Gransnet forums

Health

Breast pain

(6 Posts)
Elliebeth Thu 27-Jun-19 19:38:41

Hi. I keep experiencing a burning pain down the side of my breast. It comes and goes and is not as frequent since stopping wearing boned bras. The GP is sending me for a mammogram although the one last year was clear and also a dexa scan. He examined me and pressed quite deeply ( that hurt ) but said he couldn’t feel any lumps. I wasn’t worrying before but now I am. Has anyone else experienced this. Thanks.

Grannyknot Thu 27-Jun-19 19:54:54

Hi Elliebeth I have had mammograms for breast pain in one breast only and it was all clear. That was some time ago and I had forgotten until I saw your post.

I also had really bad breast pain all over when I was on HRT but I was pretty sure the HRT had something to do with it because it only started with the HRT, and that all cleared up when I stopped taking it.

Try not to worry, the mammogram is probably just a routine referral in the circumstances.

Hotmama Thu 27-Jun-19 19:56:21

Hi there, I get quite a lot of breast pain and one of them has become smaller than the other! I have been reassured by consultant, mammogram and scan that all is well and that it is probably hormonal. Hopefully, your tests will prove negative and you can stop worrying

Elliebeth Thu 27-Jun-19 20:00:13

Thank you both. I have had pain in this breast before when using vagifem and had to stop using it. None in the other breast though. I expected him to send me for a mammogram but then when he said he would I started to worry. He also went over the top of both breast with a sharp needle to see if I could feel it. Not sure what that was about.

Nellie098 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:25:03

I had pain in one breast for several years when wearing boned bras and 6 years ago was diagnosed with DCIS and had a mastectomy. Then a couple of years ago I had pain in the other one but have had tests and all clear. It may just be that although you think your bra fits it could be that after constant wear it is just pressing on an area and causing pain. I have switched to Sloggi Zero feel bras which I try and buy in the sales and find they work just fine. So try not fear the worst,easier said than done, just try other non boned bras and hopefully, like a bruise, the breast pain will go away.

Elliebeth Fri 16-Aug-19 19:05:28

Hi everyone. Just to update for anyone else who has breast pain. Finally had X-ray, mammogram and dexa scan. X-ray and mammogram both normal. Dexa shows one at -2 which is osteopenia and one at -2.5 which is osteoporosis. Waiting for telephone call from gp for treatment. Still wearing bras without wires and much more comfortable. Thank you for the support and hope my outcome helps anyone else who is worrying about breast pain