Gransnet forums

Health

Heart surgery

(10 Posts)
Thorntrees Sun 03-Feb-19 16:57:18

Our daughter had open heart surgery over 40 years ago when she was 4 years old and we went through all the trauma that only parents can when handing over their precious child to the surgical team. I can only say that the child has no such worries , while we stressed,she wanted to know when she could join the painting class that was going on in the day room! There has been so much progress in children’s heart surgery in the years since we were involved, try not to worry, he will be well taken care of and being so young will not remember the experience. Our daughter says all she recalls is the ice cream she got as she came round from the anaesthetic. Hope your grandson goes on to enjoy a healthy future.

Elrel Sun 03-Feb-19 14:52:51

Luba - Thinking of your grandson and his family.?

Luba Thu 31-Jan-19 22:03:23

Thank you so much for all your wonderful message of support much love ?

Luckygirl Thu 31-Jan-19 10:33:25

Hope it all goes well - they are very resilient at that age. But you, as those who love him, will of course worry flowers

Grannybags Thu 31-Jan-19 10:27:53

I don't have experience with children Luba but my husband had open heart surgery 7 years ago. They had him out of intensive care and walking the corridors within a few days. He has been fine since.

It's a very stressful time for you and your family but I'm sure a four year old will be up and running around again in no time!

Sending you best wishes flowers

Day6 Thu 31-Jan-19 10:19:22

No experience or knowledge Luba but how worrying for you all. I DO know that heart surgery is incredible these days and fixing hearts is something those skilled and clever surgeons do all the time. I hope all goes well. Do keep us posted. flowers

MawBroon Thu 31-Jan-19 10:14:15

Sending warmest wishes at such a worrying time flowers

tanith Thu 31-Jan-19 10:02:13

I don’t have any experience just wanted to send good wishes I hope it all goes well flowers

shysal Thu 31-Jan-19 10:01:25

Sorry, no experience of this but hope all goes well for him. flowers

Luba Thu 31-Jan-19 09:58:25

Hi everyone. My 4 year old grandson is due to have open heart surgery as he has a cleft in his mitral valve. Does anyone have any experience of this please and thank you