Gransnet forums

Health

Bells Palsy

(14 Posts)
dragonfly46 Wed 10-Jul-19 19:39:44

My DiL has just been diagnosed with Bells Palsy. Has anybody had this? How long did it last?

Anniebach Wed 10-Jul-19 19:43:16

I did dragonfly, quite a few years ago, was she given steroids immediately? I am sorry I can recall how long before my face and mouth returned to normal but it did

BBbevan Wed 10-Jul-19 20:07:55

My DD had this several years ago. She too was given steroids immediately. It was several weeks before her face and eye were back to normal. But she has had no long lasting effects

HildaW Wed 10-Jul-19 20:36:01

My Mother had this for a while and it did take a time to clear. From what I can remember its a bit variable and will differ from patient to patient so you might have to tactfully enquire of your DIL what her doctors have said if you wish to know more.

Bordersgirl57 Wed 10-Jul-19 20:38:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dragonfly46 Wed 10-Jul-19 20:55:45

Yes she has been given steroids. It only started on Monday. She cannot close her eye so has had to tape it shut.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jul-19 20:57:55

It may take longer for her eye than her mouth but it does heal x

blondenana Wed 10-Jul-19 21:09:14

Yes i had this several years ago, can't just remember how long, probably 10 years, it took a few months to go properly, everyone thought i had had a stroke at first,i didn't as my brother had it once so i knew, but the Dr i saw didn't give me steroids, she just gave me antivirals,
The morning i got it i was due to go for a cataract operation, so that was put back by a few months
The only after effect i have is that the side of my face i had it tends to feel a bit tight when under stress,or sometimes in very cold weather

blondenana Wed 10-Jul-19 21:34:18

Very awkward trying to eat and drink, but she could use a straw for drinking as otherwise any liquid just dribbles out of the mouth
As it happened mine was in winter so i could cover my mouth with a scarf
Awkward trying to talk too,hope it doesn't last too long for her

dragonfly46 Thu 11-Jul-19 09:43:51

She says the hardest thing is not being able to laugh at the antics of her children - they are 4 and 1. They look at her wondering why she isn't smiling.

BBbevan Thu 11-Jul-19 13:12:00

My DD wore an eye patch for a week or so as she could not close her eye fully. You can imagine the comments!!!

Septimia Thu 11-Jul-19 13:16:31

dragonfly, can your DiL teach her children a sign for 'smile' ? Then that she can make that sign for them until she can smile properly again.

BlueSky Fri 12-Jul-19 08:53:03

My son had this when only in his 20's it didn't last long. I think he was given antivirals. Then it just cleared with no lasting effects.

MiniMoon Fri 12-Jul-19 11:00:41

I went to visit my late mother one day, and noticed that her face didn't look right. I asked her to go straight to the doctors. When she asked why, I told her to look in the mirror. She went directly after looking at her face. The doctor gave her anti viral medication and steroids I think. (It's a long time ago). She made a full recovery in a few weeks, and was forever grateful to me for getting her treatment so quickly.