Gransnet forums

Health

Falls course

(7 Posts)
Caledonai14 Thu 25-Jul-19 05:43:45

I've posted a couple of times that I would let GNers know when a free course on falls prevention is running again on Futurelearn.

This started a couple of days ago but you can join any time. It is free but there is a pay option at the end if you want a certificate and future access to the course.

I did it free and I've noticed quite a few people go back and do it again next time it runs.

www.futurelearn.com/courses/falls

I did the Ageing Well: Falls course a couple of years back after a particularly bad fall from a height. I learned almost as much from chatting to the other participants as I did from the course, but was really fascinated at all of the ways falls can be prevented and the reassurances that everybody falls and it's not as much a natural result of ageing as we all might think.

Thorntrees Thu 25-Jul-19 08:06:19

I can agree with Caledonail 4. I did this course some time ago. It gives some very practical advice about avoiding falls at home, just little things really that I hadn’t thought about. Future learn is a great free resource, the courses on nutrition, food as medicine for example are very informative.

BlueSky Thu 25-Jul-19 08:38:07

Thanks will have a look! smile

Davida1968 Thu 25-Jul-19 08:46:42

This looks very good. Thank you, Calendonai4 for flagging it up.

annodomini Thu 25-Jul-19 09:21:58

I did that course after a succession of falls. It made me aware of risk factors. At the same time, my GP made an appointment for me at the Falls Clinic at a local hospital run by a consultant in elderly persons' medicine. She gave me a full physical examination which assured me that there was no neurological reason for my falls. The procedure was very much the same as the one depicted in the Future Learn course. I am now much more careful where I put my feet - under orders from my DSs too!

Caledonai14 Thu 25-Jul-19 11:01:58

Thanks to all who have given their experience of the course. I am still doing little things (like nothing left around doorways and at the top or bottom of the stairs). The balance exercises help too. However, probably the best outcome was having the courage - and practical advice - to allow me to stop fearing slipping at the edge of the swimming pool.

One of the risk factors for a fall is having a previous fall. It was so good to learn that I was not alone with my fears and my only regret is that there does not seem to be a falls clinic locally, though that may have changed because a young physiotherapist who took the course seemed keen to put a lot of what we learned into practice. I hope she was successful.

Good luck to all who take part. I'm hoping to repeat the Falls course next time round as I have two online courses on the go just now and did not realise my favourite course (from the way it was run and the good it did) was coming up.

flowers to Newcastle University's Falls Clinic for helping so many with this outreach.

Septimia Thu 25-Jul-19 11:05:36

I did this course, mainly for ideas to keep my FiL safe. I thought it was very useful.
I fall quite often because, like my mum, I'm expert at turning my ankle over! Twice I did that in the middle of town and each time a young man that I wouldn't normally have given the time of day to came and helped me up (not that I needed help, but I appreciated the kindness). Unfortunately the course didn't help much with weak ankles.