Gransnet forums

Health

Mobility scooter security

(8 Posts)
Dragonella Mon 22-Jul-19 14:57:28

My husband needs a mobility scooter. We thought we'd get a fold-up one for the car... but if I can lift it into a car, what's to stop someone else stealing it by doing the same?

Anniebach Mon 22-Jul-19 15:07:42

Don’t leave it unattended , my mobility scooter can’t be folded up but I wouldn’t park it and toddle off .

Franbern Mon 22-Jul-19 15:11:05

It has to be taken apart to put in car. Also requires a key to operate it, and -even more important -the battery. Keep the key separate (as you would with a car key), I also keep my battery apart from the scooter. When I am out and about with mine, and park it up. Do not take it into small shops, the I just remove the key and fold the seat down. Have never had the slightest problem.
Do check the weight of the different parts if you wish to transport it a lot in your car. After my first one, I went for one with lithium technology -battery is very light, and so are the different parts of the scooter.
I was warned against the ones that seem magical as they fold down to suitcase size at the touch of remote control Problem with these is weight if it needs to be lifted up to go into a car, so unless you are extremely fit do be warned,
Any good mobility shop will be happy to go through the different type of models and show you how to break them down to go into the car and let you have a go this.

Dragonella Mon 22-Jul-19 16:28:43

confused If he can't leave it unattended, there's no point having it. I mean, if he drove it to church, he'd be wanting to leave it unattended during the service. If he drove to a shop, he'd have to leave it outside, etc.

Alexa Mon 22-Jul-19 16:57:45

I keep my mobile phone on me so if anything happens to the mob scooter I can ring for a taxi. The scooter is insured anyway.

BlueSky Mon 22-Jul-19 17:13:14

Don't worry even the lightweight ones aren't, they still need two people to lift it or needs to be split into sections to be able to carry it in the boot!

nannyof4 Mon 22-Jul-19 22:19:24

My husband has a fold down mobility scooter fits in the boot of the car,plus he rides in to shops etc,also goes in the lift with it,never had any problems.

NanaandGrampy Mon 22-Jul-19 22:48:31

My mobility scooter does come apart into 4 pieces for transport but I have a hoist fitted in my car so it’s not necessary .

If I drive it somewhere and have to step away from it I just take the key . Unless someone is knowledgable enough to know you have to throw a lever you can’t actually move it without having the key so that’s fairly good protection .

You can get specific insurance for it for theft , damage or even breakdown .