Gransnet forums

Health

Low red cell count

(6 Posts)
Marieeliz Fri 01-Feb-19 17:01:58

Hate going to GP when I went last week she said she wanted blood tests. Had them done Monday. Call at 7pm last night to say she needed them repeated urgently, I might have to be admitted, I had a terrible night.

Been back this am and had them done again. At 3.30pm had a phone call saying red blood count was low 80 instead of 100 and something and she wanted to see me on Monday at 2.30pm so much for the admission bit.

I feel perfectly well, except for only half a thyroid have no problems except that and diverticulitis. Does anyone know what is likely to happen re this. I walk not breathless as I say feel fine. Just worried as not used to visiting GP often.

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Feb-19 17:16:53

You have become anaemic for some reason. Could you be losing blood in any way eg into your motions or urine? Are you eating a healthy diet containing foods rich in iron? Try and eat plenty of green veg and some red meat. You will probably need some further tests to check why it is happening. Try not to worry.

EllanVannin Fri 01-Feb-19 19:41:29

Was it a routine blood test or was there a reason for going to see the GP in the first place ?

stella1949 Fri 01-Feb-19 22:23:50

You've become anaemic - your red blood cel'ls normal range is from 115 to 140 so you're down low. Doctor may think you are bleeding internally so that would explain the hospital admission. You may need a blood transfusion to bring the levels back into the normal range. You're in good hands - take care.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 23:20:34

It's recorded differently here but 80 would be 8 which is low. Iron tablets should right that fairly rapidly but they will need to find the underlying cause of it.

Perhaps, if you have diverticulitis, you are not absorbing iron and vitamins from your food. This can happen if you are coeliac too, so it might be wise to ask for a blood test to see if you are.

It should be 11.5 - 14 (in your country 115 to 140) for a woman.

Marieeliz Sat 02-Feb-19 10:24:58

Thanks everyone, I am not a red meat eater. I went originally for gas in my lower intestine, was given Maberverine tablets, which has sorted out the problem. I will see what she says on Monday at 2.30pm