Gransnet forums

Health

Hearing loss.

(20 Posts)
Resurgam123 Fri 19-Jul-19 07:43:39

I have just been trying to find out more about hearing loss. (Me) I have found a slight hearing loss. I have just looked at this and found very little other posts on this . I am over the 70. Not unusual at my age . But there are almost no posts on this, short of those trying to sell us aids.
Why does it seem that hearing loss is such a taboo and should not be mentioned . We wear glasses without feeling shame. We talk about far more delicate and intimate health issues on here.
I have a lot of friends who have hearing aids.

kittylester Fri 19-Jul-19 08:08:14

DH uses hearing aids in both ears, nellie. He got his on the nhs and they are fine.

I suspect hearing loss will become less and less taboo as the population ages and needs to use them.

I hope you get sorted quickly.

NannyJan53 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:20:41

My hearing loss started in my thirties, and by the age of 49 I needed hearing aids in both ears. So I have been wearing them now for nearly 17 years.

I was talking to someone the other day who mentioned his Mum who was in her eighties, refused to wear hers because of pride!

I cannot understand this, I would rather hear than suffer because of pride. I know sometimes I feel people think I am ignorant as not hearing what they said, they think I have ignored them. (I have long hair so you cannot see the aids), I soon put them right though smile

Caro6699 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:37:37

Get you GP to refer you for a Nhs assessment and if aids needed try those first. They are quite small and discreet but may take a little time to get use to. But they are good
I am in my late 60’s and have worn them for several years, initially in one ear and then both, and whilst they cannot restore you to normal hearing , they do make such a difference.

Lots of friends struggle with hearing loss but just won’t consider hearing aids. Such a shame as you miss out on so much.

Recently bought private hearing aids which are Bluetooth enabled, brilliant for the mobile phone and listening to music, smaller still but give improved control over directional hearing and volume control. Not cheap , but as husband says,” no pockets in shrouds”?

cornergran Fri 19-Jul-19 08:39:28

Mr C wears hearing aids, NHS provided they are tiny and discreet. It seems to us far better to have hearing support than to struggle. Friends who refuse to wear hearing aids are a struggle to be with, I have a naturally soft voice and always come away feeling strained having had to work hard to communicate. Fair enough if the hearing loss can’t be corrected but frustrating if it can and the person simply won’t do it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:45:46

As you say corner misplaced pride can stop someone using hearing aids - I can't understand why. It makes life more difficult for them and everyone else.
NHS hearing aids are wonderful - and free, even the batteries.
First stop is always the GP who should send you to the right hospital department for a hearing test. There's quite a bit of waiting involved but hang on in there - the result is worth it.

Fennel Fri 19-Jul-19 09:24:43

I'm sure there have been at least 2 threads about this in the last year. But as you say a search mainly brings up adverts from specsavers etc.
My family have been nagging me for years to get them, I've had them since March. I don't wear them all the time, perhaps I should. They do help a bit. But I can't always be bothered, what with specs, false teeth etc.

Resurgam123 Fri 19-Jul-19 09:32:26

I had mine yesterday and getting used to them gently.
DD had been nagging me. As DDs are wont.

Resurgam123 Fri 19-Jul-19 09:33:45

Thank you folks.

kittylester Sat 20-Jul-19 15:50:26

The advice,m is to wear them all the time so your brain can adapt to them. Obvious really

Grannycool52 Sat 20-Jul-19 17:45:58

Resurgam, I have hearing loss and 2 aids. If you are in the UK, the organisation Action on Hearing Loss is excellent. Google them + maybe even join. They sell very good phones for people with hearing loss and other gadgets too. Also, rather than turn up the TV to the level the neighbours can hear, I use the subtitles as well as moderate sound and find the subtitles great for clarifying the bits I don't catch.

mcem Sat 20-Jul-19 19:36:51

Read the other day that there may be a link between hearing loss and dementia.
The thinking is that more acute hearing stimulates the brain and also that keeping close contact with others helps too.
Since the thought of hearing aids is no more scary than wearing specs, I believe that the possibility of delaying dementia would tip the balance.

Urmstongran Sat 20-Jul-19 21:23:40

Oh don’t say that mcem

I have an inherited condition which has caused significant hearing loss in one ear. It’s called otosclerosis and it’s when the tiny bones in the inner ear fuse together so that sound waves can’t pass. My mum had it and my ENT consultant said it’s carried down to the females in a family.

A hearing aid won’t make any difference he said. I’m not vain. If it would, I’d wear one!

Chewbacca Sat 20-Jul-19 21:41:28

This is a timely post for me...... I've been asking my OH to go and get a hearing test for the past 3 years but he keeps denying that there's anything wrong with his hearing (apparently, I "mumble"). This morning, as we were about to set off out for the day, I asked him which jacket he wanted to take with him. He replied "17 ml" confusedhmm. When I asked him what he was talking about, he said "You asked me what size ratchet I needed and I told you; 17 ml".

I have never, in my 66 years, wanted to know what size ratchet he, or anyone else, as ever needed and we weren't even talking about nuts and bolts and ratchets anyway! He still denies that there is anything wrong with his hearing. I despair.

jackfowler Mon 22-Jul-19 12:52:38

Assuming your hearing loss is not the result of some mechanical source like something occluding the ear canal that prevents sound from reaching the ear drum or some other conductive hearing loss then, no, sensorineural hearing loss is permanent, progressive and irreversible. Human hearing does not heal.

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jul-19 12:58:32

Aha!
You're another mumbler, eh, Chewbacca?
I don't know what's wrong with people nowadays who can't speak clearly. blush

Franbern Mon 22-Jul-19 15:19:05

I have never understood why people are content to wear spectacles, but so many people who need help with hearing will not wear hearing aids.
Loss of hearing is one of the most isolatory types of any problem, as you start to get more and more cut off from the world around you.
I have had NHS Hearing Aids (both ears) for about 20 years now. Every few years I am given smaller and smaller ones. Have regular check ups and repairs and batteries do not cost me anything. Wonderful part of the NHS.
Really fail to understand why people will not wear these, for most nobody else even needs to know. I still use sub titles on my tv, but do have the sound level turned quite low so suitable for anyone visiting with normal hearing.
Yes, when you get new ones, it does take the brain a good few days to get used to them and they can seem very noisy at first. But those few days are more than worth the rest of the time when i can join in normal conversations, etc.

Fennel Tue 23-Jul-19 11:29:14

The main reason I don't wear mine all the time is that they don't make a lot of difference.
Maybe I should go back and ask for some louder ones.

Fennel Tue 23-Jul-19 11:33:28

ps @ Franbern - I meant to add that my specs make an immediate difference to my vision.
I don't wear my teeth all the time either, just for show wink.

Keeper1 Tue 23-Jul-19 11:39:13

Hearing loss is one of the hidden disabilities. Shops, theatres, cinemas etc very often do not provide adequate induction loops at their venues. Even in lifts the loops installed are either not fit for purpose or installed incorrectly. They get away with it as the disability act states that a reasonable provision should be made and that ends up in a tick box exercise. The correct induction loop solution installed correctly provides a positive benefit for hearing aid users. It just needs people to speak out and demand better provision. No wheelchair user would accept a ramp at a 90 degrees angle would they?