Gransnet forums

Health

Sugar imbalance?

(8 Posts)
BlueSky Sat 06-Apr-19 17:56:34

I have posted before about my pre diabetes test result but this was not repeated as I believe it should to rule out a one off result. I noticed that I feel bloated and slightly nauseous after a meal, I do try to eat little and often already. Also I feel sleepy and if I'm at home I feel the need for a nap after eating. On the other hand if I go a while without food I feel weak and must snack. It seems to me a sort of sugar imbalance, could it be anything else?

EllanVannin Sat 06-Apr-19 18:01:12

Were you borderline type II ?

BlueSky Sat 06-Apr-19 18:15:12

Yes EllanVannin.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Apr-19 18:34:56

BlueSky, I had the test a number of years ago and it came back as " impaired ", no further tests, no treatment but an annual blood test to keep an eye on the levels. I've just carried on as normal but have had periods of nausea which isn't nice and what I have is mint chewing gum until it subsides. I suppose if test readings increased then medication would be given. My own levels have remained pretty well the same for years now but it's not to say that I won't get diabetes as I get older so I'll have to stick to my daily regime of just breakfast and one cooked meal a day. Drinks in between, tea or coffee. I don't drink alcohol.

BlueSky Sat 06-Apr-19 19:14:03

Thanks EllanVannin I now try to keep an eye on carbs, (luckily I don't like sweet stuff). I used to drink alcohol but I am now virtually T total and I guess this should help too. Good to know that not all borderline progress to diabetes T2.

NanTheWiser Sat 06-Apr-19 21:45:16

BlueSky, it does sound as though your blood glucose is fluctuating more than it should. The sleepiness after meals is typical of a high carb intake ( do you eat bread for lunch?) and feeling weak (and shaky?) when hungry indicates a drop in blood glucose. Maybe you could ask your GP for a HbAc1 test as you are concerned, just to rule out glucose problems. Meantime, go as low carb as you can, it will help.

Thingmajig Sat 06-Apr-19 22:15:25

You could also buy a blood glucose monitor (Boots, Amazon etc as it's unlikely your surgery will issue you one without a diagnosis)) and check it when you're feeling unwell ... it may be something else entirely, but it's worth checking.
If your glucose level is going high/low then you can go back to the GP with the evidence and ask for more blood tests.

Floradora9 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:34:03

All my life I have had bouts of weakness and sweating especially if I did too much physically which was cured by eating . Eventually this turned into type 2 diabetes . I asked the consultant about the problem I had had and he said people who have this are more prone to diabetes . I always thought it would be the other way round . Now 19 years on from being diagnosed life is fine though I am now on insulin . If you take on board all advice and are sensible it really is not bad. I was not overweight etc.. as most type 2 diabetics are supposed to be . I feel we get a very bad press.