Gransnet forums

Health

Life after knee replacement/s

(24 Posts)
SynchroSwimmer Sun 31-Mar-19 18:30:12

Jura
I found your story very inspiring and uplifting.

Can I ask you about skiing after the knee replacement please?

I was hoping to get back to it but might have to wait another season...

Did you have to buy or use a special substantial knee brace or support? (My senior (old, wise, experienced) surgeon advised that I needed to get one if I was going back to skiing...so I am worried now to go without)

The physio seemed totally shocked that I plan to go skiing again! (I have quietly come to terms with the fact that I must give up my beloved tramploining and waterskiing...I didn’t mention those to the physio!)

Have you any other advice about your knee and being on the slopes?

I plan to go when the slopes are quiet / out of school holidays / in fine sunny conditions / avoid hard ice conditions / keep to slopes where it’s quiet.

Thanks x

jura2 Fri 01-Mar-19 18:21:27

Spring came - and went again today. Rain and snow- so I hope to get a couple more half days on my skis before the season finishes.

I suppose the way you tackle post op care also depends on expectations. I always had getting back on my skis as the ultimate aim - so hard work (NO pain, no pushing tooo hard) - was required. I am happy I can now reap the results. Can't wait to get back on my electric bike as soon as snow has gone (electric because we live in a VERY hilly area)...

jura2 Sat 23-Feb-19 19:38:44

it's all in the name - the Jura mountains- our local resort is Métabief Mt d'Or- but we normally ski in the French speaking Swiss or French Alps- but been all over smile

Our nearest resorts à Villars, Leysin, Portes du Soleil, and La Clusaz, Flaine, Morzine, etc.

Granarchist Sat 23-Feb-19 19:24:55

jura2 if i may be so bold in which sort of area are you?

jura2 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:55:47

No wish for any argument at all- and yes, we are all different. Surely Josephine does not advocate doing no exercise?

Granarchist - love Val d'Isère and Tigne- and still not done the Vallée Blanche. Booked twice with a guide and had to cancel due to bad weather!

If you had come to a resort not too far from me- I'd pop out to ski with you for the day. Bonne chance.

Granarchist Sat 23-Feb-19 18:49:41

jura2 I'm not brilliant but my husband raced - my children and children-in-law have all done seasons and ski brilliantly - 5 yr old DGD skiied black runs in Val d'isere last year(!) - I can get down most things given time and a following wind. My last skiing was in Chamonix - Valle Blanche which was fabulous and I have never skied better so I thought maybe that should be my swansong but family off to Tignes at Easter and I just had a sneaky thought I might pop out for a few days - but finance is v tight and trying to sort transfers midweek is not easy. Food for thought.

Jane10 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:01:24

jura I can assure you that the use if CPMs is disparaged and PT discouraged. Just read the library articles and the threads by Josephine the director among others.
You do things your way which is fine and suits you. It doesn't suit others including me and I've actually tried both approaches to rehab.

jura2 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:18:52

I've had a good look again at the BoneSmart site- it does NOT advocate doing NO exercise and is NOT against using a knee machine.

jura2 Sat 23-Feb-19 17:17:42

so sorry Jane10 , in all 3 cases, the patient just went against all advice and didn't do the work - and paid the price. Evidence based for sure- but we will have to agree to disagree, and that is fine.

Granarchist - you should come out of season- we went this week because it was half term for UK grandchildren- but luckily it was not as busy as last year. We were in Veysonnaz, 4Vallées (Verbier).

Lots of divergent opinion on knee machine- the surgeon and physio showed me how to work with it, and not be passive- and I am convinced it helped.

Where have you skied- and would love to go back? We are lucky we have a smaller but great ski resort in France, 15 mins from us- so it is great to go for half days when the snow and weather is great- off peak.

Granarchist Sat 23-Feb-19 13:08:47

jura2 you are an inspiration. My new knee was done abut 5 years ago but I have not skiied since. I'm not worried about falling but more anxious about others crashing into me. My physios (sports guys who treat British Athletics and Barbarians rugby) made me work like hell post op - so worth it. I'm from the physio and exercise brigade - my physio daughter said she had a patient living up four flights of stairs with no lift and that was brilliant for rehab! I climbed a mountain tracking chimps in Tanzania the same year as the operation - no problems at all - I ride - bike - do Pilates - play tennis but getting into and out of a narrow bath is more of a hassle. It is the most fabulous outcome. Post op pain was horrendous but fleeting. (Daughter says knee machine a waste of time because it is inert - not your own muscles doing the work) Maybe I will return to the slopes having read your post.

Jane10 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:07:15

jura re the cases you know whose ops went wrong - well the surgeons would blame the patients wouldn't they! grin
Evidence based practice for me every time.

jura2 Sat 23-Feb-19 12:59:17

Yes, I know that we see things differently- and so do our surgeons with tons of experience each. There is 'physio' and 'physio' and exercise and exercise. Excessive is of course 'excessive' and not good. But the right exercise, in the right amount - I say is good, and so does all the good surgeons I know. So we will just have to agree to disagree- all the cases which went very wrong, that I mentionned above- were partly the result of no physio, no exercise, not enough walking, etc.

Charley, I have been a skier for over 65 years - and have excellent technique. I have discussed skiing with the surgeon- and he said 'enjoy' just don't do the bump fields any more- enjoy and be happy, but remain sensible. So, on piste now, no more 'mogul' fields and keep on reds with the odd black on good snow. 2 hours in morning, 2 hours in the afternoon- strong muscles and a massive boost for heart and soul - and high fives with the grandchildren, who love skiing with bionic granny - Priceless <3

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:54:09

jura I do not ski so I do not know the terminology but it is when you are skiing, your knees are bent and your knees are bending from right to left, in time your replacement could loosen.

I am like *Jane" I did what I wanted when I wanted and my last replacement is very good and hopefully will "see me out".

Jane10 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:45:42

Totally disagree jura as you know!! Why would you exercise and force a broken leg and one which has had its muscles, tendons and ligaments pushed and twisted aside to allow the requisite sawing and worse?
Legs are made to bend. Excessive exercise only leads to swelling. You can't bend a hose full of water. Let the wound heal, elevate, ice and keep walking about the house gradually extending to longer walks and stairs.
I've done it both ways. Physio and forced exercise delayed my recovery by months. Taking it easy as I did second time around led to rapid recovery. My surgeon told me that neither he nor his colleagues would advise physio. NICE guidance found no evidence for efficacy either. That says a lot. Take it easy!!

jura2 Sat 23-Feb-19 09:40:42

I've seen it with 3 people - my mum, a neighbour and the mum of a oung friend. Thought the op would miraculously stop pain and give better movement - and didn't do the physio and exercises - and it was a disaster in all 3 cases, permanent crutches, disabled aids everywhere, and then wheelchair and residential care.

Prostheses have to move, move and move again and muscles have to be strong to support.

Farmor15 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:58:08

Thanks jane - just had a look at BoneSmart and it looks very useful. He hasn’t got appointment yet, but he’s being referred to surgeon a friend used and was very pleased with result.
jura I’ve already told him he’ll have to do the work afterwards and I’ll nag him?

jura2 Fri 22-Feb-19 21:33:24

Farmor15 - the surgeon said to me 'I can do the operation - but YOU have to do the work' - he told me it broke his heart to operate on people whom he knew had no intention of working hard afterwards.

Jane10 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:31:04

Farmor tell him to check the Bonesmart website. Its got a good forum for people actually going through it at the moment. The horses mouth info is very useful and supportive. Don't leave it too long!

Farmor15 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:04:31

You’re a great advertisement for knee replacements, jura. My OH has finally decided to see about getting his done, though probably should have done it a few years ago. Seems like you were very diligent with exercises/physio - not sure whether my man will be so good?

jura2 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:46:47

Ah GG13 - that is the one reason why I never fall ;) lol.
I stopped yesterday on a steep slope as a young woman had fallen and lost both skis and just could not put them on again. Tried to just clear snow off her boots and hold her skis still with my sticks- but she still could not manage. So there was no choice and I lay down to hold her skis steady and flat and help guide her boots in...But then I could not get up... and OH had to clamber up to help me - we had a good giggle and as we went down to the chair, she was telling everyone I had 'saved her life' - ah well.

No ostéoporosis here - one of the few joys of being quite plump since my mid 50s ... Gets me a lot of 'street cred' as people are always so surprised about my ski (and ex snowboarding) skills for my age and size (20 sad )

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 14:53:56

I doubt if they would replace mine, with dodgy bones it could cause more problems.

Jane10 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:58:36

Ooh I couldn't face ski ing but certainly feel that I got my life back once I had 2 new knees.
The good news is that new research has found that 90% of knee replacements can last up to 25 years and some are 40+ years and still going strong. Phew. Don't fancy having to do it again.
It's probably best not to leave it too long as it can lead to further damage to underlying tissues which can make recovery even harder.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:40:33

jura2 well done I have been skiing since my 20’s and skied last year (61) had good days and bad days(I have osteoporosis in some joints). My only problem was the one time I fell (my fault) I flipping well couldn’t get up without assistance, Husband helped with much huffing and puffing but our friends on the edge of the piste nearly fell over laughing ⛷⛷??

jura2 Fri 22-Feb-19 12:56:33

Every case if different - I had a terrible car crash in 1970, where all my right side was smashed - and was in traction with a pin through my knee for 4.5 months (7.5 months in hospital and 2 years to learn to walk again). Despite one leg being 2.5cm (1 inch) shorter- I adjusted and went back to normal life.

For me, that meant starting to ski again 5 years later- and later, aged 50, learn to snowboard. Two things really helped - swimming and more swimming- and Tai Chi (which meant I realigned centre and never had back problems).

Had the really bad, injured knee done 3 years ago and it was very hard to recover. Funny how opinion changes from 1 country to the next, from one surgeon to the next, and of course, from 1 person to the next. My surgeon advocated a knee movement machine- and lots of physio. I know some here who say those are not needed and possibly have a negative effect. We will have to agree to disagree on this- lots of exercise and hard work, and then ... swimming again- up and down legs rather than 'frog' ... Personally I feel all the above really helped.

That knee will never quite feel my own - but it is solid- with good muscle tone. I had the second one, which had to do so much work to support its injured twin - last year. Only half replacement required. It was like light and day- what a pleasant surprise- knee machine again for one month, twice a day- lots of physio, lots of hard work- lots of walking and swimming. I know, again, some disagree- and we will have to disagree to smile

This week, we met up with DD1 and sil and grandchildren aged 9 and 12, in the Alps. Got my boots and skis on- got to top of chairlift and thought 'oh my ... will I be able to do it?'

Hesitated for a few seconds, breathed, turn my shoulders to the slope into position- and woosh off I went. Rock solid, no pain. Took it fairly easy first piste- up again - and then it all happened- big carves, short turns - ma-gi-cal. And with grandchildren, OH, DD1 and sil all around me cheering me on - it was amazing. Only did 2 days- mostly reds and a few blacks for the soul smile absolutely loved it. OH taking me to our local slopes next week for 68th BD - can't wait.

I wish I had them done sooner- but was told in UK I had to wait to be 65. Surgeon here in Switzerland said I should have done them at 60 or earlier.