Gransnet forums

Health

Background retinopathy

(12 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Dec-18 08:33:58

Hi everyone. Last year I posted about having a macular hole/ cataract repair on my eye. I had it done last December and it was successful and not as bad as I thought. I have had Diabetes type 2 for 5 years but the registrar said the eye problem was not diabetes related and was just bad luck. The retinopathy check had noticed it last year.

I have just had this years retinopathy test result back and it says I have background retinopathy showing which at this stage will not affect my sight. At my last diabetic bloods check my blood glucose was up one point from 6 to 7 and I am having regular checks with my GP as he increased my oral medication slightly. I have managed my diabetes well and this is the first bit of complication and I'm very scared. I'm terrified of losing my sight in the future and wondered if any other diabetics on her could offer me any advice or reassurance.

Luckygirl Wed 12-Dec-18 09:55:35

I am not diabetic - but just wanted to send you good wishes; and to say that the good ting in all this is that you are being carefully monitored and everything possible is being done. Good luck with all this.

TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Dec-18 10:03:59

Thank you Luckygirl I appreciate your response

TwiceAsNice Wed 12-Dec-18 14:45:51

A little disappointing to have only one response. I would be so appreciative of a few more

Sparklefizz Wed 12-Dec-18 18:46:45

Hi Twice, I can't help with any actual advice but just wonder if you are on Facebook, and if so, if you have looked for a Facebook group for your particular issue?

I have a rare illness and felt very isolated and alone with it, but purely by chance found a FB Group and I have learnt such a lot, plus we all support each other as only we can, because we totally understand.

TwiceAsNice Thu 13-Dec-18 08:11:03

Hi Sparklefizz thanks for your reply. I am not on general Facebook only a small one attached to the housing development I live in to share neighbour type stuff but I will look. Thank you for your suggestion.

loopyloo Thu 13-Dec-18 08:53:49

When you talk about your blood sugar do you mean hbaic? Or fasting blood sugar? Are you on metformin?
Yes I can understand that you are scared. I think the important test to control is Hbaic with gives an idea of blood sugar over the last 4 weeks or so. I have found that controlling my weight is the crucial thing.

loopyloo Thu 13-Dec-18 09:05:15

I have been diagnosed for 2 years and am diet controlled. Or uncontrolled! Now I am 1 stone overweight and am trying to lose it. Now, I weigh myself everyday and try to lose little bits by just eating less but more healthily and this seems to work for me. The other thing is to walk. Aim is an hour a day in bits if needs be.
I can't cope with complicated diets or all the faff of the gym or swimming. Has to be very simple. No temptation food in the house. Black coffee. No cakes or biscuits. Fruit veg nuts etc. Very short sighted and worry about my sight.
You are not alone.

loopyloo Thu 13-Dec-18 09:08:30

Other thing is your blood pressure. How is that?

Anja Thu 13-Dec-18 09:30:50

I haven’t posted because I’m not diabetic. But I have two acquaintances who have suffered from retinopathy. One cut right back on carbs especially sugars, lost weight, and seems to have dodged that bullet. The other tried half heartedly and has lost the sight in her right eye. She’s on track to lose the sight in the other eye but doesn’t seem able to control her eating.

The message seems to be....it’s in your own hands.

Anja Thu 13-Dec-18 09:32:44

PS LL’s post has just reminded me..the friend who lost weight also took up walking.

maryeliza54 Thu 13-Dec-18 09:39:01

Keeping you blood glucose level down is the single most important thing you can do as you know. The HBA1C is the best indicator of this and yours at 7 is OK but it has gone up. My advice would be to regularly check your bg levels yourself before and after meals. Not everyday and every meal but regularly and keep a record. Do you have the equipment already?