Gransnet forums

Health

tingly acidic taste in mouth

(19 Posts)
MamieJoy Thu 13-Jun-19 16:32:53

Has anyone here experienced a tingly acidic taste in the mouth? I've read that it can be related to stress, anxiety etc which would fit the bill with recent events in my life. It came all of a sudden and I hope it will go the same way but how long is it going to last? It is most unpleasant and can it be caused by anything else and how do I get rid of it?

Oldandverygrey Thu 13-Jun-19 17:32:42

Mamie, I had symptoms similar to yours, turned out I had a hiatus hernia. Book an appointment with your GP, he will set you right.

3dognight Thu 13-Jun-19 18:14:49

Strangely, this was a symptom of me being pregnant !

But I do get it as well if I'm on antibiotics .

While you wait for a doctors appointment you could try yakult, and / or Rennies ?

Just my thoughts I'm not a doctor. Hope it's sorted soon.

Curlywhirly Thu 13-Jun-19 18:22:50

I get this when stressed - in my case, it's related to acid reflux. I take gaviscon or something similar. If your case is similar, and it continues, go to the doctors, they may prescribe lansoprazole or omeprazole which reduces stomach acid. Once you have less stress, the problem should get better and you can then reduce the medication. Worked for me.

GabriellaG54 Thu 13-Jun-19 19:12:35

Acid reflux can also be a symptom of Pancreatic cancer which doesn't always display early symptoms.
Ask doc for full blood tests.

Gonegirl Thu 13-Jun-19 20:30:26

My acid reflux came on suddenly. Out of the blue. Had it for years now.

Funnily enough for this last week or so it's been a lot better.

giulia Thu 13-Jun-19 20:53:35

I was diagnosed hiatus hernia years back and, I do get a very sour mouth, especially at night which I chase awaya with sips of water.

However, I managed to beat the acid reflux that is so unpleasant by eating earlier in the evening - Always finished before seven p.m.

MamieJoy Fri 14-Jun-19 12:35:26

Thank you giulia, Gonegirl, Curlywhirly, 3dognight and oldandverygrey for sharing your experiences. I don't feel as if I have acid reflux and have no noticeable heartburn. So it could be due to recent stressful times. I also had a mild heatstroke while I was away 2 weeks ago and got very sick - the salty mouth, followed by the acidic/tingly mouth started 2 days later - could be related but I'd expect it to be over by now. I'll follow some of your advice and take some Gaviscon - see if it makes a difference - if not I'll go to the doctor, see what they say hmm

MamieJoy Fri 14-Jun-19 12:40:10

GabriellaG54 Whilst I appreciate that you mean to be helpful by alerting me of the possibility of something very serious which is better diagnosed as early as possible, I feel that this is a very dangerous thing to say that early on as it can trigger irrational fear and anxiety

Oldandverygrey Fri 14-Jun-19 16:17:37

Hope you feel better soon Mamiejoy.

GabriellaG54 Fri 14-Jun-19 18:48:18

MamieJoy
Apologies. I thought it might be helpful to those who've had acid reflux for some time and routinely take gaviscon, omeprazole or similar.
Taking those long term only masks the symptoms if the roof cause isn't your diet.
In future, I won't offer any observations after all, who needs reminding of the worst that could happen. grin
Thanks for pointing this out.

GabriellaG54 Fri 14-Jun-19 18:48:42

roof root

Gonegirl Fri 14-Jun-19 19:16:43

I think that those of us who are prescribed medicine for our acid reflux are best trusting ours doctors, rather than anyone's instant googling on a forum.

It was a very insensitive thing to say. And most likely completely untrue.

GabriellaG54 Fri 14-Jun-19 19:43:24

Gonegirl
I certainly don't think it was insensitive just as other GNs suggest that slight forgetfulness might be Alzheimer's or anxiety might need the attentions of MH.
It is a FACT that one symptom of pancreatic cancer is acid reflux, gas, bloating, and later, pain in various areas plus other symptoms.
I did not Google it...so don't start saying that it's 'most likely completely untrue'.
It isn't. It is very true. I personally know someone very well, who took variously took prescribed Omeprazole, OTC Nexium and Gaviscon over the course of a year.
A year or so later she noticed that she was losing some weight, not a lot, about 10lbs but it was unusual.
She saw her doc who ordered a raft of blood tests just to be on tbe safe side and 3 days later she was phoned at home and asked to go into the surgery thst morning and given the results.
The pointers on her pancreas were in the region of 300+ although she had no other symptoms and a hands on examination showed no pain or lumps. Cat scan and barium endoscopy/colonoscopy followed a few days later after a talk with Ontology Consultant.
If she had ignored it for longer....

GabriellaG54 Fri 14-Jun-19 19:43:56

Ontology Oncology

GabriellaG54 Fri 14-Jun-19 19:47:26

Unless you know for a fact that something is untrue, don't 'diss' other poster's comments.
It was my sister.

Gonegirl Fri 14-Jun-19 19:47:39

I think it is very unusual to survive pancreatic cancer, as my very dear cousin found out two years ago. Many many people have acid reflux without it being that. So stop the scaremongering please.

Gonegirl Fri 14-Jun-19 19:48:10

Your sister was extremely lucky.

GabriellaG54 Fri 14-Jun-19 19:56:23

I wasn't scaremongering. Just giving a broader picture if a condition persists.
I didn't remotely suggest that it was the norm, just something to consider in consultation with a doctor. Nothing wrong with suggesting a doctor visit.