Gransnet forums

Health

Knees

(19 Posts)
Number4 Sat 29-Jun-19 02:08:10

I had a TKR in 2016. Fully successful. I suffered a bad fall and required a revision in June 2017. After months of ongoing pain further revision revealed that the patella button was inserted incorrectly. This was corrected in October 2018. I am now booked to have my other knee operated on for TKR. My question is this. What was the time period after the surgery that you were able to kneel on the floor. I am unable to do this, and having recently suffered another fall, no I'm not clumsy it was just a fall, I found that I had difficulty getting up I would be most appreciative of any comments and suggestions thank you so much have a pain-free day. Lillian

Jane10 Sat 29-Jun-19 10:00:59

Can I suggest that you ask that on the Bonesmart website forum. You'll get responses from around the world.
I don't know if I could kneel - I can't bear to even try it! Yesterday was my one year anniversary of my second TKR. Very pleased with the outcome.

henetha Sat 29-Jun-19 10:05:20

I have two TKR, very successful in every way except one, -
I can't kneel. It feels weird and uncomfortable.
So I no longer try.

Charleygirl5 Sat 29-Jun-19 10:23:30

I also have had bilateral TKRs, 2012 and 2018. I cannot kneel, would and could not do so and I also have mega problems getting up. Luckily I have only had to do that once. I fear your kneeling days may be over.

Jane10 Sat 29-Jun-19 10:39:01

I had to do the online form re the outcome of my TKR yesterday. The only question I couldn't tick the 'no problem' box for was the one where I had to say how easy I found kneeling. My overall score was in the very good range. Its been a great success. -But I don't kneel!! Charleygirl is right.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Jun-19 12:58:48

Have you had your reasons for falling checked out ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 29-Jun-19 13:11:34

You really should take note of what EllanVannin said because falling can loosen the prosthesis.

Number4 Sun 30-Jun-19 03:10:22

Like to say thank you to the people who replied to my original post, it's so nice to know that I'm not alone, I expected I guess that I would be able to kneel sometime in future. I think I did not expect when I had my knee replacement is the pain and depression would be so long lasting. Many days I wish I had never had it done, seriously reconsider whether to have my right leg done in the future, I certainly lost my quality of life.

FlexibleFriend Sun 30-Jun-19 12:08:26

My surgery was postponed due to other health issues but I do remember being told not to expect to be able to kneel but everything else was possible.

MawBroonsback Sun 30-Jun-19 12:30:52

Well that Knighthood/Damehood might have to be ruled out Jane10 &Charleygirl sad

Jane10 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:03:03

Yes MawBroon that's the only reason I can think of that I'm not DameJane10. I'm sure it's the same for Ladycharleygirl. I wish they'd told us this before our ops. ?

Nannyxthree Sun 30-Jun-19 13:09:03

OH had TKR in 2013 and he can kneel for short periods but says it feels strange. Age and level of fitness before op. must make a difference. In his case (unless wearing shorts) you would never guess he'd had it done, but having said that he's not looking forward to having the other one done! When the pain gets too much I expect he will reconsider.

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:17:41

Please all, just call me Dame and forget about all of the formalities! I am sure Dame Jane feels the same.

I am hoping that my recent, my left knee replacement will "see me out" but I do not think that the right one will although it does need to be revised just yet.

Jane10 Sun 30-Jun-19 13:40:17

I read recently that the implants have been found to last for much longer than originally thought. So far up to 40 years. That'll do for me.

Nannyxthree Sun 30-Jun-19 17:17:28

A friend had cartilage injections into his knees (done privately and expensive) and he seems very happy with the results. Probably not available on NHS anytime soon, but if you can spare the cash it seems a good option.

seasider Thu 11-Jul-19 20:06:55

Anybody got any quick remedies for stiff and tired knees . I did an exhibition on Monday so on my feet all day. Last night I was at a festival so standing for a few hours and doing the same on Friday and Saturday. Despite wearing "sensible shoes" my knees hurt. I know I need to lose a few stone but looking for some temporary relief !

Luckygirl Thu 11-Jul-19 20:20:14

Good to hear so many success stories.

I think I did not expect when I had my knee replacement is the pain and depression would be so long lasting - I felt the same about my hip replacement Number4. I totally knocked me about and is painful still.

Back to knees - so to speak! I have just had an MRI on my knee and fully expected to be told that I had arthritis - it did indeed show that I have arthritis, but also severe osteoporosis, inflammation and.......a fractured end of femur! Apparently it is a "fragility fracture" caused by the osteoporosis. Now I know why it hurt so much! But no-one seems to know quite what to do about it all. I am still limping around on a crutch and hoping for the best.

GabriellaG54 Fri 12-Jul-19 11:06:59

...up Mother Brown ??

Fennel Fri 12-Jul-19 11:44:59

Nannyx3 - my husband had that injection too and the result was excellent.
It was partially reimbursed by the health cover we had in France plus another 100 euro or so.
Well worth it.
It's called Hyaluronic acid, which is also used in those expensive face creams.
And @ Number4 - sorry you're feeling disappointed - as for kneeling, I haven't been able to kneel for years. If I need to do something which normally involves kneeling, eg gardening jobs, I use a low stool and bend over.