Gransnet forums

Health

Endoscopy/Colonoscop y.

(11 Posts)
Willow500 Mon 12-Aug-19 18:49:32

I had a colonoscopy a month ago - as everyone said it was really not a problem apart from having to drink the litre of bowel prep the night before and on the morning. Don't move too far from the loo grin Just had the results back today which were all clear!

I've not had an endoscopy so can't comment on that.

Good luck!

Fennel Mon 12-Aug-19 18:18:06

I had the colonoscopy this morning. The enema at home was the worst bit.
Once I was in the hospital everything happened quickly - altogether about 2 hours. The test itself 10 minutes.
I was able to watch on a screen as the camera scanned my bowel - amazing! you don't have to watch. The Dr. found 2 minor problems TG nothing serious.
Tricia Is your anxiety mainly because of the reason for the tests and what they might reveal? If so it's a long time to wait and I would get another appt. with your GP to discuss this.

EllanVannin Fri 09-Aug-19 14:09:04

The only thing I had was a thin tube complete with camera on the end, up my nose and down my throat to highlight the thyroid/goitre. That tickled but made me gag too and I felt a right wally, so apologised. Even fine needle biopsies in my neck didn't hurt.

Endoscopy/Colonoscopy are now quite straightforward procedures with little to worry about after it apart from wind perhaps or bloating----or a sore throat at the other end. I wouldn't say it was anything to be scared about, it's a preventative procedure and many are carried out.

joannapiano Fri 09-Aug-19 12:47:32

I used to make appointments at a hospital and always thought having these procedures would be my worst nightmare. A couple of years ago I had to have both, had light sedation and it was fine!

Fennel Fri 09-Aug-19 12:38:41

I'm having a colonoscopy on Monday and although I've had one ages ago I'm a bit worried in case they find something not good. Also had an endoscopy recently.
It's a follow-up from my recent hernia ops. when I had an inflamed large bowel.
They've sent me some enema stuff to use before I go there. I'm not looking forward to doing that.
Tricia - the procedures themselves aren't too bad. The staff will try their best to reassure you.

Ellie Anne Fri 09-Aug-19 12:38:00

I had that last year. The preparation was a bit unpleasant but with sedation the procedure was fine. I too was terrified but it was ok and if I had to have it again I would not be worried.

harrigran Fri 09-Aug-19 12:17:30

Would rather have a colonoscopy than a gastroscopy even with all the prep. Not pleasant but it only lasts about twenty minutes. Do accept the sedation, they never give you enough to make you groggy.
I have just had my 7th.

Ngaio1 Fri 09-Aug-19 12:10:53

Both a bit of a doddle really. Worst part is the day or so drinking the special gunge to clear out your bowel. (and dashing to the loo so often).

Welshwife Fri 09-Aug-19 12:05:31

I have had both these procedures and no trouble with either. For the colonoscopy I was given a list of things I could eat/not eat and started this diet a day early. The surgeon doing the job commented on what a lovely clean bowel I had - felt quite proud!

fizzers Fri 09-Aug-19 11:52:27

I've had endoscopies, without sedation, the last one made me gag, but tbh, it's nothing to be frightened or scared of.

Tricia55 Fri 09-Aug-19 11:25:59

Good day fellow grans., I'm due to have both above procedures back to back on the 2nd September, to say I'm terrified is a bit of an understatement.
I've asked for sedation, which I was advised to do by the lady who made my appointment at the clinic.
Can anyone give me reassuring advice.
Triciax