Gransnet forums

Health

Stair Lifts

(5 Posts)
DaisyL Fri 09-Aug-19 18:59:51

Having just spoken to one of my friends I thought I would pass on a tip. She and her husband have just been panicked into buying a stair lift for £6,000! When my husband was ill we were advised to hire one - typically these lifts are not used for very long and if you buy one it is most unlikely that the company will buy it back. If you have a long term problem it is probably worth buying one but renting a re-conditioned one is a really good option for most people - we only had ours for six months before my husband died.

M0nica Fri 09-Aug-19 19:34:25

That was a lot of money to pay. A reputable company, cannot remember which, was advertising stair lifts from £1500 recently.

That may be a second hand one, but £6,000 sounds steep, unless they have a very awkward stairs.

FlexibleFriend Sat 10-Aug-19 14:26:26

Stairlifts new are about 2 grand mine would be 6 grand as my stairs double back on themselves. It's the number of turns that increases the price. It's usually only straight ones that are available 2nd hand.

BlueSky Sun 11-Aug-19 09:12:28

Yes only straight stair lifts may be bought back by firm for resale second hand at the fraction of the original price. Otherwise they actually charge you to remove the item!

Charleygirl5 Sun 11-Aug-19 09:20:40

I had my straight stairlift fitted in 2009 and it cost me around £2000 but for me it has been worth every penny. Repairs can be costly but I try not to be going up and down stairs unnecessarily.

Friends of mine had one fitted by their local council but their stairlift is much bulkier than mine.