Gransnet forums

Health

Fra ctured wrist

(55 Posts)
Rowantree Sat 05-Jan-19 09:37:52

i did this spectactularly on Christmas Eve and was in A&E till midnight having it wrenched back into place. Broke in two places. pain awful and still have backslab till the 8th. its my dominant hand too. Really fed up as i need excercise, had plans to de clutter and re start my creative textile work. now im limited in what i can wear and do and personal care is difficult too. Any tips >>? worried it might set badly. painkillers still needed. such a stupid thing to do! tripped over hall rug getting small grandsons slippers...!

seacliff Sun 06-Jan-19 13:14:10

Me too - operation needed to wire it all together, and couldn't drive for some about 6 weeks, as they said I couldn't do an emergency stop. Very painful at night, I did take pain killers but the co-codamol upset my stomach.

My fingers were so swollen for weeks, I could not touch my thumb to my first finger. I got some squeezable balls to strengthen my muscles and grip. I was trying to write with left hand, not easy. I didn't have a smart phone/tablet then.

When eventually the plaster was eventually removed I felt so exposed and vulnerable, I had an elastic bandage on, and had a sling when I went out, as I was worried others would knock it.

Do exercises they recommend as much as possible, but not over doing it. It feels a bit painful at first, you do need to push yourself a bit. After the scar had healed I used bio oil to keep it supple.

Ever since, I have lost my confidence a bit and don't walk alone in remote places any more, and I am scared to falling again. Horrible for you flowers

Caro57 Sun 06-Jan-19 13:17:18

As and when do try do get physio on the NHS, it would benefit them and you. Whether or not you manage to be very diligent with the exercises you are given. It could take a good year to fully return to fitness but will gradually improve and is well worth persevering- good luck

Teddy123 Sun 06-Jan-19 13:35:01

I broke my wrist (and a rib) about 8 weeks ago. Fell over an enormous planter in the twilight!

Cast removed couple of weeks ago. But as physio told me, could be many months till I regain original strength. Still taking pain killers. On the plus side I can shower! You have my sympathy!

Teddy123 Sun 06-Jan-19 13:41:34

Ps I checked out the internet for exercises to do whilst it was in the cast and did them religiously. Occasionally use a splint now if it's aching or swollen just for support. I thought it would be good as new when the cast was removed ...... Silly me!
Found I could sleep better if sort if sitting up with cast arm supported on a couple of cushions. Patience us a virtue .... I was wishing the days away!

Teddy123 Sun 06-Jan-19 13:44:16

Oops pps
But the most annoying part was no driving! I ignored this by day 5 ..... Despite not being able to find reverse. Very naughty of me but I was going stir crazy!!!

trisher Sun 06-Jan-19 14:44:58

Broke my right wrist a few years ago. You've probably been told not to wriggle fingers because you have a temporary plaster and there is a danger if the plaster is too loose (as it can be because the swelling goes down) that the bones will shift. You will adapt but it's harder as you get older. One of the nurses said to me when I did mine that children can manage one handed so much better. Lots of good advice about clothing here.
I would say practice doing things as you're sitting down, left handed drawing, writing etc. Anything to help your coordination. You will get better and if you want a positive it is supposed to be very good for your brain to use your non-dominant hand more. (Realise I've used left and right and you may be left handed-if so apologies) Good luck!

Izabella Sun 06-Jan-19 14:56:24

Just as an afterthought, my wrist now hates the cold and when I am on my bike I now have to where a glove whatever the weather.

Izabella Sun 06-Jan-19 14:56:40

wear!!!

Sheilasue Sun 06-Jan-19 16:17:41

Aw that’s awful Rowantree, so annoying when you ant to get on a do things, frustrating isn’t it. I am clumsy, 3 years ago fell over in local shopping centre broke my hip. In hospital for 7 days.
Week before Christmas 2018 went to get on bus didn’t get my foot up on the bus properly and tripped luckily forward onto bus felt so silly packed bus.
Then Saturday morning got out of bed went to the loo tripped on mat and bashed my arm on edge of sink, huge big bruise and lump. I am thinking of staying in bed permanently ?

Izabella Sun 06-Jan-19 17:17:18

Oh dear. Another gran with mats. At least you didnt break anything Sheilasue

haddersmum Sun 06-Jan-19 17:58:42

Fell over on Friday taking GD ice skating. Must learn to act my age. Have two suspected wrist fractures and am in splints but hoping they will turn out to be sprains. Can type with one finger. DH cooking and cleaning. Would be a nightmare on my own. Hope all sufferers recover well.

Nanny41 Sun 06-Jan-19 20:29:42

I hope you get better soon, but remove ALL mats and any other obsticles first, then get the waterproof cover for your arm, as others have suggested.You seem to be doing well typing, and we are all pleased to hear from you, keep up the good work, and let us know how you get on.
Have a hairdo at the hairdressers, that will make you feel so much better.
Good Luck.

kwest Sun 06-Jan-19 22:07:36

Some years ago I broke my right arm in two places and had to have my shattered elbow re-built.
The most important things responsible for me keeping my sanity were a fold down seat in the shower and buying front fastening bras so that I did not need anyone to help me with truly personal tasks.

luluaugust Sun 06-Jan-19 22:16:51

So sorry rowantree you have my sympathy. I broke my wrist years ago but just a few years ago I fell and smashed my shoulder, big op, pins etc and now arthritis has set in I will need a replacement eventually. When I broke my wrist I found I was able to shower by putting a large plastic bag over my lower arm (very elegant!) and forget a bra for the time being. Please ask for a DEXA scan to check out for Osteoporosis, everyone knows we should be offered this as a wrist fracture is often the first sign.

Rowantree Sun 06-Jan-19 22:51:16

More lovely replies, excellent ideas and advice and wince inducing shares of fellow accident prone gransnetters! I have a limbo cover do showering is easier now and have bought baggy briefs instead of wearing my former shapewear. I don't have any skirts but i do have loose tunics with useful pockets in and acwarm poncho I can wear outside.im going to treat myself to a haircut this week and try to focus on reading and planning ahead.thsnks for advice about physio and excercise too. Will get a squeeze ball if hosp says I can do that. Till then I have to keep it as still as possible. Not easy!

Rowantree Sun 06-Jan-19 23:05:22

And yes, I'll be asking for a referral for a bone density scan.

paddyann Mon 07-Jan-19 01:02:28

Broke mine in 2 places a few years ago,I'll second the front fastening bra and add an electric can opener as a great help along with a hot water dispenser that was filled up for me before my OH left the house.Mine didn't heal properly and I have limited use of my thumb meaning I cant do the intricate cake icing I used to do .I still make cakes ..even wedding cales but they are much simpler now .Good luck with yours and try to stay calmthe frustration at not being able to do all you used to is the worst thing about it.

Rowantree Wed 16-Jan-19 10:53:31

hi again grans. sorry i cant type properly on this computer one handed. i had an op on saturday to put in a titanium plate. my wrist had actually fractured in three places. it went well but i reacted badly to the anaesthetic and had to stay overnight. Since then the pain got loads worse but improving now. i have to keep my hand elevated to prevent swelling. i feel knocked for six, low, exhausted, no energy, trarful, self pitying and bloody useless. no idea when fracture clinic appointment will be to replace cast for something more comfortable. i feel i should be coping better than this. how do i regain my energy? i have to be in a cast for several weeks so cant garden which i love, or knit,or stitch. many people have worse things happen to them so i guess ill have to get a grip (haha) and get on with it. Should i be really feeling this tired and weak 4 days post op?

trisher Wed 16-Jan-19 11:01:41

Yes yes yes! You will take time to get over this. You have had two major traumas in a short time. 3 fractures in your wrist! And a titanium plate fitted. Rest, eat well and excersise gently. The weather isn't too bad so you could do some gentle walking. We don't mind your typing, just keep in touch. And don't beat yourself up. Sending flowers and [cake]

trisher Wed 16-Jan-19 11:02:25

Sugar! that should be cupcake

humptydumpty Wed 16-Jan-19 12:06:56

Rowantree so sorry to hear your news. Broke my own wrist (distal radius + bone displacement) on Dec 23, getting cast off on Jan 31, dexa scan on Feb 9. Have a couple of times inadvertently turned the wrist - incredibly painful! - but mostly it's the sheer relentlessness of having to cope using 1 (wrong!) hand. Am at work f/t but coming in at my own speed as getting dressed and out is a huge ask!

As other posters have said, be kind to yourself and get plenty of good food and rest. Don't feel guilty about indulging in some box set bingeing! but do whatever exercises have been recommended now and later.

Rowantree Wed 16-Jan-19 14:00:14

thank you both! im having a dexa scan too. because i had an op on the 11th my cast wont now be off for ages but at least ill get a more comfortable one in 28th at the fracture clinic. cant imagine having to work full time with this! TV it will have to be as i cant even focus enough to read much.thanks both for the encouraging words!

NanaandGrampy Wed 16-Jan-19 14:09:15

Sorry to hear things got worse Rowantree.

How about some audio books - you can get them from the library to avoiding purchasing ? And what about a jigsaw- should be possible with your left hand.

Jackson ( he of the fractured wrist- aged 7) says it does get better and the bonuses include less showers ( always good in a small boys books) , daddy lets him ‘go commando’ indoors to aid bathroom visits and no one asks you to do chores ???

Hope it improves now you’ve had the op!

Bathsheba Wed 16-Jan-19 14:30:42

I've only just come to this thread. So sorry to read your news Rowantree, what rotten luck. And I really sympathise with you re not being able to knit or sew - I would find that so very hard too. Wouldn't miss the gardening though wink
I hope the time goes quickly for you but I suspect it'll feel as if it's dragging, while you're unable to do the things you so want to.
Still, try to find the things to be grateful for - you don't have to go to work, you've got a wonderful OH who's no doubt running around after you as well as taking you out for walks (sorry, didn't mean it to sound as if you're his pet dog gringrin). And I imagine you can still enjoy a glass of wine and some cupcake!!
I do hope it will start to improve now you've had it all pinned and plated. Sending you flowers and wishes for a speedy return to full health.
(PS: Have you joined the '50 books a year (or fewer)' thread? Maybe now's the time if not wink)

Jalima1108 Wed 16-Jan-19 14:40:37

Yes, I think you may be feeling tired because it takes a while to get over an anaesthetic.
Your body is telling you that rest is what you need.
Well done, you are typing very well one-handed!
I hope you'll be able to concentrate on reading again soon (that could be a temporary after-effect of the anaesthetic too.
Here's to an excellent recovery Rowantree
flowers