Gransnet forums

Health

Recurrent UTIs

(20 Posts)
chicken Tue 09-Apr-19 17:08:19

I'm just having the 6th UTI in 5 months, having not had any for years and years, Antibiotics appear to be working then it all starts up again, sometimes with a gap of a few weeks, sometimes only a few days. My GP says I should have cystoscopy but apparently "I don't quite match the NHS criteria" whatever that means, so it's just a constant round of surgery visits (2 week waits) or trying to contact the GP by phone ( dragon receptionist). At least the GP now concedes that I can have a spare prescription for antibiotics to get made up for quick treatment, but it's all really getting me down---and worried .I drink cranberry juice ad nauseam, take D-mannose, am awash with water, follow all the other NICE advice but all to no avail. Has anyone out there been in a similar situation or can give any advice. I feel that it is taking over my life . I'm in my 80s and otherwise WAS fit and well!

Susan56 Tue 09-Apr-19 17:45:55

My mother who is 87 had exactly the same situation last year starting in November.She was drinking gallons of cranberry juice and also had the spare antibiotics.She was sent for a scan in January and we have an appointment for the results in a fortnights time.Not much help to you but am wondering if maybe you could ask the gp to refer you for a scan.We too had difficulty getting a gp appointment and ended up ringing 111 at the weekend who seemed to get the ball rolling for her.I hope you get it sorted,it really does take over your life?

Fennel Tue 09-Apr-19 17:55:40

There are other threads about this. Sometimes it's linked to vaginal dryness - it was with me.
If so, vaginal HRT pessaries help.

Septimia Tue 09-Apr-19 17:58:50

I read that women tend to suffer from this problem more than men - can't quite see why, especially as it was a recurring problem for my FiL. Anyway, apart from drinking as much as possible, the article I read suggested that part of the problem might be because women often don't fully empty their bladders so the urine hangs about, causing the infection. So... take the time to make sure your bladder is completely empty is the best advice I can give.

aggie Tue 09-Apr-19 18:06:25

Cranberry juice is full of sugar , I gave up on it , I tried the Dmanose tablets too . The only thing about the tablets was they were so big it took gallons of water to get them down , anyway chucked them too . The only thing that helps stop it developing with me is very weak tea with lots of milk , no idea why , and coffee has me in agony now , so have stopped it ................ another of the joys of older age . I agree about making sure your bladder is empty , I was told to sit up straight and rock gently back and forward to get the bladder really empty. Doing pelvic floor exercise helps to massage the pelvic floor and helps too

shysal Tue 09-Apr-19 18:06:52

I had a similar problem a year or two ago. I was referred for cystoscopy as I also had microscopic blood in my urine. The finding was age related change so I was prescribed a course of Vagifem pessaries, gradually decreasing over a few months. Perhaps I shouldn't tempt fate, but I have been infection free ever since. A friend had a similar experience, repeated UTIs but no blood, and also improved with Vagifem, although she still takes D-mannose.
I hope you find relief soon.

Carenza123 Tue 09-Apr-19 18:13:19

I was constantly ill each month with a UTI which got me down. Eventually after being prescribed many different pills - to no avail - my doctor referred me to hospital for a cycostopy. After that, it solved my problem and I could lead an infection free life. Hope your health improves.

jusnoneed Tue 09-Apr-19 18:21:20

Fortunately not something I have ever suffered with but my mother in law did. The only thing that helped her was drinking Lemon Barley Water. Might be worth a try.

nanaK54 Tue 09-Apr-19 20:02:08

I use d mannose, but more importantly I stopped all caffeine and that made a huge difference

Susan56 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:03:37

nanaK54,my mum was advised to stop caffeine and it does seem to have helped.May be worth a try chicken.

fairisle Tue 09-Apr-19 21:10:37

Lemon barley water helps

Jessity Tue 09-Apr-19 22:17:52

chicken I have masses of sympathy. I suffered for well over 20 years with many attacks, latterly every few weeks.

We moved house and I saw a sympathetic female GP who explained that skin thins as we get older and those who have always been prone to UTIs suffer increasingly because the thinner skin makes it easier for the bacteria to take hold.

Nothing ever helped, I drank oceans of water, cranberry juice, barley water to no avail.

Lovely female GP followed NICE guidelines and put me on a tiny daily antibiotic which is a long term solution. That was a number of years ago and I hope I’m not tempting fate but I’ve never had an attack since,

crazyH Tue 09-Apr-19 22:27:22

I swear by cranberry juice...you can get the 'light' one.
At the very first sign of discomfort I drink 2 glasses of the stuff and I'm sorted. May not work for everyone ...

chicken Wed 10-Apr-19 08:29:04

Thanks for all the response and tips. I don't drink coffee so no caffeine to cut out. I already try to make sure my bladder is completely emptied. I loathe tea! Having had an oestrogen driven breast cancer, I daren't risk pessaries with oestrogen content. I'm waiting for a scan. So---barley water or ongoing antibiotics---I'll try anything.

Anja Wed 10-Apr-19 08:43:01

Do you drink enough water?

JanaNana Wed 10-Apr-19 09:50:57

Rather than drinking cranberry juice which has quite a lot of sugar, try getting cranberry capsules/tablets instead. Holland & Barratt do a "triple strength"amongst their range and you only need one a day, taken with food. You can buy various other makes and strenghts from elsewhere, but one high in cranberry content is much more effective. These are a preventive measure really to stop it happening in the first place. I have been taking these these a long time now and they really work for me. When I used to get these infections my GP told me two things.....be careful after emptying your bowels as to how you clean yourself afterwards, as due to our anatomy you can easily infect your bladder. Secondly some people can get irritable bladder syndrome through drinking too much caffeine in tea and coffee, which in turn can lead to infections. Cut back on caffeine drinks and replace with fruit teas or something else not caffeine related.

Missfoodlove Wed 10-Apr-19 10:16:37

I had the same problem and decided the antibiotics had to stop.
I saw a very good acupuncturist who started by stimulating my spleen to fight infection, she then worked on the renal system and it worked like magic.
I now take D Mannose as a preventative, I avoid Cranberry it made my symptoms worse.
I have not had an an infection for 12 months.

Labaik Wed 10-Apr-19 20:06:11

You can get the D Mannose tablets in a smaller size [although you then have to take quite a lot of them initially]. I carry them around with me all the time in case I feel an attack coming on.

Labaik Wed 10-Apr-19 20:08:58

Oh and I had several bouts of cystitis that were caused by vaginal atrophy and found that using Replens cured it; it doesn't contain oestrogen etc.

SalsaQueen Wed 10-Apr-19 22:44:31

I drink lots of water about 4 pints a day), and only 2 cups of tea or coffee a day. A nurse once told me that cranberry juice isn't any good - I don't like the taste anyway. I find that I have to force out the last bit of wee when I go to the toilet.