Gransnet forums

Health

Loud noise before falling asleep

(16 Posts)
BlueSky Wed 12-Jun-19 17:26:07

This is a new symptom to me. Last night I woke up as usual early hours to visit the loo, then it takes me about an hour to get back to sleep.When I was finally dropping off I heard the loudest noise ever, like a clap of thunder, right by my ear. I woke myself up with a start and I knew there hadn't been any real noise, only in my head. Google was rather reassuring for a change saying that it's part of the parasleep disorders but doesn't indicate anything wrong. Has anybody experienced anything similar?

Ginny42 Wed 12-Jun-19 17:32:32

Yes, I have. Thought it was something to do with my tinnitus. It might also have been a car door slamming, so I wasn't very worried about it. It's not a regular occurrence, but I have had it more than once.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Jun-19 17:33:39

Yes, BueSky, like the crack of a whip. I haven't experienced it for a while but I know exactly what you mean and also what it sounds like as it gives you a jolt.
It is reassuring to know that there's nothing" going on " .

rockgran Wed 12-Jun-19 17:46:19

"Exploding head syndrome". Apparently it is very common and not serious. Very unsettling though!

Marmight Wed 12-Jun-19 17:50:07

I get that occasionally. Very odd, but so am I grin

SueDonim Wed 12-Jun-19 17:56:54

I've occasionally experienced this. It's astonishingly loud! Also I've heard a door bell ringing, also very loud so I know it's not my own one ringing at 2am!

BlueSky Wed 12-Jun-19 17:57:40

Rockgran 'Exploding head syndrome' that's it! That's how it felt and unusually for me I didn't worry, I just googled it in the morning!

Beckett Wed 12-Jun-19 17:58:03

Yes, I also thought it was something to do with my tinnitus

GrandmaJan Wed 12-Jun-19 18:05:16

This has also happened to me and often makes me jump. I thought it was only me!

farview Wed 12-Jun-19 19:56:03

Yes!! A few times...freaky...
Glad it's not just me!!!

bikergran Wed 12-Jun-19 20:21:25

I am always hearing( or thinking I hear) knocking on my door during the night.

Septimia Wed 12-Jun-19 20:23:38

Yes, it's happened to me, too.
And sometimes I'm woken by the phone ringing - just one ring - rather than the doorbell. I've checked to see if anyone has phoned, but they haven't.

JackyB Wed 12-Jun-19 20:25:11

I get the (imaginary) doorbell just as I'm waking up or going to sleep. But I don't hear the phone if it rings in the real world.

Katyj Wed 12-Jun-19 20:27:16

Yes I've had this, we've had a thread going before. Mine was a mechanical sound, quite loud too.Went on for a while then stopped, I have tinnitus now, so wonder if it was the beginning of that.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 20:27:54

No but often “fall” waking with a start.

SueDonim Wed 12-Jun-19 21:22:51

Oh yes, I have tinnitus, too.