Gransnet forums

Health

Hyper blood test

(13 Posts)
blondenana Sat 10-Aug-19 16:23:06

Does anyone know what this is ? my sister has been told she has to have one, but as usual didn't ask what it is or why,
It sounds like something to do with Diabetes but she says she has had that one,in with her normal one

jura2 Sat 10-Aug-19 16:25:42

Hyper or Hypo? Possibly thyroïd function as the two often go together.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Aug-19 16:30:44

Has she got the word right I ve not heard of a hyper blood test nor has google

Elegran Sat 10-Aug-19 16:55:45

I suspect she has only caught half the word, It is probably a blood test to see whether she is hyper-something or hypo-something - too high or low a level of something or other. Most medical tests measure whether something is too high or too low, so it could be anything!

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 18:23:30

There are a few " hyper " blood tests but it depends what the hyper is.

Farmor15 Sat 10-Aug-19 18:52:00

One likelihood is for hyperthyroidism. Normal thyroid test just looks at TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), but if this is very low, they will test for the actual thyroid hormone, usually T4. Suggest to her that she ask more questions and get them to write down what test is for. It’s important to understand own health issues, or have a relative know and explain.

wildswan16 Sat 10-Aug-19 19:34:25

As others have said, no such thing as a "hyper" blood test. Could be for thyroid, or glucose, or cholesterol, or maybe something else entirely!

blondenana Sat 10-Aug-19 21:36:50

Thanks for replies, i suggested thyroid, but that is my sister, she doesn't ask questions,she said she will ask when she goes for it,
It's not that she doesn't understand, she doesn't listen,ad she lives miles away from me,but her family live close to her,
I meant thyroid not diabetes ,no idea why i said that,as it was thyroid i suggested to her on the ohone

Eve1 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:26:46

Hi I’ve had bilateral total knee replacement on 09/08/19 and I would really like to talk to people who’ve had this, I’m finding the pain pretty awful, especially at night, like a constant throb whch doesn’t eleviate even with strong painkillers
Thank you in advance

hapgran Sun 18-Aug-19 09:07:31

You need to start a new thread, evel, and give it a title so people can see what you want to talk about. If you ask on this discussion the title is about hyper blood tests...

harrigran Sun 18-Aug-19 09:26:14

Could it possibly be a blood test for Helicobacter pylori often shortened to H pylori ? Your sister may have misheard. I have just had tests for this and it was referred to as the latter.

Farmor15 Sun 18-Aug-19 15:57:48

Evel better to start new thread with title related to knee replacement, but my husband had both knees replaced just before Easter. He had a lot of pain the first few weeks, but found ice packs helped a bit. After a few weeks it was a bit better and after 6 weeks there was big improvement. He took the max dose of paracetamol recommended and still takes some, and ibuprofen. But now, 4 months after op, he can do a lot of things he couldn’t do before, like cycling and has very little pain.
A website recommended by another poster here is very helpful - bonesmart.org.

blondenana Mon 19-Aug-19 08:53:07

Thanks all for suggestions, it apparently was for hypertension, she doesn't know why as she had all blood tests etc,done the day before
All i can think of is her blood pressure reading wasn't correct or some doubt about it
She is already on 2 meds for blood pressure