Tarlov Cysts

(12 Posts)
kittylester Sun 14-Jul-19 18:28:20

Does anyone know anything about these?

Thank you

midgey Sun 14-Jul-19 18:45:33

Just googling the name!

kittylester Sun 14-Jul-19 18:48:59

I've done that midgey as it was a new one on me and I've been around a long time.

I've read the google stuff but wondered if anyone had real life experience.

kittylester Sun 14-Jul-19 20:23:37

I hope no one minds if I bump this!

kittylester Mon 15-Jul-19 10:12:00

Crumbs, I knew this was rare but has no-one on GN heard of it?

MiniMoon Mon 15-Jul-19 11:34:44

I've never heard of them kitty. I've read a couple of "google" articles as you piqued my interest. How strange! The human body is fascinating.
Sorry I can't help with anything Tarlov cyst related.

Sheena Mon 15-Jul-19 15:55:30

Yes kittylester I have one on my lower spine. This was identified after I'd had an MRI scan ... I have chronic pudendal and bowel nerve pain (as a resut of surgery) and have had a radio frequency nerve block for this, but that did not help... I still have the pain.

The gynaecologist I saw after the MRI remarked on the Tarlov Cyst, but gave me no indication as to what (if anything) to do about it, and wasn't sure how much it might be adding to my chronic condition.

I too have googled it but don't really understand the info !!

I do hope you aren't suffering . Has yours shown up in a scan?

kittylester Mon 15-Jul-19 17:25:54

Hi Sheena, thanks for your reply! It sounds as though you have a more complicated history.

It isnt me who has them but someone I know who has a few and is in serious pain, can only walk short distances and is deciding whether to have surgery to remove them.

I was interested in hearing about other people's experiences.

Lexisgranny Mon 15-Jul-19 19:49:16

Kitty lester, I have had Tarlov cysts on my lower spine for a few years now. They were found after a scan, 5 or 6 of them, they are oblong and showed up white in colour. (For some reason I thought they would be round.). As it seems from other comments although not rare, they appear to be fairly unusual. Like Sheena I have other medical conditions. I have had back pain for years in varying degrees, I have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, but no-one has suggested an operation. Truth be told, having had numerous other operations, I tend to be very wary of them. However, I would definitely not class my present discomfort with anything your friend is currently suffering, I do sympathise with her. There does seem very little information available, even some medical people don’t seem to have heard of it. My advice for what it is worth, is to explore all other possible causes before opting for surgery, however I have no medical qualifications and only speak from personal experience. Best wishes to your friend.

kittylester Mon 15-Jul-19 20:08:46

Thank you lexisgranny. The person is only 41 and has a young son. She often has to use a wheelchair.

mumofmadboys Mon 15-Jul-19 23:18:16

I've never heard of Tarlov cysts. Thanks for educating me!

kittylester Tue 16-Jul-19 06:21:32

It's no wonder there have not been many replies then momb!