Gransnet forums

Health

BVVP

(5 Posts)
jackbo Thu 27-Dec-18 01:06:34

Hello! I am looking for people who have experienced BVVP. I was in a car wreck about 4 weeks ago, I was rear-ended and, at the time, I had no Vertigo symptoms. I did get a bruise on the back of my head and a sharp pain in the left side of my neck. Then, 3 weeks later, I start having severe vertigo and ended up going to the hospital. The PT diagnosed me with BVVP. My question is was the BVVP damage due to the head trauma suffered in the car wreck, but the symptoms could be delayed by as much as 3 weeks? Is that possible? I have no history of Vertigo and it just seems like too much of a coincidence that I would just out of the blue develop those kinds of symptoms. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject that would be helpful? Please share!

Sar53 Thu 27-Dec-18 07:31:38

Jackbo it's actually BPPV not BVVP. I had my first attack about 18 months ago completely out of the blue. I've had it on and off ever since. It's the most horrible of conditions and there are things you can do to lessen the symptoms. Google the Epley manoeuvre it may help.
There are other people on here who suffer, maybe they can help you.

jackbo Thu 27-Dec-18 11:38:25

Sorry folks, I meant BPPV Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

shysal Thu 27-Dec-18 11:51:37

Sorry to hear of your problems. I too suffer from BPPV, not as a result of trauma but from an ear infection 48 years ago when expecting my first child. I spend my life avoiding any actions or movements which may start it off and thankfully haven't had anything more than an occasional spin for a few years. I try not to turn my head rapidly, look up at the sky or tall buildings and never lie completely flat on my back or front. At exercise classes I place a couple of yoga blocks under my head and lower very slowly. Also lie back at my own pace when on the dentist's chair and certainly avoid fairground ridessmile!
I hope that you will also manage to control your symptoms.

B9exchange Fri 28-Dec-18 19:06:19

You need to find a GP who can test you using the Dix Hallpike test, if that causes you spin, then s/he can go on to do the Epley manouvre, moving your head back and then from side to side, waiting each time until the spinning stops. It's not pleasant, but quickly done, and you will start to feel so much better.

BPPV is caused by crystals forming in the semicircular canals, a bang on the head, or putting your head in a funny position can dislodge them, they spin around in the fluid and trigger the very sensitive hairs in the canals, making you feel as though you are moving. Screwing my head upwards and to the side to paint the eaves of the shed was enough to start mine off again! The repositioning Epley manouvre moves them back out of the canals so that they can't make you spin any more.