Gransnet forums

Health

GORD and ENT problems

(14 Posts)
Laurely Thu 11-Apr-19 23:40:18

I have a GP appointment in a fortnight, booked to discuss a persistent post-nasal drip and what I think may be a blocked sinus. Meanwhile Naproxen for bad back has brought back reflux, and my throat is sore (looks like ulcers). My googling tells me they may be connected. I wondered whether there is anyone out there with personal experience of anything similar and advice.

BradfordLass72 Fri 12-Apr-19 08:00:59

I have experience of both.

For the post-nasal drip I have tried everything, including Flixonase (tastes foul), prescribed by my doctor.

I've also tried all the alternative remedies recommended online. Nothing works for more than 10-15 mins. You may have more luck of course.

Because it was affecting my sleep, I started using a local company's nasal spray which stopped the mucus long enough for me to get to sleep but I still wake up with it later sad

I'm told this is good and worth a try:
www.botanicahealth.co.uk/shop/sinus-rinse-starter-kit/

As for the GERD and reflux, my doctor prescribed
Omepraxole but I never eat after 4pm as my digestion has slowed with age and I need at least 4 hours for my tummy to clear before I lie down.

As I have no TV and listen to audio books in the evening, it's easier for my bad back if I lie down. Hence the early (and very small) snack for tea. Try to identify if there are any specific foods which make your reflux worse.

I also have TENS machine for my back if it is very bad but usually it responds to Panadol and a wheat bag and a lie down smile
Ask your doctor about TENS if you're not familiar with it.

I do hope you get some relief, it's miserable to feel like this isn't it? flowers

Laurely Fri 12-Apr-19 09:52:45

Thank you, BradfordLass. I am using NeilMed sinus rinse at the moment (the kit comes with sachets of a saline mix which shouldn't sting, and a squirty bottle for making them up with cooled boiled water), but the term sinus rinse seems to me to be inappropriate because it doesn't get in there. But I will look at the one you mention.

Yes, and I have Flixonase as well. I agree about the foul taste.

The back came on this time after I put myself to bed for a couple of days with a nasty fluey cold that worsened the nose probs. My go-to back fix is a set of physio exercises, but it was too bad for that, and I was advised to 'take things very gently'. I had to stop being Grandma and be poorly me!

In my medicine cupboard I have a stash of things prescribed for recurring ailments, and I renew them on line so I don't actually see the GP often. I was hoping to work up an argument for talking to a consultant about the sinus/post-nasal drip, but then read that it can be caused by the acid reflux. So I was wondering if I should focus on that instead. I saw a consultant in May 2017, after an endoscopy, and was advised to lose weight (I am now a stone or so lighter, and my BMI is under 25), but I don't think I mentioned the drip then. Sorry, I am rambling.

I am grateful for your sympathy and suggestions, particularly the idea of eating earlier and lighter. Will discuss with DH.
Look after yourself. ? (hope that represents appropriate use of a tissue, not profound grief!)

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-19 10:10:49

I had a badly blocked sinus for over a year. A scan showed it up very clearly, nothing worked, including sinus rinses, and eventually surgery cleared it. When it went to the path lab, the cause of the infection was found to be a 'fungal ball' (Yuk!) caused by the aspergillus fungus. No idea how it got there. I now have to keep my sinuses clear with a steroid spray, Dymista, prescribed by the consultant.

FountainPen Fri 12-Apr-19 10:14:38

You can get into a vicious circle with these conditions.

PND is a result of mucus dripping from the back of the nose into the upper part of the throat known as the nasopharynx.

Our bodies produce mucus in the first place as an immune response to viruses and bacteria and other irritations and infections. In your case you had a cold so mucus was produced to deal with that.

You now also have throat ulcers which may have been casued by acid burn from GERD but bear in mind that mucus itself contains inflammatory elements which can cause throat soreness.

Naproxen is a strong non-steriod anti-inflammatory (NSAID) which will irritate the stomach causing reflux making the oesophagus and throat sore which triggers more mucus.

I'm not a doctor but know a fair bit about GI issues. My advice would be to see if you could ease your back with paracetamol to give your stomach a rest from the NSAIDs. That should ease the reflux which will ease the throat and prevent even more mucus production. Hopefully the ulcers will heal on their own. Perhaps gargle with a dilute antiseptic rinse to ward off infection.

Squiffy Fri 12-Apr-19 10:24:53

Another saline spray, which I find helps, is Sterimar. It’s a very fine spray. The pump is gentle, but powerful enough to be effective. May be worth considering?

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 10:45:19

Have those of you with reflux tried taking a probiotic such as BioKult?

Boots sell it less than £10 for 30 tablets.

I mention this because I pulled a back muscle in January and for 2-3 weeks could barely move and dosed myself with OTC painkillers before remembering I had a TENS machine that sorted it out in a week.

But that’s not the point I’m trying to make ...I ended up with awful heartburn (something I hardly ever get) because of the painkillers. At least that was my reasoning...they were not good for my gut.

Then I started taking a probiotic with breakfast and my evening meal. Reflux has gone. Completely. Now I just take some with breakfast.

I’m not saying this is a cure all, but just that it might be worth giving these a try working on the principle that at least they will do no harm and might just do some good. Start with the maximum dose and then, if they work for you, cut to minimum.

BradfordLass72 Fri 12-Apr-19 11:21:23

Anja Excellent idea. I've been taking acidophilus capsules for many years, not every day but 2-3 times a week.

As we get older, our guts need more help with the renewal of good bacteria which are so vital to keep everything from pharynx to bowel happy and functioning.

Laurely Fri 12-Apr-19 12:53:58

Thank you everyone. Lots of useful information and advice.

littleflo Sat 13-Apr-19 09:10:12

I take Naproxen and after a year of it I was told by the pharmacist that it is now prescribed with Omeprazole to help the digestive system. More recently the Naproxen has changed to Gastro-resistant Naproxen. It is worth revisiting your GP as new meds seem to come onto the market constantly.

Laurely Sat 13-Apr-19 09:21:24

Thank you, Littleflo. Will mention this at meeting with dr later this month.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Apr-19 09:36:47

GORD is caused by physical factors. ie slackening off of the muscles that close off the oesophagus, or hernia. I can't see how swallowing anything would stop the acid coming up. Waste of money IMO.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Apr-19 09:39:31

Post nasal drip is common with GERD (or GORD).

I would try to keep off the Naproxen. Manage with paracetamol.

Gonegirl Sat 13-Apr-19 09:41:33

There is nothing you can do, except increase the Omeprazole. If there was, I would have done it several years ago.