Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(18 Posts)
Willow500 Sat 13-Jul-19 06:59:48

After several weeks of unexplained bowel changes (frequent diarrhoea) I went to the doctors last week and she sent an urgent referral to the hospital for a colonoscopy. People complain about the NHS all the time but by Monday I had been contacted by the hospital and the procedure was scheduled for yesterday. I was told to go on a low residue diet, picked up the bowel prep treatment on Wed, started it Thurs night (nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined but thank god for an en-suite grin ) and had it done yesterday afternoon. The staff (all ladies) couldn't have been kinder and the actual procedure was painless if a little uncomfortable. A cup of coffee and ginger biscuits afterwards while waiting in recovery was most welcome after 24 hours of just fluids too. Thankfully it seems all looks ok although they did take a couple of biopsies which will take a fortnight to come back but a huge relief to both me and my poor husband who was a rock throughout.

The reason for the post is really to say to anyone who notices any problems please go and get it checked out as soon as you can. Whilst it's embarrassing and not a pleasant prospect to talk about your bodily functions the whole experience is far less horrifying than the alternatives!

Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 07:57:26

Willow500 thanks for posting this. Luckily I don't have any of the issues that led to your referral but none of us knows what's round the corner. It was good to hear that all went well and that it was efficiently and pleasantly managed. Good old NHS. We too often only hear the negatives.
Thanks again.

Luckygirl Sat 13-Jul-19 08:36:43

So pleased that it was good news; and painlessly and efficiently organised.

Granny23 Sat 13-Jul-19 09:12:26

Coincidently, my DD1 had both colonoscopy and laparoscopy (thank you spell checker) last Monday. She was absolutely terrified about undergoing the procedures but like you found it to be painless though uncomfortable. She also said that the staff were beyond wonderful, with one nurse assigned to do nothing other than hold her hand and talk to her throughout.

DD's tests were to check for internal bleeding because she is very anemic. Given the all clear immediately, she will now be given iron and, as she is menopausal, a version of 'the pill' to stop the heavy bleedings.

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Jul-19 09:28:22

That is really good news.

I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago and mine was also pain free and I too had somebody allocated to hold my hand, not that it was necessary.

The NHS can work well and show compassion.

Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 09:57:37

Amazing the value of a hand to hold. It can make such a difference at a difficult time as I too have found. In my case it was a kind policeman. I've never forgotten it but this thread brought it to mind.

Nonnie Sat 13-Jul-19 10:41:37

I hope the results are negative.

Interesting about it being pain free, DH and I have both had this and we didn't experience any pain. However a man I know said it was the worst pain he had ever had and, even though it found cancer, he wouldn't have it again to check he was clear. Another man has recently had one and found it painful. I'm not suggesting it is because they are men but neither of them had ever had a health problem before. On the other hand it could have been the people who did the procedure which caused the pain. Just musing really.

fiorentina51 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:58:29

I've had the procedure done twice. First one without sedation and the other with. First one totally pain free but the second was a bit more uncomfortable, I had the odd "ouch" moment. Staff were brilliant and I was shown the delights of my innards on a TV screen as the procedure progressed. Must admit I found that bit quite interesting!

CassieJ Sat 13-Jul-19 11:20:30

My son has crohns disease so needs regular colonoscopies. He is still under paediatric,s so for the time being he has a general anesthetic. I know others with the same disease who have colonoscopies who have said how painful they are to the point the procedure has to be stopped.

My sister had bowel cancer about 3 years ago and she too said how painful they were. So much so that she opted to go private for follow up ones as they will sedate you.

I am not saying all are painful, I do think it depends on how much inflammation there is as to whether it is pain free or not.

dragonfly46 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:27:46

Good news Willow yes it is always worth getting something checked out no matter how scary.

Lazigirl Sat 13-Jul-19 11:33:06

My first one a few years ago was pain free, one a few months ago was jump off the bed painful. Both were normal apart from some diverticulitis. I do not think most people experience the pain that I did, and I wish I had opted for sedation which would have helped. Despite this, I would have it again if necessary as it can be life saving. Many areas are now introducing colonoscopy screening at age 55 because it is more accurate at detecting colon cancer than poo test.

Mirabelle7 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:35:19

I had a colonoscopy a few years ago after having bowel changes. I thought it might be another ovarian cyst because I had one removed in 1976. Yes ages ago in that long hot summer been on hols to Newquay in Cornwall had a great tan and ended up with a bikini cut for the exploratory operation. But this time a cyst was ruled out. Was given very strong laxatives, I ve never spent so long in the toilet but it definitely did the job. Colonoscopy was painless and nothing untoward found. It is always worth having it checked out if you have that gut feeling. And ovarian cancer isn't called the silent killer for nothing.Symptoms of that and bowel cancer can be very similar.

jaylucy Sat 13-Jul-19 11:42:11

I haven't had a colonoscopy but I do have to have a gastroscopy every 5 years as I have a throat condition that means I may have a slightly higher chance of throat cancer.
I can quite honestly say that the staff in the endoscopy suite are so kind - in fact one recognised me from 3 years ago ( but I had had 5 up until then !) and like someone else said, having someone either hold your hand or your arm makes such a lot of difference.

goldengirl Sat 13-Jul-19 11:43:31

Having had a colonoscopy myself I found the preparation worse than the actual procedure! I have a bowel problem and used to living on the loo but the powders etc one must take before the procedure itself meant I was rushing off to the toilet even more. Luckily we have mags and books in there - a real blessing!! Fortunately nothing untoward was found but I've had to learn what triggers the spasms - or else!!! blush

lemongrove Sat 13-Jul-19 13:29:44

I agree goldengirl ?the prep is horrendous, much worse than the actual procedure.?

They see you quickly in case there is cancer present.

Willow500 Sat 13-Jul-19 14:16:17

Yes there was one lovely lady who was just there to hold my hand - she showed me how to operate the gas and air - not used since my last son was born 44 years ago grin but I didn't need it. I did have the sedation but I was wide awake so not sure if that helped or not - when I had a dental op a few years ago I was practically asleep all through that. I did use the excuse not to operate machinery etc. not to prepare dinner last night - husband was happy to do egg on toast himself smile

Ellianne Sat 13-Jul-19 14:46:09

I was told that the reason for pain during a colonoscopy is that some peoples' passages are more difficult to navigate than others.
Fancy doing those procedures daily for your living. I guess it becomes second nature, but as others have said the nurses are good at putting you at ease. Glad the results were reassuring Willow500.

bikergran Sat 13-Jul-19 20:29:41

Must say that since my Colonoscopy my Diverticulitis which was diagnosed at that point) has not flared up.or my IBS I have put it down to a "complete clear out"!! with the magic powder mix that you have to drink the night before.

It completely clears the bowels of anything lodged in little pockets.

The nurse said something about red meat taking years to finally be removed from your inners.