Gransnet forums

Health

Dialysis Patient Visiting UK

(12 Posts)
Paulgoa Thu 01-Aug-19 19:10:53

Hi, I am a kidney dialysis patient and visiting the UK, I am unable to book and slots for my dialysis, which I would require two times a week for three weeks. This is starting 6th Aug, can anyone help here ?

fizzers Thu 01-Aug-19 19:16:18

Have a look at this site, I don't know if it will be of help to yu .

dialysisfreedom.co.uk/

paddyann Thu 01-Aug-19 19:18:39

I think it depends where you'll be based .You could find out by asking at a local hospital or GP surgery and see if they can advise.Good luck I hope you can get arrangements made.

Paulgoa Thu 01-Aug-19 19:20:11

Thanks @fizzers, tried that link however they are fully booked sad

fizzers Thu 01-Aug-19 19:21:34

is there another centre you could go to?

Paulgoa Thu 01-Aug-19 19:22:52

I will b based at Southampton @paddyann , and m travelling from India, my sister did check in most of the local hospitals there and all are full..my full trip is jeopardy because of this hurdle sadv

Paulgoa Thu 01-Aug-19 19:24:20

Now I'm okay to any centre even if it means going a distance..but not getting any bookings

Paulgoa Thu 01-Aug-19 19:30:15

I have been mailing many centre's but with no avail..now in desperation I'm okay to travel from Southampton to London too for the dialysis. Provided I get a slot there too..

tanith Thu 01-Aug-19 21:13:17

Paulgoa maybe you put off your trip till you’ve sorted out having your dialysis here in the U.K. you have left it very late if you are arriving in 5 days. You should really have sorted this a long time ago.
Good luck I hope you make it.

SueDonim Thu 01-Aug-19 21:56:26

Are you talking about private or NHS? I wonder if a private clinic might be more likely to accept you.

I know of a Canadian who is planning to visit London but needs regular injections. They can't find anyone who is prepared to treat them without first assessing them and carrying out tests to ensure that they are on the correct medication. Nor will they administer the medication if the patient brings their own. The medication may not be licenced in the UK or it may not have been stored correctly or it could have been tampered with. In all situations, the doctor's insurance would be invalid.

EllanVannin Thu 01-Aug-19 22:09:35

Sign on with a GP local to where you are.

SueDonim Thu 01-Aug-19 22:52:27

This article covers not just the UK but may be of use to you. www.itij.com/IHHR/feature/cost-safe-dialysis

Also www.bupacromwellhospital.com/services-and-specialties/dialysis/