This is week 3 and whilst I’m loads better I still haven’t got my appetite back . I doubt it was the pie to be honest ( I blamed a boiled egg) . I do hope you feel better soon . flowers

Farmor15 Tue 11-Dec-18 12:11:43

gilly I hope it’s day 3 and not week 3 or you’ll send fennel into a depression.?

Nanabilly Tue 11-Dec-18 12:22:21

Gravy and rice are the 2 worse things for carrying bacteria so leftovers of anything containing any of these 2things must be refrigerated asap or used up on the day.
The stew is the culprit I imagine and it seems you may have had a lucky escape with just a bit of nausea.

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 12:52:38

Thanks for the replies. Hope you feel better soon gilly. It's a horrible feeling.
I'm still feeling better but a bit fragile. I think I'll miss out on lunch (fried fish).

harrigran Tue 11-Dec-18 14:03:21

I am prone to bouts of nausea and sickness, I thought it would improve after having some bowel removed but it returns at intervals. I am struggling today with it but have to keep going as we are busy.
Norovirus is a pain because you can not build up an immunity to the bug, it mutates with each attack.

BlueBelle Tue 11-Dec-18 15:36:34

I really don’t buy into stew or rice or else I must have a cast iron stomach as my rice very often stays out and as my kitchen is very cold I don’t always put it in the fridge
Much more likely a floating bug going round
Hope you feel better soon

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 15:51:28

Yes I think it must be a bug, because husband ate the same meat pie, and he seems ok.
Also the high temperature that I had.
You Grans are so sensible smile.

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 15:57:45

ps I've just been reading up about norovirus and evidently there's quite an epidemic at the moment.
Another symptom is pains in shoulders and arms which I had during the night, but thought it was my normal 'aches and pains' of old age.

silverlining48 Tue 11-Dec-18 16:10:14

Or could be labyrinthitis.

merlotgran Tue 11-Dec-18 16:12:12

I've only had norovirus once thank goodness and that's exactly how it started. I got up, needed to iron something before breakfast so hadn't eaten and suddenly felt dizzy. The sickness started about an hour later. I was in bed for two days but recovered really quickly after day three.

Charleygirl5 Tue 11-Dec-18 16:34:42

Fennel I had something similar a few weeks ago but mine lasted for 2 weeks but it was not so horrendous towards the end. I live on my own with my cat and I did have problems coping on my own- especially with the dizziness.

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 19:41:23

Charleygirl if it lasted as long as that, perhaps it was something else?
Hoping you're feeling better now.

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 19:48:50

silverlining
Yes I've heard of that, and looked into it a few years ago when I had something similar.
But this is different.
At that time I had a neighbour, about my age, who had recurrent spells of dizziness and losing balance. She had various tests but they never found the explanation. The dizziness has stopped now, but she's an old lady, like me!

Charleygirl5 Tue 11-Dec-18 21:50:56

Fennel I knew mine was not norovirus. There appeared to be a mini problem going around my area but that did not help me! I hate being incapacitated because a cat cannot understand why you cannot jump when asked.

sodapop Tue 11-Dec-18 22:00:38

Hope you feel a bit better now Fennel, its miserable feeling like that I know.

Fennel Thu 13-Dec-18 19:28:54

Thanks all - today the diarrhoeia has caught up with me.
But stomach and head seem to have settled down TG.
So I think it must have been a virus,