Gransnet forums

Health

Changing dentist ??

(10 Posts)
gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 10:58:50

Just wondered if anyone knows how to go about changing your NHS dentist? I was with the same (single dentist) practise for almost 30 years and then he retired. The practise has now been taken over and I am struggling to get an appointment at all. I think I have a problem with a 4 tooth bridge I have had for quite a long time (its niggling) and I would have liked to see a dentist sooner rather than later, but being told one is off on holiday, the other is off sick and all appointments for this week are being cancelled. I don't want to leave it too long as I can only see it getting worse not better and I am terrified of having to have it permanently removed. I just wondered if you can just ring around and change? Assuming anywhere will take me and they have appointments of course.

Baggs Mon 15-Jul-19 11:06:28

I've changed dentist a few times but always because of moving to a new area or because of the practice I was at being sold upon retirement.

I guess your being able to change NHS dentist in your situation, gbob, comes down to whether there are other NHS dentists in your area who are willing to take on new patients. I guess you need to look and phone around. Good luck.

kittylester Mon 15-Jul-19 11:31:18

Look on the NHS Choices website Gilly. Or you can ring PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

There is a push (at least round here) to provide more NHS dental services. They are often employed by the practice and don't stay long but I recently saw an 'on call one' and she was brilliant

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 11:43:57

Thank you Baggs and Kitty .

I've rang around some local practises and a few are taking new NHS patients but (at best) there is a two week wait for an appointment . Oh dear.

kittylester Mon 15-Jul-19 12:05:14

Try PALS then. We found ours brilliant when dh was working.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Jul-19 12:36:56

I ve got a great dental surgery but the dentists change every couple of years so far I ve had four different ones A Brazilian lady a Colombian lady and a Greek man and just waiting to know who number four is They have all been truly lovely with this VERY nervous patient
As far as I know you can change anytime it’s just about finding anyone taking on that is the problem

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 12:39:18

Its proving to be very difficult BlueBelle I have found a couple that are taking on new patients but they don't have any appointments for at least 2 weeks !

Caledonai14 Mon 15-Jul-19 16:47:17

Hi Gilly,
In this area (Aberdeenshire) there used to be a dental helpline. It was advertised for people needing dental help in an emergency, but they could also send you a list of all dentists currently accepting NHS patients. I think I found it under local NHS online. Hope that is some help. And good luck.

M0nica Mon 15-Jul-19 17:24:44

When I did it, I just went into another dental practice and booked an appointment and stopped going to the old one.

It was as simple as that.

Mind you finding an NHS practice taking new patients was the real problem.

cornergran Mon 15-Jul-19 21:17:21

Is there a dental hospital near you gilly? Our nearest, 30 miles away but good in a crisis, offers emergency appointments for NHS patients who can’t be seen quickly elsewhere. Worth a try perhaps?