Gransnet forums

Health

Cutting out Omeprazole

(68 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Wed 17-Apr-19 19:32:45

Hi remember me? I was about to have an endoscopy as I was struggling with swallowing and reflux etc. It was an inflamed oesophagus and an ulcer plus a hiatus hernia. I was put on 40mg Omeprazole daily and I changed my diet cutting out carbs and processed foods. I went for a endoscopy last week and it’s cleared up!! My oesophagus was a healthy pink. Ive just got a HH and I was discharged from the hospital. The consultant thought whatever I’d been doing (diet, etc) had helped clear it all up.
I went to my GP today to get advice on my HH and keeping GORD etc at bay. He told me to keep doing what I’ve been doing and cut out Omeprazole- I’ve 4 20mg pills left, I’ll take 1 for 4 days - I asked about a return of symptoms if I stop the pills and he replied we’ll put you on them again.
I’m a bit scared of dropping the Omeprazole just like that having been feeling so well. Has anyone else done it like this? Should I ask for a prescription for use as a stand-by. A friend who’s been prescribed Omeprazole only takes them as and when - l want to be off them and I thought it might have been a phased reduction
Has anyone got any advice? Or reassurance?

BrandyGran Thu 01-Oct-20 14:09:47

Also I was always so very tired. It took 2dys to recover from an afternoon out with friends. I had to turn down outing,bus trips etc because my energy levels were so low. As an earlier post says Omeprazole depletes all the important minerals in your body. I'm fine now but I can't get those yrs back so please Beware!

BrandyGran Thu 01-Oct-20 14:05:23

Put on Omeprazole 10 yrs ago for acid reflux. Worked well but after a few yrs I began to get bad stomach cramps. Dr said I had IBS. 3 colonoscopies and CT scan later still bad cramps. 2 yrs ago after my evening meal every night unbearable cramps and diaahrea started. I googled Omeprazole and saw that it was important to only use it short term. I saw a new GP . Off it altogether and now take Gaviscon Advance at night on prescription and Rennies after each meal. No more cramps etc- HAPPY TUM after 10 yrs. In all that time no dr linked my symptoms to the medication or advised me I was on it too long.

Bathsheba Thu 01-Oct-20 08:48:28

Reported

aldrichbell Thu 01-Oct-20 08:42:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gwennco Mon 27-May-19 05:33:38

Hi there when i get to a lower dose as i withdraw from the omaprezole i will try this or actually might be good to try it now. Thanks

Gwennco Sun 26-May-19 10:28:32

Hi I have been on omaprezole for 20 years. When i have stopped taking them i have become really ill. I want to get off them as they cause other problems. I have been on 20 mgs twice a day. I have just cut out 10 mgs. I had a holistic doctor who wanted me to get off them. She had been to a big conference about them. She said i had to come off them very slowly as its like withdrawing from opiods. Since reducing i have had headaches fatigue stomach ache and more acid. I am starting to change to a plant based alkaline diet in preparation for coming off them completely. I want to be free of them. They are not good long term. If anyone here has withdrawn slowly and changed their diet with success. I would love to hear from you. smile

harrigran Sun 12-May-19 10:02:23

I took Lansoprazole for years but decided it was not a good idea with ageing bones. You do get rebound but it does settle down, I now just use Gaviscon but do keep an eye on any worsening symptoms.

annep1 Sun 12-May-19 09:07:01

I had not heard about the risk of altzheimers. Very worrying. I take omeprazole. I too watch my diet which limits how often I take it.
Can I have a link please Sparklefizz. Also, and I know it's off topic but in your research have you found any alternative to statins? Thanks.

Jane43 Wed 01-May-19 12:22:17

DH was on Omeprazole long term until he went on a low carb diet when he was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in March 2018. He no longer needs Omeprazole since he gave up rice, potatoes and pastry based foods. The worst offender for him was pastry which he very rarely has now. The only carbs he has now are wholemeal bread in moderation and oats.

Fennel Mon 29-Apr-19 20:48:30

That looks interesting, Sparklefizz.
I'll try it, those are my symptoms.

Aglassofroseplease Mon 29-Apr-19 20:42:44

Thanks I’ll certainly look into them - and as you suggest keep a food and symptoms diary to look for patterns etc

Sparklefizz Mon 29-Apr-19 07:03:37

Natrum Phos:
Natrum Phosphoricum 6X. Natrum Phosphoricum (Phosphate of Sodium) is a homeopathic remedy to help relieve acid indigestion, sour stomach, throat inflammation, and the sensation of a lump in the throat, vomiting, flatulence, and colic. Natrum Phos. ... For the relief of sour stomach or acid indigestion.

Sparklefizz Mon 29-Apr-19 07:02:44

Aglassofrose Your symptoms may have been caused by a particular food rather than rebound from Omeprazole. Keep a food diary for a week or more and see if you can find a pattern which shows an intolerance. It could be something very ordinary like potatoes or broccoli.

Farmor15 Sun 28-Apr-19 23:11:11

Ranitidine (Zantac) is an alternative to Omeprazole. It doesn’t have same side effects, and 150 mg dose prevents acid reflux for only about 12 hours, compared with over 24 hours for Omeprazole. However, I find if I take it in the afternoon it will prevent reflux for the rest of the day and when I go to bed.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Apr-19 20:54:05

I do find Gaviscon Advance in a bottle is more helpful than tablets.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Apr-19 20:52:16

Sorry I got the wrong glass of plonk.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Apr-19 20:51:36

Aglassofproseccoplease, acid reflux is a horrible thing to have to live with. I woke in the early hours of this morning struggling to breathe because my throat had become restricted through the effects of the reflux. It as terrifying. So please don't apologise for talking about it.

I'm sorry I don't know if you are having a reaction to stopping the drug. I only know there is no way I could be without it.

All the best to you.

Aglassofroseplease Sun 28-Apr-19 20:47:28

Hi all. It’s me again needing some help. I feel selfish asking for it when I read on here of the illnesses, bereavements, and stresses that some of you are going through.

It’s just over a week since I stopped taking omeprazole as, you’ll see from my earlier post, and I’d been congratulating myself on how well I was doing with no sign of rebound symptoms (just a bit of indigestion occasionally) until this weekend and I’m full of wind, indigestion, bloated and burping. I’ve had 4 gaviscon tablets just today and I’ll have another one before I go to bed. I’m being careful with what I eat as well. I want to keep off the omeprazole if I can.
Does anyone know if this is rebound from omeprazole, and if so how long will it go on for? What can I do to help myself? Thanks in advance ?

grannyactivist Sun 21-Apr-19 01:49:48

When I cut out sugar on a high fat, low carb diet I was able to stop taking Omeprazole altogether, but sadly I 'fell off the wagon' with the diet and am now back on the them. I find the opposite to Gonegirl, that bread makes my symptoms worse.

NanTheWiser Sat 20-Apr-19 18:11:27

I've just read this: www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/long-term-use-of-drugs-to-curb-acid-reflux-linked-to-doubling-in-stomach-cancer-risk/
Another reason to avoid PPIs...

Aglassofroseplease Sat 20-Apr-19 14:29:44

Alexa this is the advice I was given by the hospital:

Eat smaller more regular meals
Don’t miss meals
Chew properly and relax
Dont drink with a meal
Don’t eat heavy large meals
Don’t eat highly spiced acidic foods
Keep a food and symptom diary
Reduce weight if need to

I try to follow a low carb/ no over processed food/ Mediterranean diet
I found Michel Moselys books useful, especially the blood sugar diet and the clever guts diet book- if you problems go all the way through your digestive system. There’s also websites for both plans

NanTheWiser Sat 20-Apr-19 12:19:07

I don't think you really need to eat bland foods, Alexa, but cutting carbs definitely helps. Some people find that acidic foods such as tomatoes, coffee, etc., aggravate, it's really trial and error.

Alexa Sat 20-Apr-19 11:23:13

My bad! NanTheWiser. sp.

Alexa Sat 20-Apr-19 11:22:37

NonThe Wiser in view of what you recommend about foods and ginger tea and so on, do you think that a bland food such as egg or white of egg would help with acid reflux?

Also, do you know of any other really bland foods?

Aglassofroseplease Fri 19-Apr-19 21:24:23

Me too ! ?