Gransnet forums

Health

Feeling weird

(25 Posts)
BlueSky Sat 08-Jun-19 17:29:56

Lately I've been feeling weird. It's a feeling of being not quite right, nothing specific, usually in the morning then I come round but not every day. I also don't sleep well at night lots of repetitive and disturbing dreams. I don't have any particular worry or stress now that I am retired, just an uneasy feeling. I am on bp medication but nothing else. I thought of sugar, thyroid, bp up or down, low iron, anxiety etc . I'm due to have some blood tests soon for the medication I'm on, wondered whether anybody can relate.

Elvive Sat 08-Jun-19 17:35:18

anxiety? depression? A trip to a good GP?

BlueBelle Sat 08-Jun-19 17:42:38

Might not be the same but I started feeling very unwell when I woke in the morning it wore off after a little while Then I stayed at my daughters and didn’t have the feeling, there was only two things different I listen to the radio a lot at home over night and slept on three pillows Decided to start with the pillows went down to one and have never had the feeling since
Otherwise go to the doctor for a blood test and blood pressure and check the medication that you are already on

Smileless2012 Sat 08-Jun-19 17:47:11

Could it be the menopause? I'm definitely going through this at the moment and am having weird dreams, waking up at least half a dozen times a night and not feeling myself.

KatyK Sat 08-Jun-19 18:02:07

I get that feeling sometimes. I think a lot of people do. In fact my son-in-law has just been here and he said that he feels a bit weird, not ill, just a bit 'off' .

BlueSky Sun 09-Jun-19 10:59:21

Thanks for your replies, definitely not the menopause I'm past that. Anyway will soon have some blood tests and all will be revealed!

M0nica Sun 09-Jun-19 11:03:33

Describes like I have felt since having the winter bug. Saw nurse at the surgery. She said 'Post-viral syndrome.'

I am not convinced, I used to suffer from that and it was very different, just a permanent feeling that my brain had turned to treacle and any effort exhausted me. Until one morning I woke up and it had gone.

This is much more variable from day to day.

Nonnie Sun 09-Jun-19 11:26:51

Has there been any change in your diet or activities? Sounds a bit like anxiety to me but I'm no expert\

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 11:47:42

Could be the BP medication. This sort of medication can be very hit and miss until you find one that suits.

What's the name of it and dosage ?

Luckygirl Sun 09-Jun-19 11:52:54

I agree - BP meds make me feel decidedly weird and I take the minimum possible dose. If my ticker starts to go haywire I take a bit extra, but I try to keep the day-to-day dose as low as possible.

BlueSky Sun 09-Jun-19 11:57:51

Yes EllanVannin My bp medication has been upped to 8mg Perendopril 5mg amlodipine and 2.5mg indapamide after my bp went sky high and I spent a night in hospital for tests. The diuretic has been added. Strangely it doesn't happen every day and some nights I sleep well with no troubled dreams.

Luckygirl Sun 09-Jun-19 12:00:43

Are you talking a statin? Some are known to cause nightmares.

BlueSky Sun 09-Jun-19 12:13:00

Luckygirl if I was taking statins I would certainly blame that but so far I have resisted taking them unless prescribed by my cardiologist.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 12:14:35

I see, BlueSky. Both Perendopril and Amlodipine are given in conjunction with one another along with the diuretic Indapamide.
Similar in treatment to myself as I take Bisoprolol and Spironolactone, for treating heart-failure.
I did once take Candesartan for BP but I never felt right after taking them and told the GP that I refuse to take any more BP medication. What's happened now over the years is that my BP has " levelled out " but tends to go too low at times.

Invest in a home-testing BP monitor so that on your weird days you can test it to see if it's high or low because either way high and low can give you the same feelings of " weirdness ".

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 12:22:38

I've been fine on what I take, along with the statins and warfarin------since 2007. A/fib was the final diagnosis which has a tendency for heart-failure/ attack/stroke.

It's just a confidence thing with me now and again if I dwell too much on what I take the medications for. A bit scary----but, I'm doing fine with minimal a/fib " do's ".

BlueSky Sun 09-Jun-19 12:34:39

Yes EllenVannin if you read the leaflets with the side effects they are more or less the same for most medication. When my mother in law, who takes about 20 different drugs, mention something to the GP they tell her that it could be any of them causing side effects!

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 12:44:48

Ooooh, BlueSky if I sat down and read all the leaflets on side-effects ( unless there was really a specific one ) then I'd probably get rid of all the tablets and visit the health shop instead.
In all honesty though I'm obviously better than I realised I was.
Years ago you'd be given a bottle of opening medicine for all your ills, hahahaha. Black draught.

BlueSky Sun 09-Jun-19 13:12:34

Black draught EllanVannin I thought you meant Guinness! grin

paddyann Sun 09-Jun-19 14:09:53

I think you can build things up until you imagine its something awful.I've had a pain in my shoulder and neck a couple of weeks ,I assume its my pillows as my sleep has been disturbed ,my lovely MIL has just demanded I get checked out as its often the sign of a heart attack.If I wasn't stressed before I am now ! Theres no walk in A and E for 25 miles and no means of getting checked so I'll call the GP in the morning and avoid MIL like the plague for today

BlueSky Sun 09-Jun-19 14:34:13

Paddyann I avoid checking my bp at the weekend in case it's high and I can't see the GP till Monday!

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 14:47:45

Well even a Guinness could open the flood-gates BlueSky, hahahaha.

EllanVannin Sun 09-Jun-19 14:49:31

The name was given to Senna.Bicycle clips included !

paddyann Sun 09-Jun-19 16:35:43

Bluesky wish I'd seen your post sooner ,first thing I did was check my BP and it was very high...even for me ,my heart rate was 114 too.So panic mode.Once I realised I was panicking about nothing I did some guided meditation and its almost normal again.You'd think I'd hav emore sense at my age

Alexa Sun 09-Jun-19 18:46:51

Dehydrated? Low Blood pressure? Do you monitor your BP?

Happilyretired123 Sun 09-Jun-19 18:54:31

My husband has had this on and off since starting on medication for blood pressure. Was on ramipril but now lostartin but doesn’t seem to have made a difference to having some weird anxiety type dreams,