Gransnet forums

Health

Teeth

(70 Posts)
Nanny123 Fri 28-Dec-18 08:03:20

Help! My front tooth fell out yesterday - it was a crown. I was told a couple of years ago by another dentist that the tooth was on borrowed time and when it finally gave up that it wouldnt be able to be replaced so now I have to decide what course of action to take. I already had a plate so if I decide to go along those lines again it means a whole new plate being made or do I bite the bullet and go for dentures - so what I am asking is what is your opinion of going for dentures?

Happysexagenarian Sun 03-Feb-19 15:49:46

Meg54 Pleased to hear its your treatment is going so well

Meg54 Tue 29-Jan-19 15:40:05

I am as I type sitting in my Malaga apartment (BEDSIT!), having done the first round of treatment to give me a Hollywood smile, (ignoring my sister's observation that a Hollywood smile is not much use with a face like Mother Theresa).
Bill so far, just under £4000.00.
This is for 3 extractions, 5 implants, 5 temporary bridges, and all associated medical supports, apart from 1 weeks supply of antibiotics costing 3.20 Euros. Staff absolutely fantastic.
COST OF FLYING TO Spain £25.00. Cost of apartment 140 Euros, cheaper than travelling to Dundee from home. Weather gorgeous.
Anaesthetic starting to wear off tho, and VERY hungry.
Meg.

EvieQ Tue 29-Jan-19 13:25:00

I was unfortunate to have lost two front teeth, they were very loose and had no roots upon ex ray! My sourrounding teeth were not strong enough for a bridge and I had a small plate fitted with 4 teeth in all, they were very well matched up and look natural,I was upset at loseing my teeth,but now am very pleased with my dentists work and have had no problems whatsoever, so don't be to despondent and good luck .

PamelaJ1 Mon 21-Jan-19 20:07:03

Today I had my new teeth implanted.
The process has been ongoing since October.
I have been wanting to have them for years. I had 4 crowns on my front teeth and you could almost guarantee that one of them would break or fall off 5mins before a holiday or big event!
They have cost me just under £6000, a not inconsiderable sum but, if I live as long as my mother, only £250/year. I did investigate going to Budapest but decided against it in the end.
The dentist has promised me that I will be able to use them to bite my food, as I have avoided using my crowns for years this will take a bit of getting used to. He has given me instructions on how to look after them , this does not include having them unscrewed at all. ( as a previous poster seemed to think was necessary)
I hope that I will be lucky and avoid all the terrifying problems that some of you seem to have encountered.
They look FABULOUS , not white & bright- just normal and I’m so happy and will start to smile when I have my photo taken.

Grammaretto Mon 07-Jan-19 11:57:45

That is very interesting Meg54. Please let us know how it goes.

Meg54 Mon 07-Jan-19 10:46:39

Most european dentist I have researched have 'partner' clinics int he UK. I met the consultant in Dundee (he also does a monthly clinic in Edinburgh), so the initial consultation was carried out there, along with th x rays, bone density scans etc.
If I go ahead, the basic work (extractions, moulds, temporary dentures etc.) will be carried out in the UK, and the restorative cosmetic part will be carried out abroad. I am hoping to finalise details this week........

clementine Sun 06-Jan-19 19:41:18

Another who has a plate with three top teeth attached. have had it over 40 years, ( not same one but same idea if you know what I mean) and have no problem with it. I do admit sometimes I get fed up taking it out each night , be lovely to get up in the morning and just clean my teeth like normal people but it's lasted me well, with minimum bother. My dentist has suggested a bridge but sometimes I think of my late mother and her " if it ain't broke don't fix it" so will probably just leave things as they are. Good luck in whatever decision you make .

ditzyme Sun 06-Jan-19 09:35:57

I had a single tooth on a plate/bridge thing. Not worth having them all out unless absolutely necessary.

Helennonotion Sat 05-Jan-19 23:04:39

I have a bridge on an eye tooth at the top. I had a massive abscess when I was 21 which meant I had to have it drilled away and drained, then a crown on a post, which lasted until I was about 55. (not the same one! It was replaced from time to time) However the root eventually cracked and a new crown wasn't viable. My bridge is literally a tooth with tiny metal 'arms' on either side that are cemented to the backs of the adjacent teeth. The only work that had to be done on the healthy teeth was a little roughing up to aid adhesion. 4 years later its still solid and has caused me no problems at all. I dont remember it being very expensive either. I'm sure it was done on the NHS at the same cost as a crown. I have been told my bone density is very low which wouldnt be good for implants. Just as well as I dont have thousands of pounds of disposable income!

Megs36 Sat 05-Jan-19 10:42:24

Sympathy to all those with dental problems but I can't help thinking there are many well off GNs, A FEW THOUSAND mentioned often, those of us who live in the real world have trouble finding a couple of hundred for essential work, as I mentioned earlier a bridge doesn't have to damage existing teeth, I have had a two teeth bridge.since 1980ish. Also dentures need not be unpleasant, again choose your dentist . get recommendations.

Shizam Fri 04-Jan-19 21:48:03

I could write a book about teeth! Both mine and son’s who got his front ones knocked out in accident. My dentist has done an amazing job on both. No false teeth!
Most important thing is a really good dentist, who is up on latest techniques. Ask around, neighbours, Facebook, etc. Or ask for dms on here for recommendations.
Then accept you’re going to pay. A good implant by a knowledgeable dentist will be fitted quickly and with no pain. They can add to bone in all sorts of ways these days. Again, if they know what they’re doing.
Dentures are not nice. I had one temporarily, hated it.
Implants are expensive, but much better than a bridge, also expensive, and comprises neighbouring teeth.
Good luck. I know how tricky teeth can be.

Coolgran65 Fri 04-Jan-19 19:05:05

After being on a high dose of steroids for a couple of years my teeth started to be troublesome, breaking, the roots fracturing and thus losing existing crowns. I initially had to get a plate/denture with one tooth, then another added, and another. I now have an almost full top denture, one tooth and two crowns remaining of my own.
Because so many teeth had been added at different times to my original denture the time came, last September, when a new denture was called for.
It was made via my NHS dentist and cost around £350. It is perfect, looks very good and beautifully natural.
Very comfortable.

Also I have my previous denture as a temporary back up if this one ever met with an accident.

Lancslass1 Fri 04-Jan-19 18:56:46

Nannie123 the answer is "no" if you can afford it.
The same thing happened to me and I was persuaded to have a false tooth by my NHS dentist.
I hated it.
He said I could have implants but may need more than one which would cost a few thousand pounds.
I then decided to go to a a Private Dentist for a second opinion.
He said he could make a bridge for me wth a false tooth attached to the bridge.
I am really pleased with what he did.
Before you decide,please get a second opinion.

Marieeliz Fri 04-Jan-19 18:51:08

I have some implants, done years ago, now need to replace some teeth but have been told cannot have implants or dentures on implants because of my age 70's and loss of bone. So I am hanging on to temporary bridge been temporary since 2006!!!

If anyone knows of a dentist who will do a denture on implants to a 70 year old with bone loss let me know?

icanhandthemback Fri 04-Jan-19 17:38:07

If you are anywhere near Hove, I can highly recommend The Brighton Implant Centre for your implants. My crown fell out and couldn't be repaired. It cost me £3000 but it was worth every penny.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 04-Jan-19 17:18:36

I have a few chronic medical conditions but my dental surgeon took a great deal of time before implanting, around 4 hours and under sedation. I started antibiotics before the operation, I was already on steroids and had to use an antibiotic mouthwash afterwards for many weeks. I also the bone density built up to take the implant. The top ones have been in now over three years with no problem and the bottom ones so far, touch wood, have not been aj problem despite 30 odd stitches. I would say choose your dentist carefully for the implants.

Dogsjj Fri 04-Jan-19 15:23:09

I paid a fortune for four implants at the front,bottom jaw. Now they have to be taken out due to bone loss. Apparently I am genetically unsuitable. Really fed up.

Megs36 Fri 04-Jan-19 15:22:49

Lost a front tooth and had a 1 tooth platewhen I was 16. As the years and teeth went by I had others added until I was about 45 when a new young dentist suggested a crown supported bridge, still there although getting a bit dodgy, I'm now 82. Unfortunately over the years your natural teeth tend to grow a bit discoloured but the bridge doesn't.... I couldn't really afford the vanity of a complete change so maybe the original plate all those years ago plus additions would have been better???

Happysexagenarian Fri 04-Jan-19 14:13:59

A friend of mine had six implants fitted (2 top, 4 bottom) nearly five years ago. But since then her lower jaw bone has broken twice where the implants are. Her dentist (not the one that did the work) says her bone density is diminishing and her jaw is like a swiss cheese!! He recommends she has all the implants removed (they fill the spaces) and a denture fitted. She took out a loan for the implants which she is still repaying and now the remedial work and denture will be very expensive too.

Last year I had an upper denture fitted which replaces all but four of my teeth. Small metal clips wrap invisibly around two of my remaining teeth and hold it very very snugly, no rocking or wobbling. Yes it felt strange at first but I can eat and speak normally and it looks totally natural. It cost me £800 because I chose to have some sedated treatment, but the best money I ever spent. Implants were not an option for me and I would never have wanted them after my friends experience.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Grammaretto Fri 04-Jan-19 14:09:20

I've just about finished paying off DD's wedding so maybe another loan? Not very glamourous but practical.smile

Nanna58 Fri 04-Jan-19 14:04:44

In the throes of an implant, very happy so far , not painful procedure at all. What I would say is shop around, all the places I checked were reputable, but still the prices varied by as much as 2grand! Good luck! ?

patchworksue Fri 04-Jan-19 13:48:25

Implants! If you can afford . I had 2 done 5years ago and got rid of the dentures I hated!

Hm999 Fri 04-Jan-19 13:24:15

When 40yo son was 2, he accidentally headbutted my front tooth and broke it. The crown lasted about 15yrs, so then I had a bridge, which still seems fine. The adjacent tooth, further from the front was (unnecessarily) crowned, and the bridge is only attached on one side.

grannydubh Fri 04-Jan-19 12:54:24

I was quoted between 2 and 3 thousand for an implant. Way out of my pocket. I have a partial denture and it's O.K.

Grammaretto Fri 04-Jan-19 12:48:18

I could shop around though probably here in Scotland, all the dentists will be similar prices. It's not something my NHS dentist will do.
He quoted £3000 each.