Gransnet forums

Health

Breast screening

(59 Posts)
Lisagran Fri 01-Feb-19 16:49:06

I had a routine letter and information leaflet today inviting me for a breast screening. Up to now (I am 70) I have always attended these screenings, but today I have been wondering whether to go or not. I gather out of 100 women screened, 4 women need more tests and then 1 woman is diagnosed with cancer. The leaflet says Breast screening could mean that I am diagnosed and treated for a cancer that would never have become life-threatening
I realise it’s an individual choice; I’m just pondering

BlueSky Thu 21-Mar-19 18:01:48

Great news Lisagran hopefully it will encourage other older women not to fear the routine mammograms.

PamelaJ1 Thu 21-Mar-19 16:34:36

Excellent news. I understand how relieved you feel now that it’s over. I was when it happened to me.

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Mar-19 15:59:46

So pleased for you Lisa I wouldn't wish my journey on anybody!

Lisagran Thu 21-Mar-19 15:53:33

Just got back from hosp appt - all well! Phew!! Had two further mammograms and a scan, then seen by the doc who said there was an “area of concern”, but that it hadn’t altered since last mammogram 3 years ago, so no further action. The doc said it was odd it hadn’t been followed up after the last mammogram - but I’m not dwelling on that! Thank you all on here for your support and good wishes to anyone undergoing tests or treatment. The staff at the Breast Clinic were outstanding.

Lisagran Wed 20-Mar-19 17:12:57

Goodness, Dragonfly - you’ve had quite a journey. Good it was discovered eventually. Best wishes x

dragonfly46 Wed 20-Mar-19 16:09:49

Mine is not in the breast but in the fold underneath. The GP initially told me it was nothing but sent me for a scan and nothing was seen. The next year I had a mammogram which was clear. I went back to the GP as it changed over time and grew slightly. She thought it was a skin problem and sent me to the dermatologist who sent me to the breast clinic. When I had a biopsy it was diagnosed as breast cancer. I am now taking tablets to shrink it as it is difficult to take out as it is in the skin and I will have a mastectomy in the summer.

Lisagran Wed 20-Mar-19 15:59:01

Yes I’m glad I went PamelaJ1

PamelaJ1 Wed 20-Mar-19 15:20:18

So are you glad you went?
Hope all is well tomorrow.?
I went yesterday and will have one more when I’m 69 but I got the impression that I’d be very welcome to keep on going.

Lisagran Wed 20-Mar-19 15:06:06

I did choose to go for the mammogram, humptydumpty and now (tomorrow) I have been invited to go (and will go) for further tests, as I had a recall letter.

humptydumpty Wed 20-Mar-19 14:58:14

Unless you have specific worries re. mammography, I can't understand why you would choose not to go for screening.

It's your right at all stages to decide if you want to have the recommended treatment, they can't force treatment on you, surely better to decide after the mammogram, with the possibility that your life might have been saved if a tumour is found?

Lisagran Wed 20-Mar-19 14:48:41

You were lucky it was found, dragonfly46. How was it discovered? Are you having treatment? X

dragonfly46 Wed 20-Mar-19 14:33:03

My breast cancer did not show up on mammogram or ultrasound. I was lucky as it is visible but not discovered for 4 years.

silverlining48 Wed 20-Mar-19 14:24:55

Good luck tomorrow Lisa. It needn’t be anything serious sometimes just an unclear picture though you say you have further tests so if that is the case hope all goes well.

Lisagran Wed 20-Mar-19 13:39:02

Well I went for the mammogram a couple of weeks ago - and had the dreaded recall letter last Wednesday. I have to go to a hospital in the next town tomorrow for further tests. I don’t know how I’ve got through this past week (especially as there have been problems with an adult child and a grandchild worrying me too). Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Elegran Sun 17-Feb-19 08:32:56

But they are cysts, not cancer. Because one lump is not dangerous, you can't assume that all are. A friend had some painful treatment for cysts, so when they appeared in the other breast she didn't report them. Those were eventually found to be cancerous, which had spread to many places, and she died aged 37.

nannyof4 Sat 16-Feb-19 22:29:07

I have cysts in my left breast never had any treatment on them.

BlueSky Tue 05-Feb-19 09:42:56

My next one is due next year when I will be 71 so I guess I will still be called for the last one but I plan to request them after that, especially as my mother sadly died of brest cancer. But back then they didn't have screening so I will definitely take advantage of this facility.

annep1 Sun 03-Feb-19 17:25:50

MaryEliza thanks for the info.

annep1 Sun 03-Feb-19 17:23:04

Goodness Jane43. Reinforces the need to keep going..

Jane43 Sun 03-Feb-19 12:14:35

Grammaretto in our area the policy has been to have one mammogram after the age of 70 then you will cease to be called but you can request one. In my case I had one at 68 but was not called for the final one at 71 and because I took my eye off the ball I didn’t chase it up. Then I read in the paper that there had been an oversight and many of us hadn’t been called for our final one. I had a letter asking me to apply for my final screening and I had it last August just. before my 75th birthday. For the first time ever I had a recall and the small tumour was identified. I hadn’t had a mammogram since I was 68 so nearly 7 years had passed since the previous one. Thankfully the tumour was very small and I am grateful for the treatment I have had. I will continue to have yearly mammograms for the next five years and am on oestrogen blocking medication.

maryeliza54 Sun 03-Feb-19 09:28:25

annepl if you request screening after the age limit, it will still be free

sukie Sun 03-Feb-19 00:45:14

I must echo Jane43 as my tumour was also deep, not palpable and only found with imaging.

janeainsworth Sun 03-Feb-19 00:30:41

caledonail4 I agree, it is about being able to make an informed choice.
Health advice and policy are based on the best available evidence at the time.
If new evidence becomes available, what was appropriate advice 20 years ago may not be useful or appropriate now, and the current NHS advice leaflet reflects this.

Grammaretto Sat 02-Feb-19 22:58:37

I was screened yesterday and like you was rather surprised to be called as I thought by 70 I would be considered too old. However the previous time I was recalled for a biopsy for a small growth which was not malignant.
When my Mil was 70 she found a lump herself and asked to be screened. Hers was cancer. After surgery and radiotherapy she made a wonderful recovery and is in her 90s now and visiting her latest GGC right now!!

Harris27 Sat 02-Feb-19 19:36:55

Good advice Dorramarr well said.