Gransnet forums

Health

Kidney disease

(18 Posts)
Fennel Thu 14-Feb-19 12:04:36

There are a couple of old threads on this topic, but they suggest starting a new one.
I've had annual blood tests since 2006 when I had a heart attack, but never took notice of the results apart from the cholesterol.
I missed last year (moving house) and the current one shows problems with kidney function. I've been called back for re-test in 2 weeks.
I've been looking at my old reports for creatinine level which is supposed to be a measure of kidney function.
Since 2014 it has been dropping, from 8.8 to 6.1 two years ago. Now apparently lower.
I've been researching online (not always a good idea) and found it's very common at my age - 83. Also related to BP meds.
Would you panic and ask for an urgent GP appt?

Teetime Thu 14-Feb-19 12:11:23

No I would ring the surgery and ask for a telephone appointment most GP practices offer this service now or if not juts say you would like to speak to a doctor.

M0nica Thu 14-Feb-19 15:17:48

I was diagnosed with low function about 7 years ago, I had no symptoms, I was given no medication and just called in once a year for blood and urine tests, blood pressure etc.

Then the tests stop. I didn't realise for a while and when I did I booked a test and then asked the nurse why the annual appointments had stopped. She told me that my kidney function was now back to normal.

So no need to panic. At the levels you mention I was told I still had twice as much kidney function as I needed. I think calling it kidney disease is a bit misleading and does cause one to panic.

Fennel Thu 14-Feb-19 18:16:23

Thanks to both - I forgot about telephone appts, I'll try that.
M0nica those figures were from 2 years ago, and I don't know yet what the recent reading was. I've been feeling very tired but put it down to the aftermath of flu.
I found a website about diet when you have kidney disease - I'll try to find it again.

M0nica Thu 14-Feb-19 19:26:56

Fennel I think it is misleading to describe this as kidney disease, compared with those with severe kidney malfunction. Kidney function does decline with age, but the figure you quote, similar to mine, is very much borderline and you are unlikely to have any symptoms of failure because you still have more than enough kidney capacity to meet normal parameters. My doctor was entirely off hand about it.

Looking at the kidneycare site, the recommendations for healthy eating are standard, as are health warnings about blood pressure and cholesterol. The need to reduce potassium and the like is very specifically aimed at people with kidney failure or severe kidney disease.

I would just wait until you see the doctor. If it was really serious, they would have called you in for an immediate appointment

Fennel Thu 14-Feb-19 19:37:44

"If it was really serious, they would have called you in for an immediate appointment".
Yes I did think of that, thanks.

EllanVannin Thu 14-Feb-19 19:51:22

I've had stage 3 kidney disease for a few years now and have annual blood tests. It appears stable but I have to go easy on salt and up to now I've been fortunate not to have had any water infections as antibiotics interfere with my warfarin so everyone's fingers have remained crossed that it doesn't happen.

Nandalot Thu 14-Feb-19 20:36:05

They always wait and take a second tes because the test can throw out random results, so perhaps all will be well next time. With age our kidney function does decline but doesn’t necessarily mean kidney failure.
I started a thread on this recently as I was shocked to be told my kidney function GFR was 48. I started on a restrictive diet and was surprised to find that at the next blood test it was 60 again. So just a blip! (I am back on a normal diet, never do salt anyway. Funny how you crave bananas when you can’t have them ). However, on being told that good
news, I was told I have extreme hyperthyroidism but at least the tablets will sort that out.

Iam64 Thu 14-Feb-19 21:38:06

Fennel, I've had stage 3 for years now. I've found that if I drink lots of water before the blood and urine tests, my kidney function is shown as improved. Of course the message here is I should drink more water....
Don't worry.

Fennel Fri 15-Feb-19 09:09:07

Thanks grin.
I think it's probably to do with my BP med. I've had similar before, sodium levels high. They changed my tablets.
One problem is that this is a new med. centre, last June, and they haven't got my history.

Fennel Fri 15-Feb-19 09:09:41

ps does it mean I can't eat Marmite?

Fennel Wed 27-Feb-19 11:48:45

Well I received a whole wad of reading material today saying the problem wasn't kidneys but but sightly raised blood sugar level. Non diabetic hyperglycaemia.
As well as that the appts. were all mixed up - I went this morning as told on the phone and they more or less said who are you? I've got another one for next Tues.
So I'm going to stop sugar in black coffee and change back from butter to margarine.

NanaandGrampy Wed 27-Feb-19 12:28:48

I have been going to a renal clinic for a year due to lowering kidney function , probably related to my diabetes.

BUT this last apt I saw a different consultant. Up to that point they had been talking about my kidney function being about 32% . However this new consultant said that they use an algorithm to calculate that based on a number of things. She then went on to say , at the hospital she had just come from they used a different algorithm and if she used that my kidney function was at 78% !! So she was quite happy with that.

Perhaps you need to ask if they use a similar algorithm at your practice?

EllanVannin Wed 27-Feb-19 14:12:06

After years of low readings of my kidney function blood tests, the one I had at the beginning of the year showed it to be above my lowest reading at 60+ . I've never done/eaten/drank anything different . I know I don't drink enough water but I'm never that thirsty and being that I'm always cold, I lose very little in perspiration so no replacement needed-------those are my thoughts.

How can you have CKD for years then suddenly it picks up the older I get ? I'm not complaining mind you but it does seem odd to think that an " old body " heals itself.

Also the atrial fibrillations have been fewer and further between. I'm a mystery to the human race.
I was always of the belief that things got worse as you got older ?

Fennel Wed 27-Feb-19 18:57:38

Ellan - I've got all my blood reports from France over the last 10+ years, and I showed them to my daughter who noticed that the so-called 'normal' range' for creatinine which affects kidney function reduced as I got older.
That could be part of the explanation for you.
But it's all very complex, way beyond my comprehension.

Fennel Fri 01-Mar-19 12:31:12

I saw my GP today to ask about all the confusion. He more or less said "don't worry about it. It's just something we're told we have to do. And none of your results indicate something serious."

EllanVannin Fri 01-Mar-19 13:20:10

Fennel, that's my way of thinking too. Positivity is key, koff.

Fennel Tue 05-Mar-19 19:26:04

This afternoon I had the appt with a nurse for a repeat blood test.
She was so positive, cheered me up! She said at your age just enjoy life as much as you can . Don't worry about these test results. And enjoy your glass ? of wine in the evening.