Gransnet forums

Health

Information in hospital

(15 Posts)
Badenkate Wed 13-Feb-19 19:28:59

My daughter's mother-in-law is seriously ill in hospital, and spends most of the time unresponsive because of morphine. Because of limited visiting hours the doctors have all disappeared by the time they get into the ward, and they can get no real information from the nurses. The family really have little idea of the situation, and I think this is appalling. Can anyone suggest some way for them to get information from the hospital?

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 19:33:03

They really do have to be very, very insistent, almost to the point of making nuisances of themselves.
Ask when a doctor will be available to see them, and say that they urgently need to speak to someone.
If they have no luck, they could ask PALS to help.

silverlining48 Wed 13-Feb-19 19:35:57

Suggest family say they want to speak to a doctor and request A meeting with the doctor involved. This should not be a problem. Otherwise speak to PALS ( patient liaison) at the hospital. Or if you know the doctors name ring the hospital and ask to speak to his/her secretary.

silverlining48 Wed 13-Feb-19 19:36:47

Snap MissA.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 19:37:37

Sensible minds think alike, silver smile

cornergran Wed 13-Feb-19 19:38:35

Agree with missa, PALS should be able to organise this for them. Alternatively I think I’d phone and ask to speak to her consultants secretary and ask formally for an appointment, alternatively ask the ward manager to arrange something. It is sometimes more than difficult to track the right person down which makes serious illness all the harder for family. Wishing them well. It’s a worrying time.

Badenkate Wed 13-Feb-19 19:46:03

Thank you so much for your advice. I think that going via PALS will probably be best for them as I don't think they're emotionally capable of pushing themselves

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 19:47:58

Yes, that's often the problem when you're worn out with it all.
Pals are very good with this sort of thing, as I think they're relieved when its something that's easily sorted.
Hope it all goes ok. thanks

silverlining48 Wed 13-Feb-19 19:54:05

Glad we helped a bit Kate but there is Nothing stopping you or someone else close to the family speaking to the consultants secretary. Doctors are busy but not too busy if they are asked to meet with family to discuss treatment etc. Good luck.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 19:59:54

I just wanted to add that I think you can email pals.
If they did that, at least it'll start the ball rolling, if they feel they're being overlooked.

cornergran Wed 13-Feb-19 20:09:16

We emailed PALS on a Sunday evening on behalf of a friend struggling with a threatened discharge, she had a visit from PALS Monday afternoon. The speed could just have been luck I know. Contacting them can only be a positive step.

tanith Wed 13-Feb-19 20:23:30

Surely if she is so Ill they should be able to visit anytime they should ask if this is so and that a doctor be around to speak to them.

EllanVannin Wed 13-Feb-19 20:55:26

Just make a sudden appearance on the ward and someone's bound to approach you, then don't leave until you have the satisfaction of knowing.

Susan56 Wed 13-Feb-19 21:00:50

When my mother in law was in hospital,the staff would only speak to next of kin,my husband,even though we lived 120 miles away and the rest of the family visited daily as they were within 5 miles of the hospital.We found the best way to get information was to ring and make an appointment as you can’t rely on someone being available at visiting times.

PECS Wed 13-Feb-19 21:01:39

When my elderly aunt was in hospital I asked to see her consultant preferably or the registrar . The ward sister arranged it for me.