Gransnet forums

Health

Skin complaints and Himalayan Salt

(16 Posts)
giulia Tue 11-Jun-19 13:24:53

It is not more expensive than the various creams that dermotologists have prescribed me over the past months, to no avail Nor will it poison my system as the various pills I've been prescribed could well do if taken for too long.

I prefer to experiment with natural and external components now. I am a little better.

giulia Tue 11-Jun-19 13:17:18

Was told three tablespoons for a 200 litre bath. First few times to use four or five tbs. It is a deep pink/orange colour. I am in Italy and paid E20 for one kilo. Have now used it four times and do think my skin is looking a little paler and is less rough.

Apparently, Himalayan salt contains minerals that ordinary salt does not.

However, am not out to convince anyone. Just wondered if others have better knowledge than I do.

polyester57 Mon 10-Jun-19 20:45:11

Himalayan Rock Salt is a non-renewable, finite resource estimated to have formed 800 million years ago. Once depleted, the reserves will be gone for good. I kind of doubt that at that price it can have much of the original in it.

Callistemon Mon 10-Jun-19 17:43:15

Himalayan salt for the bath is £4.99 a bag, buy one get one half price at the moment, from Holland and Barrett. I don't think that's too expensive for relief from skin problems - if it works.

polyester57 Mon 10-Jun-19 16:28:07

Himalayan salt is very expensive, I don´t see how you could have regular baths in it. You would need to add a good large mugful every time you have a bath, adding just a little pinch wouldn´t work . I have been to the Dead Sea, and a two week holiday (with regular immersions several times a day) has made a huge difference to my psoriasis.

RedRidingHood Mon 10-Jun-19 14:20:37

Surely salt is salt. Himalayan or dead sea salt will have a few minerals in them but essentially it's sodium chloride.
Having said that I'm in the same situation OP. Months of skin problems and no answers so I might throw a bit of salt in the bath. wink

Callistemon Sat 08-Jun-19 14:25:07

I do hope it works!
My friend's son suffered dreadfully with eczema but that was before I heard about this stuff and they have moved away since.

I bought some for DGD - DDIL did say it was rather greasy, but as long as it works

SalsaQueen Sat 08-Jun-19 14:10:30

I've just looked at the Balmonds products on Amazon, and I've ordered some smile Thanks again.

Callistemon Sat 08-Jun-19 14:08:19

I read about it ages ago, SalsaQueen, I think it is the ointment that a mother devised for her young daughter who suffered terribly with eczema and it worked on the child.

SalsaQueen Sat 08-Jun-19 14:06:21

I haven't heard of that stuff, Callistemon, but I'll tell him. Thanks.

Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 21:10:43

Has your son tried 'Purepotions' skin Salvation, salsaqueen?
I think it could be renamed Balmonds now.

Callistemon Fri 07-Jun-19 21:00:13

I eat it but haven't tried it in the bath,.
We have Dead Sea Salt and Magnesium salts; however I rarely have a bath these days.

SalsaQueen Fri 07-Jun-19 20:56:03

My 35 yr old son has terrible Eczema (He's had it from being a baby), and he's tried everything from the doctor - steroid creams, emollients, bath oils, etc. He's allergic to Lanolin (there are 4 different types, apparently), doesn't use anything with alcohol or perfume in.

He's just bought some Himalayan salt and is going to try them out for the next couple of weeks. It really is the last resort now.

giulia Fri 07-Jun-19 10:10:43

Marydoll sounds an interesting recipe. Please give me the details.

Marydoll Fri 07-Jun-19 07:51:03

giulia, my daughter suffers badly from eczema and seems to be allergic to most skin creams and I made her a concoction of Dead Sea salts, epsom salts, bicarbonate of soda and lavender to put in her bath.
I made up the same for myself, but put rose oil in mine , as I don't really like the smell of lavender.
It certainly has helped soothe both our skins.
It may be worth a try making the same mix, but using Hymalayan salt. I'm going to give it a try.
I hope you get some relief.

giulia Fri 07-Jun-19 06:59:01

I had heard that baths containing Dead Sea salt is supposed to be beneficial for skin complaints like atopic dermatitis and psoriasis but have just been informed that the red Himalayan salt is much better.

Has anybody any experience of this?

I am desperate to find any ways to relieve my afflicted skin after months of contradictory dermatologists' diagnoses and poisonous medicines which have not improved the situation but have caused me to lose a lot of skin from my hands and feet. Scary!