Gransnet forums

Health

Candles - a health hazard?

(23 Posts)
Telly Fri 08-Feb-19 15:51:52

Having had an interesting afternoon trying to solve a mystery. We have a cream carpet and I noticed this morning that there was a line by the window as if someone had marked it with grey a wiggly line, along the length of the window. Totally puzzled. Eventually work out that these lines followed the closed curtains, that don't quite make the floor. Finally noticed that the cream marble surround on the fireplace was also marked, obviously by the candles that I have been burning occasionally since Christmas. These are high quality, expensive ones. You could actually write your name on one side in the carbon. I figured that the line on the carpet was carbon, following the fall of the curtain. Now obviously we have breathing this in for the past few weeks. I have not done any research yet, but I guess this must be a hazard to health? The carbon on the marble and the actual surround has washed off, I now need to haul out the carpet cleaner to have a go at the carpet. Don't know what to do with the rest of my candles, but guess they must be headed for the bin.

MiniMoon Fri 08-Feb-19 16:04:14

I read somewhere that it is unwise to have scented candles burning for longer than two hours. This is because of the times and pollutants that they give off.
Mine come out only rarely now.

MiniMoon Fri 08-Feb-19 16:04:49

Times? Fumes!!!

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 16:16:52

How could candles on the fireplace affect the carpet under the curtains though?
I sometimes light a candle on the fireplace and have had no marks whatsoever.

Gonegirl Fri 08-Feb-19 16:18:48

I think candle flames give off soot. Like any other flame I suppose. Beeswax are supposed to be best. I avoid candles as they seem to burn up the air and make me sleepy.

Day6 Fri 08-Feb-19 16:23:43

When my beloved cat had to be put to sleep because of dreadful breathing problems, the first thing the vet asked me was "Do you burn scented candles or use air sprays?"

I did. He said I shouldn't blame myself but he'd seen an increase in respiratory problems with animals and was hoping there would be some research.

This was almost four years ago. I don't use either any longer. Their smell makes me feel slightly sick now. Open windows have become my air fresheners.

Telly Fri 08-Feb-19 16:47:52

The only thing I can think of is that the carbon was concentrated downwards towards the carpet. I only started investigation (call me Sherlock) after I noticed the marks this morning, one thing lead to another. They were totally inexplicable.........

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 18:33:58

........aliens!
Or gremlins during the night Telly.It certainly is a bit strange, was it a huge candle?

Interesting Day6 as DH always says the scented candle makes him sneeze.The cat always seemed fine though.

merlotgran Fri 08-Feb-19 18:39:42

DH is asthmatic so I rarely burn scented candles.

Missfoodlove Fri 08-Feb-19 18:58:23

If the wick is too long the candle will produce too much carbon.
Always snip the wick with nail scissors before each lighting.

Telly Fri 08-Feb-19 19:04:35

lemongrove, no not a huge candle, more medium size.
Missfoodlove , yes you have hit the nail on the head. I have contacted the manufacturers and they say wick trimming is the answer. Apparently the wick should be no more than 1/8 of an inch. However I have gone right off them....

M0nica Fri 08-Feb-19 19:31:18

Scented candles were listed with wood burning stoves as pollutants in the house. Read also this www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3457368/Air-fresheners-scented-candles-blame-pollution-home-kills-40-000-year.html. The title in the link says it all.

I have always avoided scented products in cleaning materials and cosmetics, because they can trigger my migraine. As for scented candles, or any candles, no, no, no and no again. They are a fire risk as well.

Niobe Fri 08-Feb-19 19:42:54

If you hold a metal spoon over the flame of a lit candle for a few mins you will see how much soot is produced. I don't burn candles because to me it is a waste of money and something I can live without.

Missfoodlove Fri 08-Feb-19 21:29:16

Telly, don’t give up on your candles. I really believe a quality candle can help create an ambience and can help you relax.
We had a nasty break in last Saturday, on Sunday, once CSI had finished and we could clean I lit candles in the two rooms affected. It really helped me reclaim my territory and feel better.
We also drank a bottle of chat with friends and laughed. 👌😉🥂

Gonegirl Fri 08-Feb-19 21:33:52

Missfoodlove flowers Well done for being so brave about something so horrible.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Feb-19 12:54:11

I never burn scented candles, being allergic to most perfume, but we use quite a lot of ordinary candles and tea lights.
Only very rarely have we seen soot gathering on the wicks, so I would suggest buying a better make of candle next time.

farview Sat 09-Feb-19 13:59:12

Health-wise...the best candles to use are pure beeswax ones!

Tillybelle Sat 09-Feb-19 14:23:28

Day6. Many sprays - not necessarily cans but the plastic bottles too - make me wheezy. I do not use any of them as I have some rescued tiny dogs. I buy disinfectant especially for dogs/animals and safe for them.

Tillybelle Sat 09-Feb-19 14:24:53

Forgot to add - I never use candles now anyway as I am too frightened that one could get knocked over and cause a fire.

I keep a few torches in strategic places for power cuts - which are many in my house!

Nanny41 Sat 09-Feb-19 14:27:11

Here in Sweden where we live, they are mad about candles, they are burnt eveywhere, in every house I can guarantee, they are always popular as presents,I have loads of them not the scented ones as DH cant stand the odd smells.I havent heard of anyone being affected by them to be honest, but it is worth thinking about.

Floradora9 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:45:58

I cannot understand anyone wanting to burn candles especially after my DS left one to burn and almost burnt her house down.

PamelaJ1 Sat 09-Feb-19 17:29:29

I’ve just left a post on another thread about my attitude to smelly air fresheners. Scented candles IMO are bad for your health.
I’m sure that you can find some that aren’t but its easier to avoid them altogether. What a waste of money.
I will stress that this is my opinion and what you want to spend your money on is totally up to you, as is your health.
As with most things the occasional candle won’t do much harm but some people have them or those plug in air fresheners most of the time.

McGilchrist41 Sun 10-Feb-19 08:46:08

I too am alergic to some perfumes and youngest grandson has asthma so I believe in fresh air if you can get it but these days you are more likely to get the fumes of a neighbours car.