Gransnet forums

Health

Exercise over 70

(83 Posts)
Doodle Sat 02-Feb-19 14:12:06

DH and I walk a lot but do little other exercise. I have poor joints. Both of us have asthma and little stamina for energetic exercise. I just wondered what others do to keep fit and if you have any suggestions for us couch potatoes.

craftyone Fri 08-Mar-19 20:22:12

I want to find a pilates class, loved it in the past and I have a super rebounder, packed right now because of imminent house move. I hated swimming, too flipping wet

craftyone Fri 08-Mar-19 20:18:44

cycling for me to include a few gentle hills, enough for me to get slightly puffed and to perspire. That plus working on the allotment, good for the muscles. Tai chi if I could find a good group

jura2 Fri 08-Mar-19 12:25:10

my advice is simple, swimming, swimming, swimming - and walking - and if you can Gi-gung or Tai-chi.

margaretrodriguez Thu 07-Mar-19 11:41:24

Walking or light jogging is what I would recommend. As these exercise are incredibly beneficial for your health and helps you to keep fit. Also, recently, I read in a magazine that by walking for 30 minutes daily can increase your lifespan by an average of 6 years.

Jane10 Sun 24-Feb-19 09:12:52

Reported

gunsway Sun 24-Feb-19 09:09:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jaye53 Mon 18-Feb-19 13:01:48

My council runs ARMCHAIR exercise for over 70s

BlueSky Sun 17-Feb-19 20:34:27

I am a great believer in walking, just the right amount every day, at a pace that suits you, I believe that's all an older person needs to do to keep fit. Anything more strenuous is likely to do more harm than good. If you really want a change than perhaps swimming provided you enjoy it.

jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 21:30:03

Anyone with health issues should take good advice before starting exercising.
Your Asthma could be an problem with certain classes and exercise routines.
It's not always about age when exercising, I am 74 years old and like you have health issues.
I stay within recommended restraints as advised by my consultant.
Yes it is good to keep fit but do take advise before doing anything or you could be doing more harm than good.
Best of luck.

naheed Sat 16-Feb-19 20:50:13

I tried a few yoga teachers over the years before I found the right teacher and class for myself. My teacher is qualified to teach and cater for various pains and aches. She always asks us how we've been since our last lesson and if we've experienced any problems since then that she should know. She's a member of British Wheel of Yoga. They have members all over the country and all you need to do to find one is to visit the following site and type in your post code. Then the details of the nearest ones to you appear. Here's the link if you're interested Doodle:-

www.bwy.org.uk/

naheed Sat 16-Feb-19 20:06:52

One more thing:- I've been doing yoga regularly for the past 3 years and have benefitted from it enormously. When I first started I used the youtube yoga and hurt myself. I found it best to learn each movement properly in the class before trying it at home.

naheed Sat 16-Feb-19 19:50:51

Dear Doodle, I went on the NHS site and found the following:-

www.asthma.org.uk/advice/living-with-asthma/exercise-and-activities/

It seems quite a comprehensive article and towards the end I found the following which I found interesting:-

''Exercise-induced asthma is a specific type of asthma that’s triggered just by exercise.

If you find that exercise often triggers your asthma it could be a sign that your asthma isn't as well-controlled as it could be. See your GP or asthma nurse so you can update your written asthma action plan together, check your inhaler technique and review your asthma medicines. A regular asthma review can make a real difference to how well you manage your asthma triggers.

But if you find that exercise is your only trigger then it could mean that you have exercise-induced asthma.

Your GP or asthma nurse can help you work out whether or not you’ve got exercise-induced asthma. If you do it doesn’t mean you can’t exercise at all, but you’ll need extra help to manage asthma symptoms when you do exercise and advice on the right types of exercise/activity for you. Your GP might suggest you take your reliever inhaler before you exercise''.

All the best

bikergran Sat 16-Feb-19 19:38:36

Love those BIKES smile

jenkins Sat 16-Feb-19 19:04:45

Found a booklet in my local Library ,'walking for Health'
this is Bristol ..start out with a leisurely hour walk but when there are upward of ten having a chat and enjoying local history it flies by..coffee after more chat ..chance to progress to 4mile walks ,different venues .Meeting folk ..sometimes good to get out and about..no cost and quite social...make of it what you will..to your budget..ie coffee after
I have put on a lot of weight..I love swimming and dancing
need to get back in the pool and dancing..Everyone inspiring, lovely messages..food for thought..or just do it!

deaneke Sat 16-Feb-19 05:11:01

Crafty at, how do you go about checking on yoga teachers experience. I have been to a few but they no their stuff but somehow not for older bodies and just say see how your body feels! By that time I've injured my self and since a hiatus hernia find it very uncomfortable but miss it...and the joints do too!

4allweknow Fri 15-Feb-19 22:17:27

Yoga can be as difficult or easy as you want. Keeps you flexible and relaxed. Pilates can be more intense but is great for stretching. I feel about a foot taller when finished a 45 min session. As to joint damage I have a friend who regularly goes for 8 -10 mile walks (rambler). Next day she is in agony and complains incessantly about pain in her back and leg. Will she admit walking so much over so many years could be causing a problem - no, it's all down to doing some knitting now and again. I have given up listening. To much, to severe will cause problems. Look at Andy Murray.

Gonegirl Fri 15-Feb-19 20:49:00

Yes. I should take the coats off my exercise bike.

EllenT Fri 15-Feb-19 20:12:02

An exercise bike at home works well for me. I’m 65 and have already had the same hip replaced twice, so keen to keep the relevant muscles in good shape.

Yogagran70 Fri 15-Feb-19 19:35:35

If you are not able to stand on the trampoline, You can just sit on the mini trampoline and just bounce, it still is a form of exercise if you are not able to do too much, just build it up

bml Fri 15-Feb-19 19:21:29

I am 71 and I have been doing yoga about 5 times a week for the last 7 years, I have just bought a mini trampoline and been using that for the last month, it is brilliant, The benifets of bouncing are great, just look on utube for videos, all levels can use it

pce612 Fri 15-Feb-19 19:12:22

If you have a hydrotherapy pool near you, see if they do exercise classes.... the water will be warm and will support your body - better on the joints. We are lucky enough to have one, you can book an appointment with a physio, who will recommend suitable exercises.
If there isn't one that you can book, your GP may be able to refer you to the HP at your local hospital if it will help keep you mobile. Or your local swimming pool may have days that they up the water temperature for baby sessions.

Charleygirl5 Fri 15-Feb-19 18:57:51

After my first knee replacement, I went line dancing and loved every minute of it. The only problem was that the room was full to bursting so there was little space to move. Now I have had my other knee replaced I was considering rejoining to help regain balance.

nipsmum Fri 15-Feb-19 18:36:46

I have never done routine exercise as I had a quite physical job. I have however walked dogs at least 3 times a day and at 78 still keep active with my Westie. No joint problems so far.

catwoman Fri 15-Feb-19 18:01:18

I'm another one who loves their zumba classes. Lots of fun & it does nt feel like exercise. Age 70!!

ayse Fri 15-Feb-19 17:50:57

Search for NHS exercise. They have Pilates for beginners, if that’s any help.